Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Skid Row -- Toronto, ON -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 06-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Depends. If the shirts suck, I'm not going to buy one for the sake of it. Some shows I got to with the absolute intention to buy a shirt because I know it's going to be a memorable/significant show or tour, but when I get there they suck. Same goes for if they're really over-priced. This year was the first Sweden Rock Festival in 7 years that I didn't get any shirts at all (I normally buy a festival one and at least one band one), because of a combination of suckage and bad prices.

Other times I'll go with no intention at all of getting a shirt, but if the band blow me away, and they have a cool shirt that's reasonably priced, I might go for it.

Basically it has to be a great band, a good show, a good design, and a good price. Otherwise, no.

As for things which aren't shirts, I very, very occasionally will buy a poster (this has happened about three times - Rob Zombie, Cathedral, Damian Wilson).

I never buy music unless it's a) exclusive to the tour, or b) not exclusive, but not commercially available in the UK. And in both of those cases, it has to be reasonably priced. Recent examples of this include the Scion Presents Saint Vitus Live 10", the Ultra Electric Mega Galactic's new EP, the DIY Spirit Caravan live album, and the Maiden United 'The Trooper' CD single, all of which were either only available at the show, or generally only available online from other countries.
Pretty much all of this, except the last paragraph. I actually refrain from buying CD's that I know for sure I want to own if I know the band is coming on tour soon, as I prefer to buy the disc from the band themselves at the merch table. They get 100% of the revenue that way, which is why I buy music in the first place - to support the artists themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
For shirts/jackets/hoodies/etc., never. Nobody ever has my size.
Brother, I can relate. I'd have a lot more shirts if I didn't need at least a XXL in everything (and I prefer XXXL if they have it). It makes me laugh sometimes because, for example, I go to a lot of post-metal / post-rock shows which are frequented by a lot of hipsters and such, and they never seem to have anything larger than XL (and sometimes not even that big). I end up thinking things like, "do they only make hipsters in very small sizes?"
Old 06-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Brother, I can relate. I'd have a lot more shirts if I didn't need at least a XXL in everything (and I prefer XXXL if they have it). It makes me laugh sometimes because, for example, I go to a lot of post-metal / post-rock shows which are frequented by a lot of hipsters and such, and they never seem to have anything larger than XL (and sometimes not even that big). I end up thinking things like, "do they only make hipsters in very small sizes?"
I can squeeze into a 3XL if necessary, but a 4XL is far less constricting. Only time I score decently on band shirts if if someone is printing them on their own eBay store or something to that effect.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Pretty much all of this, except the last paragraph. I actually refrain from buying CD's that I know for sure I want to own if I know the band is coming on tour soon, as I prefer to buy the disc from the band themselves at the merch table. They get 100% of the revenue that way, which is why I buy music in the first place - to support the artists themselves.
I would do this if they weren't always overpriced. If bands sold their stuff for the same price as I can get it online, I'd buy it from the band every time.

That and most bands don't bring commercially available CDs anyway.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 06-27-2014, 02:09 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

I used to buy lots of merch at shows when I had a lot more money to spend. This usually happened at small shows, which I went to most of the time. The shirts were usually $10 to 15. I try to get merch every time a small bluegrass band comes to town because the show is usually free and I want to support them for making the drive to play for me. I don't buy cds too often from bands, but I will grab vinyl if they have some.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:09 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

Quote:
I would do this if they weren't always overpriced. If bands sold their stuff for the same price as I can get it online, I'd buy it from the band every time.

It's really 50/50 for me with CDs. I really like supporting the bands and showing them support and helping them get to the next town... but agreed on the pricing, its almost always $15 for a CD that you can get for ~$10 online, or in the record store. I feel bad for not supporting them with that, but they gotta price a little better. My band sells our CDs for only $5 at our shows (more incentive to get people out, too ), singer announces it after every show and we usually sell a crap ton.

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 06-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:

Wow, things must be pretty different overseas. Bands bring commercially available stuff to shows here all the time - especially when it comes to the actual CD's. Sometimes the clothing is tour-specific, obviously, but most of the time they just bring a bunch of the CD's that they are touring for, and many times they bring stuff from their back catalog as well - especially if it's a lesser-known band that's trying to get their name out there and not a lot of people have their stuff yet. There have been times when I bought an entire band's discography at their shows (granted, that was only two or three discs, but still).

Also, the CD's are generally cheaper at shows. Not so for clothing - which is usually pretty pricey, but often the CD's are ten bucks or so, where they're selling online for twelve or fifteen. In the rare cases where they're more than what I can pay online, I sometimes buy them anyway if it's a band I really want to support, and other times I get stingy and buy it online when I go back home. More often than not, I'll buy it at the show, though.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:06 PM
somebody somewhere

I don't really buy shit anymore. I like programs/tourbooks, whatever you want to call them, but most shows don't have them. When I was younger I always got a shirt, but now I don't really want them. Now and then I will pick one up if i see something I really like. I remember seeing Metallica in 89' and the shirts were 20 bucks, insane at that time. The last time I saw Tool the shirts were 45.00. It's not just their tickets that are a rip.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:26 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
I can squeeze into a 3XL if necessary, but a 4XL is far less constricting. Only time I score decently on band shirts if if someone is printing them on their own eBay store or something to that effect.
This is going to come across as an incredibly douchey question but how big are you if a 3XL is constricting?

Last edited by AnthG; 06-27-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:29 PM
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
This is going to come across as an incredibly douchey question but how big are you if a 3XL is constricting?
6'2", 330 pounds.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Depending on show or band I usually try to get at least a 7".

Pop Punk and hardcore bands are usually cheaper. Though even sometimes $20 for a shirt for me is too pricey if its just small band.