Sleep -- Chicago, IL -- August 29th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Clarkston, MI -- August 24th, 2014
Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 06-27-2014, 11:49 AM
N00B

How often do you buy merch at shows?

There was a time where I NEVER went to a concert without getting at least a t-shirt. Nowadays, I have so many band shirts that I can wear a different one each day for about 3 months at least. I do try to buy merch at small club shows sometimes to support the bands, though gone are the days where I will drop $40+ for a t-shirt at a high profile concert like Metallica or KISS.
10/18 - King Diamond
11/18+21 - Manowar
11/30 - Slipknot
12/21 - Opeth
Old 06-27-2014, 12:00 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Almost every show I go to I grab a t-shirt. Something I like to collect, though it's definitely not cheap. I'll be getting a Def Leppard one in a couple of weeks seeing as my other shirt of theirs is to small for me. I really want a AC and Crue t-shirt when I see them in August to.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:12 PM
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!

No mas for me anymore unless it's Maiden. Sole exception was picking up a My Dying Bride shirt at MDF this year. It's just too costly nowadays, often times it's more $ for a t-shirt than it is for a ticket.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

I used to buy a lot more than I do now. I'm getting pickier with band shirts. I always want a concert shirt to have tour dates, but then I also don't like particularly crazy designs anymore. I usually just want a logo on the front and dates on the back, but there aren't many of those out there.
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 06-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Depends. If the shirts suck, I'm not going to buy one for the sake of it. Some shows I got to with the absolute intention to buy a shirt because I know it's going to be a memorable/significant show or tour, but when I get there they suck. Same goes for if they're really over-priced. This year was the first Sweden Rock Festival in 7 years that I didn't get any shirts at all (I normally buy a festival one and at least one band one), because of a combination of suckage and bad prices.

Other times I'll go with no intention at all of getting a shirt, but if the band blow me away, and they have a cool shirt that's reasonably priced, I might go for it.

Basically it has to be a great band, a good show, a good design, and a good price. Otherwise, no.

As for things which aren't shirts, I very, very occasionally will buy a poster (this has happened about three times - Rob Zombie, Cathedral, Damian Wilson).

I never buy music unless it's a) exclusive to the tour, or b) not exclusive, but not commercially available in the UK. And in both of those cases, it has to be reasonably priced. Recent examples of this include the Scion Presents Saint Vitus Live 10", the Ultra Electric Mega Galactic's new EP, the DIY Spirit Caravan live album, and the Maiden United 'The Trooper' CD single, all of which were either only available at the show, or generally only available online from other countries.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka

Last edited by ravenheart; 06-27-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
I used to buy a lot more than I do now. I'm getting pickier with band shirts. I always want a concert shirt to have tour dates, but then I also don't like particularly crazy designs anymore. I usually just want a logo on the front and dates on the back, but there aren't many of those out there.
Also, this. All of it.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 06-27-2014, 12:52 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Not much at all anymore. If its a band i REALLY love and want to support then I will totally buy something, but if its just bands that I like and just ok cool whatever then I'll look, but not buy. I have too many shirts anyways, and I barely wear any of them since I have a "work attire"

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 06-27-2014, 01:08 PM
All Work & No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy.

For shirts/jackets/hoodies/etc., never. Nobody ever has my size.

I do try to grab a bumper sticker for every band I've seen though. Someday my car will be entirely covered in them.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:09 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Pretty regularly. I've been to 8 shows so far this year and I've bought merch at 3 of them. My rule is if there's something I like and it's $25 or less, I'll buy it.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 06-27-2014, 01:17 PM
N00B

Probably half and half. A lot of band merch just sucks these days with the designs that take up the entire shirt and sometimes to up to the neckline. Less is more everyone. There's also a number of shirts I've bought that I barely wear because a Medium for one band is not the same size as a Medium for another band, for some reason. There's also the different types of fabric that's used some shrink more than others. So some are really small and others are oversized. It's ridiculous. But for the most part they turn out ok, it's just the designs that turn me off. Price i'm usually ok with, since they're usually in the $20-$30 range at club shows.

If I know i'm seeing a band and they have a new album out i'll sometimes wait until the show to buy their CD, since the band benefits more from me buying it at a show then buying it at HMV or off Amazon or something. I've already downloaded and heard the album so waiting a few weeks or months isn't a big deal. If it's more expensive at the show than it is at a store then i'll just buy it at a store.
12/27 - Protest the Hero

Last edited by AnthG; 06-27-2014 at 01:40 PM.