Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Old 06-25-2014, 03:43 PM
One who onions things

Steve Winwood -- Hollywood, CA -- June 24th, 2014

So I got to attend what turned to be a really fun show thanks to the CEO of the company I work for, who shall be known as The Boss. Dude sent out a mass email on Monday asking if anyone there was a true Steve Winwood fan. I replied that I loved Traffic, Blind Faith and a couple of solo albums and The Boss then invited me to see the show and hang out backstage afterwards. I definitely obliged.

After a combination of class and work, I arrived at The Boss' place at 8 and we Uber'd out from there. We arrived at the venue, the Pantages Theater in Hollywood right as the opener finished up. Winwood's FOH engineer is a client of ours, so the guy was nice enough to hook us up with the best seats in the house soundwise.

The band did this short instrumental intro, and then Steve came out and played on the organ for the first half of the set. Then he switched to guitar and finally returned to organ for the encore. The guy sounded absolutely amazing, like his voice is even better now than it was before. The band was also super tight and the sound was outstanding. A lot of the songs received changed up arrangements like throwing in little jams and solos, which made them a lot more interesting and fun IMO. The saxophonist/keyboardist/backup vocalist dude was also a total pleasure to watch. However, I thought the guitarist was really overplaying when it came to the solos. Dude would attempt like fingerpicked shredding which was cool from a musician's perspective, but it would just sound out of place.

The crowd gave like four or five standing ovations, and The Boss and I would nerd out after every other song. I was pretty surprised to hear Steve play his Band of Gypsys/Buddy Miles cover of Them Changes in the set since I already saw him play it with Clapton like five years ago. Still sounded great though. They ended up dropping Back in the High Life Again from the set because Steve was feeling a little tired. Still a decent length show at about an hour and forty minutes, though I bet tickets cost a fuckton of money.

01. Rainmaker
02. I'm a Man
03. At Times We Do Forget
04. Can't Find My Way Home
05. Medicated Goo
06. Them Changes
07. Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
08. Empty Pages
09. Light Up or Leave Me Alone
10. Higher Love
Encore
11. Dear Mr. Fantasy
12. Gimme Some Lovin'

The Boss and I soon found ourselves backstage, where we got to briefly meet Steve and a couple of the guys from the band. Really nice people! Afterwards The Boss asked if I'd be down to hit another show, so we Uber'd over to the Viper Room to see a local band called Delta Rose. They were kinda like Guns n Roses'ish hard rock, not too bad. That was the end of my night, and what ended up being a really fun experience getting to hang out with my boss, not to mention getting to see and meet Steve Winwood for free. Life resumes!
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31

Last edited by Onioner; 06-25-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:48 PM
N00B

I will be seeing Stevie Winwood open for Tom Petty in August. Seen Petty twice but am very excited to see Winwood for the first time.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:15 AM
somebody somewhere

This is like the 2nd time he has opened for Tom. Not familiar with most of his material, but if he's that good i'll show up early to see him.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:02 AM
N00B

Where the hell is his '80s stuff like Valerie? I will see him open for Tom Petty in August but if he is going to completely ignore his '80s material like this I am not going to make any effort to show up on time.
11-21 Judas Priest
Old 06-26-2014, 03:42 PM
I am not a N00B, I am a free man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecking Crew View Post
Where the hell is his '80s stuff like Valerie? I will see him open for Tom Petty in August but if he is going to completely ignore his '80s material like this I am not going to make any effort to show up on time.
Higher Love is in there. One is better than none, but I agree. If I saw him and he didn't play Back in the High Life Again, I'd be a little bent.

07/25 - Anthrax / Living Colour
07/31 - Chicago / REO Speedwagon
08/14 - Paul McCartney
10/30 - King Diamond
Old 06-26-2014, 05:07 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost at Number One View Post
Higher Love is in there. One is better than none, but I agree. If I saw him and he didn't play Back in the High Life Again, I'd be a little bent.
There was one crazy fool who stayed in the theater for ten minutes after the show was over screaming at the top of his lungs "PLAY BACK IN THE HIGH LIFE AGAIN GOD FUCKING DAMNIT"
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31

Tags
steve winwood