Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

Deafheaven -- San Francisco, CA -- July 2nd, 2014

Got to the show pretty early. Not much of a line. Got in, used the restroom, then got a front row spot. The Great American Music Hall has this dumb thing where instead of having a rail or just not, they have a bunch of tables in front of the stage to act as a rail. After a fairly decent wait, the crowd had filled up, and the opener got on stage.

Wreck And Reference are a experimental duo from LA that combines elements of industrial, doom metal, electronic, post-metal, and ambient with their twisted music. The duo consists of a drummer and a sampler, meaning a guy who actually wears a sampler around his shoulder like a guitar and uses it to trigger samples that make up the melodic and harmonic contexts of the music. Both members also provide screamed vocals. The music is really unique and quite intense and the two had great chemistry while playing. The sound during their set was near perfect. Overall, the group was really interesting and gave quite a heartfelt performance. I'd be down to see them again on another occasion.

Next up were the band everybody came to see, Deafheaven. As routine, the moment guitarist Kerry McCoy started the first chords of Dream House, there was a massive push in the crowd and the place got rowdy, claustrophobic, hot, and sweaty in a matter of minutes. The crowd ate up the energy the band's music radiated, and frontman George Clarke spat it right back with his intense stage presence and almost authoritative command of the audience. Any time he signaled for people to come up there was a huge push and any time he got close the crowd; whether reaching his hand in, getting close the crowd with the mic, or even jumping in; people swooned towards him to feel what he was giving. There were a lot of crowd surfers as well. The first guy who got on stage crowd surfing was an idiot and instead of jumping back in the crowd went towards George and grabbed on to him and the mic to scream into the mic and George grabbed the dude by the throat and threw him back in the crowd. Dude forgot he wasn't at a hardcore show. There were multiple occasions I had the mic put in my face. The most notable was during Sunbather when George got in my face during the hook at the end and put the mic directly in my face as I screamed the refrain. There were other moments during the rest of the big tracks that George came over to me, like during the encore where he got so close to my face I could hear his screech directly in my ear, or at least my area and I got the mic or a couple of handshakes. Overall, the show was just as awesome as any other time, and may be my favorite Deafheaven performance yet. Today, my throat is soar and I have a few bruises due to being pressed up against the table and getting pinched by the crevice between two tables a few times. But it's completely worth it. Deafheaven are one of the best live bands around.

Deafheaven
Dream House
Irresistble (over the PA)
Sunbather
Vertigo
The Pecan Tree
----------------------
Unrequited

Wreck And Reference: 8/10
Deafheaven: 10/10
Old 07-03-2014, 10:37 AM
N00B

Awesome review Can't wait for September!

Tags
deafheaven