Released on June 10th, 2010
Label: Debemur Morti Productions

Line-Up:
Vindsval – Guitars, Vocals
W.D. Feld – Drums, Keyboards
GhOst – Bass

1. I
2. II

This series of three EP’s (meant to accompany the 777 albums) are more of the barrage of drums and aggression style that Blut Aus Nord perfected on the Mystical Beast of Rebellion and those split releases they did with other bands. They make a nice counter-point to what they do on the 777 albums but I wouldn’t call them essential. All three offer just an aural beating. It’s good in small doses but after a half an hour I’m pretty spent. This particular one reminds me of the band Portal (the very muddy tone on the guitars and entire recording), just sped up. I've heard funny stories about clueless reviewers playing the vinyl at 33 1/3 RPM and commenting that it was pretty good death metal music. I really want to hear that. I wouldn't be surprised if it did sound just like Portal. It’s actually eight songs just divided into two halves. On the CD version it's eight individual tracks but there's a clear division between songs four and five. This EP also marks the last time that "W.D. Feld" and "GhOst" are listed as members of Blut Aus Nord.

Best Song: I
Rating: 2.5 out of 5

12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 07-08-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:44 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

777 - Sect(s)
Released on April 18th, 2011

Line-Up:
Vindsval – all instruments, Vocals, Songwriting and Composition

1. Epitome I
2. Epitome II
3. Epitome III
4. Epitome IV
5. Epitome V
6. Epitome VI

The first album in the 777 trilogy isn’t too much of a departure from what Blut Aus Nord has been doing since Odinist. Things are slowed down quite a bit but aside from that there’s nothing too shocking on this album. There are some good melodic sounding guitar parts in Epitome II and Epitome VI and some nice choral, angelic keyboards scattered about the album that threw me for a bit of a loop. It’s rare to hear something pretty on a Blut Aus Nord album, and when it’s layered under the usual dissonant filth it can be unsettling. This and the first Once Was Not EP show what they’re going for; Once Was Not being the black metal pummeling side of Blut Aus Nord and this being the more experimental side. It's probably the weakest entry in the 777 trilogy, but it's still really good. So that says a lot.

Best Song: Epitome II
Rating: 3.5 out of 5

03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 07-09-2014, 10:45 AM

777 - The Desanctification
Released on November 11th, 2011

Line-Up:

1. Epitome VII
2. Epitome VIII
3. Epitome IX
4. Epitome X
5. Epitome XI
6. Epitome XII
7. Epitome XIII

This is an odd album. The songs are really cool but a lot of it sounds like filler or incomplete ideas. Take Epitome X, for example. It has a very strange fade in and sounds like it’s fading in to a song that’s been going on for a minute already. But it sounds like the beginning of a song too. Very odd. It actually pisses me off a bit because it sounds like it’s an error in the mixing or something and we’re missing out. The vocals are fucked on this album too. Vocals have never been a centerpiece of Blut Aus Nords music (most time they’re just another layer to the madness) but on this album they’re even more in the background. They’re even more indecipherable than before but I swear to god on this album they’re all being played in reverse. Or, they sound like its just Vindsval literally puking into the microphone like on Epitome VIII. There’s a lot of plodding, dirge music on this album and it gets a little punishing after a while. But punishing is the word to describe this album. The Desanctification does not like you and wants to make sure you feel pain. There are some moments that really grab you (the fucked up female vocals in Epitome X) but it gets exhausting after forty minutes. It wins for having probably the most psychopathic riff of all-time; the outro to Epitome XIII. The song itself is nothing spectacular but that riff…wow (HINT: it starts at 4:07 of that video). A good album, better than the first in the 777 trilogy for showing a lot more creativity. And despite its plodding, punishing pace it's still a very good listen.

Best Song: Epitome VIII
Rating: 4 out of 5

03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 07-11-2014, 04:48 PM

What Once Was... Liber II
Released on July 5th, 2012

Line-Up:

1. I
2. II

This actually offers a bit more than the other two entries in the What Once Was series in terms of diversity. It’s still mostly just a barrage of drums and dissonance but there are odd bits of twisted melody layered in that keep it really interesting. It also has some nice keyboards and really cool interludes.

Best Song: II
Rating: 3.5 out of 5

03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 07-12-2014, 12:51 PM

777 - Cosmosophy
Released on September 21st, 2012

Line-Up:

1. Epitome XIV
2. Epitome XV
3. Epitome XVI
4. Epitome XVII
5. Epitome XVIII

I kind of fucked up when I was listening to the 777 trilogy. They are hard albums to get ahold of and this was the easiest to get. So I started with this one and it set the bar very, very high. Of all the Blut Aus Nord albums that have fucked my head in every direction I think this one threw me for the biggest loop. The first few minutes of Epitome XIV sound…triumphant…victorious…hopeful. Not words you’d associate with Blut Aus Nord. The intro solo reminds me of a Guns’N’Roses video when Slash would get up on a mountain and do one of his epic solos, with wind blowing through his hair and stuff. Then…clean vocals? The next song (Epitome XV) goes back to that “dark place” but in a way I’d never expect. It’s like some weird German sounding (even though it’s French) shitzen-industial-scat-rap…before blowing into the only “black metal” section of the album. After that the album continues on this cheerful path that’s uncharted territory for Blut Aus Nord, peaking with Epitome XVII. It’s about as far away from “black metal” as I’ve heard Blut Aus Nord get, even though calling what they’ve been doing for the past ten years “black metal” is a bit of a stretch anyway. I think the best way to describe this is dark-wave meets industrial…meets black metal. For as different as this album sounds it still feels disgusting. Like it’s that evil hiding under a beautiful mask…before it shows it’s true self and rips your conscience from your body.

I’d say this is my third favorite album by Blut Aus Nord after the Work Which Transforms God and MoRT. It pays tribute to everything the band has done up until this point. The melodic guitars in Epitome XIV and Epitome XVI are very reminiscent of the guitar work in Fathers of the Icy Age. The scant bits of black metal can be traced back to albums like Odinist. There’s ambient soundscapes like the Mythical Beast of Rebellion. And the clean vocals threw me for a loop, much like they did in that memorable section of Chapter V off the MoRT album. I hope Blut Aus Nord continue down this adventurous path in the future.

Best Song: Epitome XVII
Rating: 4.5

03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 07-17-2014, 11:39 PM

What Once Was... Liber III
Released on October 18th, 2013

Line-Up:
unknown

1. I
2. II
3. III
4. IV
5. V
6. VI

By this point the What Once Was series was a little tedious. This style is cool in small doses but after three EP and ninety minutes it all starts to sound the same. And I hurt from just getting PUNISHED over and over. A song here or there is cool here and there but entire EPs or albums like this are a bit much.

Best Song: II
Rating: 2.5 out of 5

With the whole 777/What Once Was project they released some incredible music but a lot of it blended together. If they had of taken the best songs off the three 777 albums and thrown in a few songs from the What Once Was EPs and made a double album they would’ve created another masterpiece. I would have also liked it if he’d had some common musical thread to tie the albums together. Not something too prevalent. Maybe just a simple melody or guitar line that appeared, even if it was halfway through the first album and didn’t reappear until near the end of the last album. As it is, the three 777 albums are worth your time while you could just listen to one of the Once Was Not albums and skip the other two.
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 07-17-2014 at 11:58 PM. Reason: changer "a" to "another"
Old 07-25-2014, 06:54 PM

I've really been slacking balls on this thread.

Debemur MoRTi
Released on January 31st, 2014

Line-Up:
unknown

Disc 1:
1. Tetraktys
2. Lighteater

Disc 2:
1. Bastardiser (Pitchshifter cover)

This was a double 7” set released to mark the label Debemur MoRTi’s one-hundredth release. I can see putting the three songs over two 7” releases (since it’s only about fifteen minutes of music total) but I believe there was a CD release that divided the songs onto two compact disc’s as well, which is a total waste of resources. The music is more funeral dirge than their later stuff. Very similar to the Odinist album but since it’s such a smaller package it’s much easier to digest. I though a Pitchshifter cover seemed weird (anything I ever heard from that band was very spastic and frantic) but Blut Aus Nord “Blut Aus Nord’ed” it up. I’ve never heard the original so what do I know. I…honestly wouldn’t pay money for a hard copy of this. Stream it or (legally) download the MP3’s. Paying anything more than five dollars for this is ripping yourself off. It’s good but more of an asterisk in Blut Aus Nords discography.

Best Song: Tetraktys
Rating: 3 out of 5

03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 07-26-2014, 07:02 PM

Triunity
Released on June 20th, 2014

Line-Up:
Vindsval – vocals, guitars
GhOst – Bass
Gionata “Thorns” Potenti - Drums

1. De Librio Arbitrio
2. Hubris
3. Nemeinn

This is a split with some band called P.H.O.B.O.S. It’s as chaotic and punishing as you’d expect from Blut Aus Nord but different at the same time. There’s a huge change on this EP in that there is a REAL DRUMMER playing on it. I don’t know how I feel about that. The heavily programmed machine-like drums have always been a very integral part of the Blut Aus Nord sound. But at the same time, I criticized it on albums like Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars for dragging the music down. I think it’s a welcomed change but I don’t want to see the drum machine disappear from Blut Aus Nord entirely. Aside from that the songs themselves are some of the better stuff Blut Aus Nord has released in a long time. Even the bass is more pronounced. This is the first time that Blut Aus Nord has ever sounded like a "band". There’s a lot of growth in these songs and at the same time it’s very obviously Blut Aus Nord. It encompasses everything Blut Aus Nord has done up to this point. There’s still the funeral dirge pace and the dissonant guitars. But there seems to be some new life breathed in to the band. Maybe it’s the drummer? I really like this EP and it gives me great hope for Blut Aus Nord in the future.

Best Song: De Librio Arbitrio
Rating: 4 out of 5

03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 07-26-2014, 07:13 PM

Epitome MMXIV.VII.XIX

So as it is Blut Aus Nords latest release is still very high in quality. They haven’t ever really released a “bad” album. Just some that weren’t as good. When Blut Aus Nord is good they are fucking insane. When they’re not as good they still fuck whatever you’re listening to up the ass. After hearing that Triunity split I have faith that Blut Aus Nord is going to continue to put out high quality music…and a lot of punishing music. I doubt they’ll ever release anything as good as the Work Which Transforms God but they’re still a relatively newer band. Who knows, the best may still be to come? I personally hope things never change. The real drummer is okay but I never want videos, I never want interviews and I NEVER WANT LIVE SHOWS.

I’ve heard there’s a third entry in the Memoria Vetusta series in the works. And god knows what else. They’re very enigmatic so for all I know they could release a double album in fifteen minutes. I recommend this band for anyone who wants black metal that’s way outside the box. Go in to their albums with a very open mind and you’ll come out with an entirely different perspective on everything. Music. Life. Death. God. Hate.

Listening to Blut Aus Nord…will fuck you up.

03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 08-15-2014, 03:26 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post

777 - Cosmosophy
Released on September 21st, 2012
I think this is the one I always see in the record store. Maybe I'll snag it one of these days

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com