Decorporation...
Released in 2004
Label: D.U.K.E.

Line-Up:
unknown

1. I
2. II
3. III

This is a split release with some band called Reverence that starts a trend of Blut Aus Nords that continued throughout most of the decade. That being lightning fast drumming overlayed with dissonant guitars and tortured vocals. It’s cool for a few songs but as you’re going to see they release a lot of music that’s just pure anger blasts like this (usually on sub-releases and EP’s, their full-lengths are different beasts). It can get a little exhausting after a while. This album basically takes the Work Which Transforms God and strips it down to the bare essence of black metal. That’s cool but the Work Which Transforms God had those hooks. This doesn’t. So if you thought parts of the Work Which Transforms God were too “out there” then this is a good album for you.

Best Song: III
Rating: 2 out of 5

11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 06-28-2014, 04:30 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Thematic Emanation of Archetypal Multiplicity (Soundtracks for Scientists of Occult Synchretism)
Released on February 14th, 2005
Label: Appease Me Records

Line-Up:
unknown

1. Enter (the Transformed God Basement)
2. Level-1 (Nothing Is)
3. Level-2 (Nothing Is Not)
4. Level-3 (Nothing Becomes)
5. Exit (Towards the Asylum)

I only have this album because it’s included with later rereleases of the Work Which Transforms God. It’s got a really cool industrial droning vibe to it but it really doesn’t offer anything too important and parts of it actually do…suck. If you buy any later pressings of the Work Which Transforms God you get this automatically and it does make a good companion piece to that album. But if you have an original pressing of the Work Which Transforms God you get something even more important: my utmost respect.

Best Song: Level-3 (Nothing Becomes)

11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 06-30-2014, 12:18 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Great thread! Been wanting to get into BAN for quite some time, but just never knew what was good and what was not. They have a couple cheap albums at the local record store, but yeah.... just never knew what to do and what not

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 06-30-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
Great thread! Been wanting to get into BAN for quite some time, but just never knew what was good and what was not. They have a couple cheap albums at the local record store, but yeah.... just never knew what to do and what not
Five words: the Work Which Transforms God.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 06-30-2014, 05:26 PM

MoRT
Released on October 23rd, 2006
Label: Candlelight Records

Line-Up:
Vindsval – Guitars, Vocals
W.D. Feld – Drums, Keyboards
GhOst – Bass

1. Chapter I
2. Chapter II
3. Chapter III
4. Chapter IV
5. Chapter V
6. Chapter VI
7. Chapter VII
8. Chapter VIII

You should never judge a book by its cover. Except in the case of MoRT. Of all the ugly, ugly music Blut Aus Nord has released this is the pinnacle of disgust. This isn’t even really music. It sounds like someone just playing a guitar as a piano over some heavily programmed drums with odd guitar and synth lines coming in that are in no way melodic or soothing but very noticeable. The vocals are even more tortured and never deviate, save one segment in Chapter V that catches you totally off-guard. It’s essentially the same song over and over and over. Or maybe it's one forty-five minute song split into eight segments. It’s hard to say “I like Chapter VI more than Chapter III” because you couldn’t play me anything off this album and have me name it by name correctly. Except for that one moment in Chapter V I was talking about. But I fucking love this album. The Work Which Transforms God took me to a very dark place and this just went even further. The biggest difference between the two (other the fact that The Work Which Transforms God has actual songs) is the feeling on the Work Which Transforms God is an overall feeling of the supernatural and occult. Like evil (fucking EVIL) spirits and specters. Not hell, the place between heaven and hell. This album has a feeling of it could be reality. The worst side of reality. There are bad things that go on behind closed doors. We all know that. We don’t like speaking of those bad things and like to pretend that they don’t exist but they’re there. This is the soundtrack to those bad things. If you listen to this you will be changed.

Best Song: Chapter V (but you really need to listen to the whole album to get the full effect)
Rating: 5 out of 5

11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 06-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

This is an awesome thread.

Someone should do one for Drowning the Light.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Five words: the Work Which Transforms God.
This. Probably the most disturbing album in my collection. I rarely listen to it because I feel so drained and assaulted afterwards. A lot of music can inspire but this album works at crushing your soul.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:12 PM

Odinist - The Destruction of Reason by Illumination
Released on May 14th, 2007

Line-Up:
GhOst – Bass

1. Intro
2. An Element of Flesh
3. The Sounds of the Universe
4. Odinist
5. The Few Shreds of Thoughts
6. Ellipsis
7. Mystic Absolu
8. The Cycle of the Cycles
9. Outro

After releasing two career pinnacle albums there was really only one way for Blut Aus Nord to go. Yeah, down. Odinist really is the weakest album I’ve heard from Blut Aus Nord. It sounds like the band who did MoRT trying to play the songs from Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age. It has its moments but really it just all blends in with itself and once it’s over you’re left with a “meh” feeling. But the Work Which Transforms God and MoRT were so damn awesome that there was no way to follow them. The artwork of this album is fantastic. But I can say that about every Blut Aus Nord album. I wouldn’t say to pass on this album but when you’re working your way through buying their whole discography save this one for near the end.

Best Song: Odinist

11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 07-04-2014, 12:05 AM

Dissociated Human Junction
Released on July 1st, 2007
Label: Panik Terror Music

Line-Up:
unknown

1. I
2. II
3. III

This is a split with three other bands: Bloodline, Reverence and Karras. I’d really like to hear it because I bet the other bands are all really good too but I can’t find this even on YouTube.

Best Song: N/A
Rating: N/A
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 07-05-2014, 08:26 PM

Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars
Released on February 23rd, 2009

Line-Up:
GhOst – Bass

1. Disciple's Libration (Lost in the Nine Worlds)
2. Antithesis of the Flesh (...and Then Arises a New Essence)
3. The Alcove of Angels (Vipassana)
4. ...the Meditant (Dialogue With the Stars)
5. Acceptance (Aske)
6. Translucent Body of Air (Sutta Anapanasati)
7. The Formless Sphere (Beyond the Reason)
8. The Cosmic Echoes of Non-Matter (Immaterial Voices of the Fathers)
9. Elevation (the Dawn of the Gods)
(Note that the song titles for this album are all over the place. Most websites say one thing while this is the order that the CD had when I put it onto my computer and Shazaam'd them all. Who knows which is right?)

Earlier on I wrote that I’d like to have heard what Blut Aus Nord would’ve sounded like if they kept with their original style of A-typical black metal. Well, I got my wish with Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars. After spending the better part of the decade getting uglier and uglier and beyond twisted Blut Aus Nord threw everyone for another loop and put out the record that should have followed Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age. The plodding pace, tortured repetition and dissonance are replaced on this album with lightning fast, melodic black metal not unlike (really) a lot of other bands. I can actually hear a lot of Emperors ‘Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk’ album in these songs. It’s really well done but there are a few problems. For one, it’s a little too long. Most of the actual songs go well over the seven-minute mark and the whole album clocks in at over an hour. That’s a little much for this style of music. That would be forgiven if the songs had those hooks that Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age had. But aside from the outros to Antithesis of the Flesh (...and Then Arises a New Essence), The Cosmic Echoes of Non-Matter (Immaterial Voices of the Fathers) and the instrumental intro to the album Disciple's Libration (Lost in the Nine Worlds) there’s really not too much to grab your attention. The clean breaks do grab your attention but they’re few and far between. It’s just really good song after really good song but after one song is over it’s on to the next one and so-forth. And the last problem is the drum machine sounds really out of place. I’m pretty sure it was a drum machine on Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age but it sounded a lot more archaic on that album. And on the other albums the cold drum machine fits the cold, empty music. But a real drummer would’ve really helped this album out. It’s still a really good album and I’ll go back on what I said in my review of Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age that if you’re a fan of “a-typical black metal” this is probably the best album for you.

Best Song: The Cosmic Echoes of Non-Matter (Immaterial Voices of the Fathers)
Rating: 4 out of 5

11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 07-06-2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Changing rating