Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 06-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

Meshuggah -- San Francisco, CA -- June 7th, 2014

Got the show half an hour after doors opened. It was pretty empty on the floor 'til a little bit after BTBAM started but it filled in really well. They were playing Death over the PA before the show started. That's always good.

Between the Buried and Me opened the show and proved once again that they're an awesome live band. White Walls sounded great as usual and for once the sound at The Regency was really good even from the front to the very left of the stage. I could hear vocals, both guitars, and bass not top of the kick drums being too loud. It was pretty great! The crowd was surprisingly really tame. The pit was only in one part of the crowd and there was no pushing at all. I find this odd because when I saw BTBAM headline a few months ago, the crowd went nuts, and I saw a lot of people at this show with BTBAM gear on. Maybe this was the prog nerd crowd I was expecting at the last BTBAM show. My reaction to the songs they played were pretty much: old song , new song *arms crossed, bob head*. Kinda bummed me out when I saw people lose their shit for Telos but Ants Of The Sky got a very selective reaction. Maybe I'm just old. Whatever. Overall, BTBAM are always a great band to see. I just wish they wouldn't ignore their old material completely. An old school tour is needed.

Between The Buried and Me
White Walls
Telos
Ants of the Sky
Lay Your Ghosts to Rest
Fossil Genera

First time seeing Meshuggah and it was pretty great. The sound wasn't as balls out heavy as I was expecting but they eventually fixed that by the 3rd song or so. Haake sounds amazing live, I just wish I could see him but their intense light show kind of ruined any chances of seeing him. I'm not usually entertained by lights, but their light show was actually pretty cool. The band sounded pretty great and I could actually hear what the bass was doing and it definitely beefs up their sound more than I thought considering they're using 8 string guitars and the bassist is just on a 4 strong most the time. I feel like the newer material translated better than the older stuff, but it's cool they busted out the oldies for the super fans. Only thing that was kind of lame was the lack of movement in the crowd. Meshuggah's sound is really primal and get you pumped, so even if there's weird meters and lot of syncopation, I was expecting a really rowdy crowd but again it was mostly people standing there and headbanging. It just felt way off and in a weird way detracted from the show. Not that I prefer rowdy shows, but it seems recently the crowd is rowdy when I least expect and isn't rowdy when I am. The crowd at Sleep was stupid rowdy, and when I saw Nothing a couple weeks ago (a shoegaze band), the crowd was the rowdiest I've dealt with in a while and the band was 1 notch below DEP themselves. So when I go to see Meshuggah and the crowd is really tame I'm just like "WTF". Probably just a bunch of prog nerds. Whatever though, Meshuggah was still great.

Meshuggah
Future Breed Machine
obZen
The Hurt that Finds You First
Do Not Look Down
Cadaverous Mastication
Greed
Gods of Rapture
Neurotica
New Millennium Cyanide Christ
Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion
Bleed
Demiurge
Straws Pulled at Random

Encore:
Mind's Mirrors
In Death - Is Life
In Death - Is Death

BTBAM: 8.5/10
Mesuhggah: 8.5/10
12/20 Cormorant/Wildhunt
1/2 Pity Sex/Whirr
Old 06-09-2014, 04:40 AM
Dittohead

Im really looking forward to seeing this at the Montebello Rockfest on the 20th. Only issue is that since its a festival, we only get 35 mins of BTBAM at 12:45pm and 45 mins of Meshuggah at 9:15pm.

So it will be interesting to see how they change their sets up to accommodate the shorter time slots. Esp BTBAM, if they play WW or Ants and Telos, that's almost 25 mins alone!

Havent seen Meshuggah since the "last" Ministry tour so really lookin forward to seeing anything from them anyways!!
Old 06-09-2014, 08:48 AM
N00B

Did BTBAM play all of those songs in their entirety? That's about an hour if they did.

I was going to go to this, but I didn't want to drive over 3 hours to watch them play an abbreviated set, especially after having just seen them in March.

That's a pretty killer setlist, sorry I missed it.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBAM310 View Post
Did BTBAM play all of those songs in their entirety? That's about an hour if they did.

I was going to go to this, but I didn't want to drive over 3 hours to watch them play an abbreviated set, especially after having just seen them in March.

That's a pretty killer setlist, sorry I missed it.
Yeah each song got played in full. They're the only opener so they got an hour set.
12/20 Cormorant/Wildhunt
1/2 Pity Sex/Whirr
Old 06-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

• Future Breed Machine - A little weird to see them starting with this, but I get it. This set was supposed to be "different". What I don't get is why this is the only track they played from DEI. No Soul Burn, Transfixion, Vanished...or even Suffer in Truth? Boo.
  • obZen - This would have been my "rarity" pick from this album as well (although they have played it before). Nicely done.
  • The Hurt that Finds You First - This song is great live. Makes sense.
  • Do Not Look Down - Not my favorite from Koloss, but fans like it. Meh.
  • Cadaverous Mastication - I saw lots of mentions of this one on the voting site, but I personally wouldn't have wasted a vote on this. Sounds like early Metallica, if they tried to play in a syncopated style. Pass.
  • Greed - Another choice from CC / None that I just don't get.
  • Gods of Rapture - Now THIS is the song from CC / None that I had voted for...nicely done. This must have been SICK.
  • Neurotica - A curious choice from one of their best albums. Personally, I voted for Corridor of Chameleons and if not that, would have preferred something like Concatenation or Sane, but this song is pretty rad too, I guess.
  • New Millennium Cyanide Christ - Don't know how you build a Meshuggah set list without this track being included - even for a special show like this.
  • Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion - This song is an awesome heavy chugger, but I think the set only needs one of these, and Demiurge is the far superior choice. I'd have preferred another track from Nothing or obZen here.
  • Bleed - Ditto NMCC.
  • Demiurge - SO HEAVY live. Even though I've seen them play it twice, I would have rocked hard to this one yet again.
  • Straws Pulled at Random - Ditto NMCC and Bleed - but for this to be the ONLY track from Nothing (their best album), is just flat out wrong.
...and of course the encore is not surprising. It was great when they did it on the last tour, but since this was supposed to be a special set list, one might have expected they'd do something different. Still pretty awesome, though.

Overall impressions are that there were a few head-scratchers here, but of course I'd still like to see this tour and probably won't get to do so. The closest show to me is five hours away in Chicago on Father's Day, which is also my younger son's birthday, so I won't be going. The screwy song selections are how I'll tell myself that it'll all be OK, but deep down inside I'd still have loved to see a >90-minute Meshuggah set that includes Gods of Rapture.

One question, though...why did nobody vote for Marrow - or if they did, why the fuck won't Meshuggah ever play it? It's one of their best songs, for fuck's sake.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 06-09-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:16 PM

There was a voting site? I just thought they were picking older songs for the event. I didn't know it was one of those "the fans pick the setlist" things
12/20 Cormorant/Wildhunt
1/2 Pity Sex/Whirr
Old 06-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Yeah, they did a thing on Facebook.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:40 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
  • Future Breed Machine - A little weird to see them starting with this, but I get it. This set was supposed to be "different". What I don't get is why this is the only track they played from DEI. No Soul Burn, Transfixion, Vanished...or even Suffer in Truth? Boo.
  • obZen - This would have been my "rarity" pick from this album as well (although they have played it before). Nicely done.
  • The Hurt that Finds You First - This song is great live. Makes sense.
  • Do Not Look Down - Not my favorite from Koloss, but fans like it. Meh.
  • Cadaverous Mastication - I saw lots of mentions of this one on the voting site, but I personally wouldn't have wasted a vote on this. Sounds like early Metallica, if they tried to play in a syncopated style. Pass.
  • Greed - Another choice from CC / None that I just don't get.
  • Gods of Rapture - Now THIS is the song from CC / None that I had voted for...nicely done. This must have been SICK.
  • Neurotica - A curious choice from one of their best albums. Personally, I voted for Corridor of Chameleons and if not that, would have preferred something like Concatenation or Sane, but this song is pretty rad too, I guess.
  • New Millennium Cyanide Christ - Don't know how you build a Meshuggah set list without this track being included - even for a special show like this.
  • Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion - This song is an awesome heavy chugger, but I think the set only needs one of these, and Demiurge is the far superior choice. I'd have preferred another track from Nothing or obZen here.
  • Bleed - Ditto NMCC.
  • Demiurge - SO HEAVY live. Even though I've seen them play it twice, I would have rocked hard to this one yet again.
  • Straws Pulled at Random - Ditto NMCC and Bleed - but for this to be the ONLY track from Nothing (their best album), is just flat out wrong.
...and of course the encore is not surprising. It was great when they did it on the last tour, but since this was supposed to be a special set list, one might have expected they'd do something different. Still pretty awesome, though.

Overall impressions are that there were a few head-scratchers here, but of course I'd still like to see this tour and probably won't get to do so. The closest show to me is five hours away in Chicago on Father's Day, which is also my younger son's birthday, so I won't be going. The screwy song selections are how I'll tell myself that it'll all be OK, but deep down inside I'd still have loved to see a >90-minute Meshuggah set that includes Gods of Rapture.

One question, though...why did nobody vote for Marrow - or if they did, why the fuck won't Meshuggah ever play it? It's one of their best songs, for fuck's sake.
Well said. No Combustion or Pravus is the biggest head scratcher to me. 2 of my 5 favorite Meshuggah songs along with Suffer in Truth. Do Not Look Down and Sinews are SaNOOZERS and need to be voted out for virtually anything else off Koloss...
1/28 - Machine Head
Old 06-09-2014, 10:06 PM
N00B

I have seen Meshuggah 5x and each time, I hope to hear Closed Eye Visuals but I doubt they will play it.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:49 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

WHOA! Playing stuff from Contradictions Collapse!?

Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom

Tags
between the buried and me, meshuggah