Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 09-24-2014, 12:51 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Crowbar -- Merriam, KS -- September 23rd, 2014

World renowned sludge metal act Crowbar brought their blend of hardcore punk and doom metal to the Aftershock in Merriam, KS last night. The NOLA-based band has been spreading the sludge disease in the underground heavy metal scene for almost 25 years - it's easy to see their far-reaching influence, especially now that sludge metal has been thrust into the public consciousness with bands like Kylesa, Red Fang, etc.

The band played for about an hour and steadily switched between crushing, doomed-out slow riffs and hardcore, mosh-inducing fast tempos. Not every band can pull off both tempos, but Crowbar does it with aplomb. The crushing heaviness of classics like "Planets Collide" and "All I Had (I Gave)" went along perfectly with newer songs like "The Cemetery Angels" and "Walk With Knowledge Wisely." Whether going fast or slow, Crowbar made each song as heavy as they possibly could. The sound for their set was nice and clear and just added to the overall heaviness of one of metal's heaviest bands.

Opening the show were four touring bands and two locals. The two locals, Lantern Hill Nightmare and My Father's Gun both performed great but in two different styles of music. Lantern Hill Nightmare combined death metal and grindcore with a smattering of other genres that was reminiscent of other heavy local bands such as Gornography or Torn The Fuck Apart, and My Father's Gun - an amalgamation of punk, heavy metal, groove metal, death metal, and just about everything in between.

The touring package started with Armed For Apocalypse, a very impressive California band that combined thrash and death metal with a heavy sludge/metalcore influence. It's almost what Revocation would sound like if they had a heavier Unearth influence. The next act was Fit For An Autopsy - a pure deathcore band (a rarity these days) that induced the first mosh pits of the night. Chaotic riffing combined with drawn-out, brutal breakdowns is a tried and true formula that always brings results.

One of the first "new-wave thrash" bands, Havok, took the stage next. Although constantly brought up in conversation with their peers in Warbringer, Bonded By Blood and Evile, Havok has managed to outlast them all in terms of longevity and songwriting ability. They've tapped into that vein of creating unique, catchy but still heavy old-school thrash metal with a new-school take on it. The Denver band had to cut at least one song because of technical difficulties when setting up, but they made the most of what they had. "Covering Fire" and "Give Me Liberty... Or Give Me Death" were highlights of their all too brief set.

Direct support fell to one of the most exciting younger bands in heavy metal - Revocation. Combining death metal, thrash metal and grindcore with an excruciatingly amazing technicality, Revocation has been making some of the best and most memorable extreme metal this millennium. Hitting older classics like the mind-boggling "Dismantle The Dictator" and the catchy "No Funeral," the band also played a few tracks off their upcoming album which sounded more straight-forward, yet still brutal. It's always a joy to catch Revocation, and they sounded fantastic last night.
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin OR Wolvhammer
Old 09-24-2014, 12:55 PM
somebody somewhere

Look at all those songs.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marker View Post
Look at all those songs.
"Set Lists and Gig Reports"
12/16 - Pallbearer
Old 09-24-2014, 01:06 PM
N00B

Why you no post songs?
Old 09-24-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj1214 View Post
Why you no post songs?
There were no songs played. They got up and told jokes.
12/16 - Pallbearer
Old 09-24-2014, 01:35 PM
with his arms outstretched

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
well played.
03/07 -- Video Games Live
Old 09-24-2014, 01:52 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Luckly fella
Old 09-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

"The crushing heaviness of classics like "Planets Collide" and "All I Had (I Gave)" went along perfectly with newer songs like "The Cemetery Angels" and "Walk With Knowledge Wisely." "

So they only played 4 songs then?
Old 09-24-2014, 06:26 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

So you can nail the songs for Clipping on your review but you go to see something great like Crowbar & we get 4 songs. You make me sad.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
So you can nail the songs for Clipping on your review but you go to see something great like Crowbar & we get 4 songs. You make me sad.
Clipping >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Crowbar and I'm not even trying to be funny or anything.
12/16 - Pallbearer

Tags
crowbar, havok, revocation