Mastodon -- Kansas City, MO -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Milwaukee, WI -- October 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 05-18-2014, 09:36 AM
N00B

Ashes of Ares -- West Springfield, VA -- May 17th, 2014

Full review

Martyrd- still couldnt get into this Death Angel like thrash band

Ghost of War- started the fire with some classic metal. They also had a cover of "Children of the Sea"

A Sound of Thunder- played a fun old school set, but had some songs cut

Ashes of Ares- sounded great, played the entire album. no surprises. Still worth seeing them again, they were pretty flawless

Martyrd (8:02- 8:31)
  • ?
  • Pain of Reason
  • ? (Sinner)
  • The Mortal Coil: Succumb
  • ? (Faceless)
  • ? (Never Wake)

Ghost of War (8:52- 9:20)
  • Heavens Burning
  • Falling Into Eternity
  • ?
  • Shadows of ? (new song!)
  • Children of the Sea (Black Sabbath cover!)

A Sound of Thunder(9:40- 10:23)

• The Nightwitch
  • Walls
  • Fight Until the End
  • Reign of the Hawklords
  • Blood Vomit (thanks Dave!)
  • Wings of Steel
  • Just Another Fool

Ashes of Ares (10:43-11:40)
  • The Messenger
  • Move the Chains
  • On Warrior's Wings
  • Punishment
  • This Is My Hell
  • Dead Man's Plight
  • Chalice of Man
  • The Answer
  • What I Am
  • The One-Eyed King
Old 05-21-2014, 08:05 PM
N00B

Although I respect the decision to just do their own thing, it's a bummer Barlow isn't at least singing one or two of his old Iced Earth songs.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:10 AM
N00B

I think that both Matt and Freddie had... interesting exits from Iced Earth.

In an interview, Freddie was asked how he would feel about doing an Iced Earth/Ashes of Ares tour and he said "I wouldn't like it at all. Not interested." He also said there was a reason for his abrupt departure but that he would never comment on it. It could be a family issue or something, but from things that he's said, I somehow doubt it. The fact that both him and Matt left and started their own band...

And I believe Matt wasn't happy with how IE management handled his leaving the band again. They kept saying he was retiring and he mentioned that "retire" is not the word he wanted used. When asked how the recording process for the Ashes of Ares debut differed from recording an Iced Earth album, he said "It was nice not be told how to sing." Plus, I think they want Ashes of Ares to stand on it's own, so that's probably why there's no IE covers.

I think the Ashes of Ares album was a good effort. I'm hoping their follow up will be better though. I was really looking forward to it but A) I think the mix kind of sucked. Kind of really sucked. And B) A lot of the music was pretty generic for my liking. I sort of wish Matt had re-joined Pyramaze.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:56 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
I think that both Matt and Freddie had... interesting exits from Iced Earth.

In an interview, Freddie was asked how he would feel about doing an Iced Earth/Ashes of Ares tour and he said "I wouldn't like it at all. Not interested." He also said there was a reason for his abrupt departure but that he would never comment on it. It could be a family issue or something, but from things that he's said, I somehow doubt it. The fact that both him and Matt left and started their own band...

And I believe Matt wasn't happy with how IE management handled his leaving the band again. They kept saying he was retiring and he mentioned that "retire" is not the word he wanted used. When asked how the recording process for the Ashes of Ares debut differed from recording an Iced Earth album, he said "It was nice not be told how to sing." Plus, I think they want Ashes of Ares to stand on it's own, so that's probably why there's no IE covers.

I think the Ashes of Ares album was a good effort. I'm hoping their follow up will be better though. I was really looking forward to it but A) I think the mix kind of sucked. Kind of really sucked. And B) A lot of the music was pretty generic for my liking. I sort of wish Matt had re-joined Pyramaze.
I'm not sure there's ever a good/amicable departure from Iced Earth. First, let me say, I met Jon Schaffer after Iced Earth's Columbus show this year and he was very nice. He took photos with fans and signed everything we asked for.
Having said that, he doesn't seem very easy to work for. Raphael Saini was announced as a replacement for Brent Smedley and then was gone in the blink of an eye. On the album he was only credited as a session player. When Barlow left the first time, Iced Earth said he was inspired by 9/11 to become a cop, but the reality was he was poor and needed a real job. source: http://hardrockhaven.net/online/2013...dio-interview/
Also, check out these comments from original lead guitarist Randall Shawver:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=122704951088456
Romulo Jess Pridgen - It would be nice if you and Dave Abell reunited with Iced Earth again, even if it is for a little bit.
April 2, 2012 at 1:53am 1
Randall Shawver - The problem with that is Jon would want to keep 95% of the profits.I dont work for peanuts anymore.
April 2, 2012 at 7:46pm 2

Tags
a sound of thunder, ashes of ares, ghost of war, martyrd