The Heaviest Matter of the Universe
Backbone
Flying Whales
L'enfant Sauvage
Toxic Garbage Island
In the Forest
Oroborus
Vacuity

First of all, let me say for the 100th time on here that I hate the fucking Sound Academy. Sorry to start off so negatively, but I hate this goddamn venue with a passion.

Now that that's out of the way, this was part of the Mastodon tour that Gojira is on. They were the fucking shit. Still the best live band on the fucking planet. The circle pit they had during Flying Whales was in-fucking-sane! I'm also liking the setlist changeup. I know a lot of people were blowing their load over "Blow Me Away You(niverse)", but Oroborus and Vacuity absolutely kill live. It's almost impossible not to headbang to Vacuity.

Kvelertak were decent. They had a pretty good reception from the crowd and a small pit going throughout their set. I left during Mastodon's first song. I'm not a huge fan of their music outside of a select few songs, one of which is March of the Fire ants, which I didn't see in any of the setlists from this tour so far, so I didn't stick around for them.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:29 PM
N00B

Gojira were definitely the band of the night, absolutely outstanding performance!

Mastodon were as good as they usually are, but since Gojira played before them, they seemed really tame by comparison. I don't know what it is, but I cannot get into Kvelertak at all. My friend said their live show would change that...nope, oh well.

I left during The Sparrow because I also hate the Sound Academy, and it's very sporadic times with the public transit in the area. Luckily I got to the bus stop just as the bus pulled up.
10/18 - King Diamond
11/18+21 - Manowar
11/30 - Slipknot
12/21 - Opeth
Old 05-11-2014, 07:50 AM
The guy behind the guy, behind the guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
I'm also liking the setlist changeup. I know a lot of people were blowing their load over "Blow Me Away You(niverse)", but Oroborus and Vacuity absolutely kill live. It's almost impossible not to headbang to Vacuity.
Understood. But when you've seen Gojira 3 times and they play 80% of the same songs every time, it gets a bit numbing. Every time I've seen them they've played all these songs except In The Forest. They did To Sirius one other time. They have such a good catalog now. Wish they'd bring in songs like A Sight To Behold, In The Wilderness, Ocean Planet, and new ones like Planned Obsolescence or Mouth Of Kala. So much good shit! Seems they like to play it safe.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:44 PM
N00B

I saw them play Planned Obsolescence at Heavy TO in 2012. That was pretty awesome! Although even for a support slot, some more L'enfant Sauvage songs would have been awesome. Hopefully one day in the future they whip out "Pain is the master"
Old 05-12-2014, 06:53 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

I only barely understand leaving for a headliner you're not interested in. The only time I've done it was for Flogging Molly a few years ago - which I attended solely to see Clutch - but I did stay for several FM songs and I admit they were fun. I just had something else to do afterward that I was more interested in.

Doing that for Mastodon, though, is incomprehensible to me. I know some folks don't appreciate them as much as I do, but it's not like they're awful, no matter what you like. How does someone like Gojira a ton and Kvelertak at least a little bit, but not like Mastodon at all? That just puzzles me.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:50 AM
N00B

When I said Kverlertak were decent, I was talking performance wise. I've listened to a bit of their music before, and while not terrible, it's not quite my thing. As for Mastodon, i've seen them live before, and while they were decent then, they're definitely not a band I would seek out to see again just based on their live performance. I've also mentioned i'm not really huge into their music, but I definitely dig their earlier, metal-leaning stuff more than their last couple of releases (at least what i've heard from those albums), and since I know their setlists over that timespan are more weighted in favour of that material, I decided to pass. And again, if I knew March of the Fire Ants was being played, I might have stuck around. Plus I really only watched Kvelertak because I had to. Hypothetically, if Mastodon was opening and Kvelertak was headling (I know that wouldn't happen with these bands but just an example), i'd obviously watch Mastodon, probably think they were ok, and then bolt before Kvelertak hit the stage. I never got into the whole "You have to see them live" argument when it comes to bands you're not interested in or are borderline about. If the enjoyment of the music itself isn't there than the live performance is likely not going to do much to change that.

Another thing factoring into me leaving was the venue. The Sound Academy is so goddamn narrow that you're either up front or in the middle and squished, or you're near the back and can barely see the stage (And at 5'8" I don't exactly have the height advantage for the latter). The balcony for most shows is also reserved for people with premium tickets (this was one of those shows). There's just simply no place to relax or chill out and watch the show from afar, and I didn't really feel like putting up with that lack of luxury for a band I don't really care for. If this show was at a different venue, say the Kool Haus - a venue of similar size but better layout and a better location - I might have stuck around for like 25-50% of the set probably as it's easier to do that. But given all these factors I just decided to split.

Last edited by AnthG; 05-12-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:11 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Makes a lot more sense when you put it that way. A shitty venue can make you want to bolt early for sure.

I also agree with you on liking Mastodon's earlier material more than their recent stuff (with a few exceptions for me, obviously). It seems as if their current setlists are fairly well-balanced, though, so again I would have wanted to see that.

Tags
gojira