King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014

Old 07-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Metal Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
I was at the Triptykon/1349 show back in 2010 (?) and during 1349 this dude was trying to mosh but no one was having it (maybe a couple guys for a short time, but nothign bad). The dude came up to me and shove dme and was like "COME YOU FUCKIN PUSSY!!! GET IN THE PIT!" I just shook my head and said no and continued to watch 1349, and he continued to yell at me. I think he got in my face at one point.... as if Moshing was a life or death situation!
I would have been furious with that situation. As if having to watch 1349 wasn't bad enough, then you have someone asshole coming at you for not moshing to that garbage?
Old 07-09-2014, 01:56 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausea View Post
I would have been furious with that situation. As if having to watch 1349 wasn't bad enough, then you have someone asshole coming at you for not moshing to that garbage?
They were awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 07-09-2014, 10:25 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
Judge shows were probably even worse given their militant straight edge lyrics. Mike has said one of the reasons they broke up was that they were tired of people trying to start fights with them.
Just saw Judge two weeks ago or so. SO MUCH DIVING and only one fight almost because some guy just wouldn't get off the front of the stage.

Their singer seems like a douche.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Fragments of a sunbeam glaring on a kitchen knife

I don't really understand the point of pits, I'd rather just stand there and watch and listen to the band. Although, I have nothing against them.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:58 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

If I was in a band I think I'd appreciate the crowd moshing. I can't imagine the empty feeling of standing on stage and seeing no-one moving, just staring blankly.

When I did play in a band I got used to the feeling of watching most of the crowd thin out towards the door. That was awesome.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 -DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy
Old 07-10-2014, 06:14 AM
Metal Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
They were awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not a fan... but they also aren't in my top 20 most hated metal bands.

I just noticed you are from Seattle! \m/ How about them Seahawks huh Did you go to the 2007 At The Gates Reunion tour at El Corazon?
Old 07-10-2014, 06:29 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
If I was in a band I think I'd appreciate the crowd moshing. I can't imagine the empty feeling of standing on stage and seeing no-one moving, just staring blankly.

When I did play in a band I got used to the feeling of watching most of the crowd thin out towards the door. That was awesome.
Well this assumes there is no middle ground between moshing and standing there stoicly doing nothing. I mean usually the first 3-4 "rows" of people at a show aren't actually doing any moshing, they're just rushing near the front, headbanging, arms in the air, and singing along to the lyrics, so the band on stage still has that to see and sees that more often than the moshing I would assume.
11/30 - Slipknot/Korn
12/27 - Protest the Hero
Old 07-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Fragments of a sunbeam glaring on a kitchen knife

I really don't think moshing is the only visual sign of appreciating and enjoying the show. But than again, it really depends on the band.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:30 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobys37 View Post
I think hate moshing and trying to hurt people is the dumbest thing going in heavy music today. I have no problem with moshing even though I don't participate but I think there is becoming a scene where it's just getting out of hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausea View Post
you say this like it's a new thing.
Moshing is not a new thing, but the kind of moshing he's talking about - which a lot of folks are calling "hate moshing" these days - is. I started going to shows back in the day like you did - probably even a few years earlier, and the primary thing I remember about the pits back then is that they were extremely violent, but generally there was a very strong unwritten rule that you didn't try to hurt somebody on purpose in the pit. In fact, one of the first things I noticed about the pits I saw when I was getting into metal back then was that if you fell, somebody (or multiple somebodies) would grab you and literally pick you up and put you back on your feet within seconds.

I short, there used to be a code about moshing, but nowadays things are starting to get somewhat scary. Some people actually seem to be trying to hurt others, or at the very least, there seems to be a big movement towards macho bro-ism where the biggest fuckers are out there trying to prove something by knocking people down and throwing elbows and shit like that. On the rare occasions I do still go into the pit (my last time was for Meshuggah on their last tour, I think), I steer clear of these assholes at any cost - not because I'm afraid of getting hit, but because I'm big enough to handle them and I just know I'd get into a fight with one of them and get thrown out of the show if I were to show them what I really think about their stupid childish bullshit.

In summary:
  • Moshing is fine. If you don't like it, stay out of the pit.
  • Hate moshing is bullshit.
  • Crowd surfing is fine if the crowd is dense enough that your fat ass rolling around on top of it isn't going to hurt anybody or result in you being dropped.
  • Stage diving is crazy and dangerous (but I've still done it), and should only be done at shows where the people in the front are 100% down with it.
  • Karate kicking / double windmill arm flailing / hardcore dancing looks ridiculous and you look stupid when you do it. We are all laughing at you, not with you.
  • Drunks are assholes. Avoid them like the plague. Don't be one.
  • Steer clear of skinheads and militant fucks with agendas at all times.
  • Other than that, live and let live, and have a nice day.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Metal Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Moshing is not a new thing, but the kind of moshing he's talking about - which a lot of folks are calling "hate moshing" these days - is. I started going to shows back in the day like you did - probably even a few years earlier, and the primary thing I remember about the pits back then is that they were extremely violent, but generally there was a very strong unwritten rule that you didn't try to hurt somebody on purpose in the pit. In fact, one of the first things I noticed about the pits I saw when I was getting into metal back then was that if you fell, somebody (or multiple somebodies) would grab you and literally pick you up and put you back on your feet within seconds.
Honestly I think it just depends on your location and the bands you were going to see. yes a lot of the concerts I went too as a kid was as you described. People were looking out for others, and no one really wanted others to get hurt.

Other concerts I went too, people were actively trying to hurt others on purpose. We have this new label now (hate moshing), but depending on the show and the bands, it's always been there. perhaps it's more of an artifact of location though... I grew up in Spokane WA and across the border in Idaho was this giant skinhead neo-nazi camp. Depending on the bands, those fuckers would come out in full force, and they literally were coming to the shows to hurt people. It wasnt hard to spot them, because they branded their face and arms with swastikas. So that's what I grew up with... half the shows I went to were fairly dangerous.

And as I mentioned before... the whole Hardcore scene in NYC the 80s. How could you not call that hate moshing? It might not have had the same name back then, but it's been around for a while.

IMHO- There's always been assholes. Nothing new here.