The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Video Games

Old 08-24-2014, 01:13 PM
N00B

Is it worth getting a PS4 or XB1 just yet?

At the end of the year, or early next year, I was planning on getting one of them. Thing is though, a lot of upcoming games I want to check out, are also coming out on PS3 and X360. Is it worth the money investing in a new console soon, or do you suggest waiting another year or so, when more exclusive titles are out?
11/1 - Suffocation
11/30 - Slipknot
12/21 - Opeth
Old 08-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I honestly think the first "must-have" game for current gen systems is Destiny. I actually wouldn't mind getting one for Christmas. If not this Christmas, waiting until next year can't hurt - lots of great titles coming out for each platform.
10/05 - Macabre
10/07 - Knuckle Puck
Old 08-24-2014, 01:49 PM

My norm has been wait 2 years. The game selection will be built up and the prices will no doubt be down.

N64 released in '96, I got it in '98.
PS2 released in '00, I got it in '02.
PS3 released in '06, I got it in '08.

That's just me though. Video games aren't exactly a priority for me.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:56 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

I have a PS4. I do enjoy it, but I would not have upgraded if my 360 hadn't died last summer. There aren't enough exclusive games yet to justify getting it, and while there are a lot of great games coming out this year, there are still not enough next-gen exclusives. I would wait until next summer. By that point, plenty of games should be down to the $20 mark and there will be enough interesting exclusives as well.
11/7 - Artillery/Onslaught
11/27 - DTA/Obituary/Massacre
Old 08-24-2014, 03:04 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I'm holding out for Final Fantasy XV. I'm not sure which I'll get but the availability of the next Mass Effect plays a big part too. I really have no reason to stick with PlayStation aside from the fact that I've been a "PlayStation guy" since 1997. Backwards compatibility on either system would be the biggest deal-breaker I guess. I'd really like that Halo package too. That's the big draw for me to Xbox.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 08-24-2014, 03:35 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

I have a PS4, but waiting awhile wouldn't have hurt. I really wanted to play AC4 and Watch Dogs on it though, so I ended up getting one. I'm looking forward to Shadow Of Mordor and AC Unity on it to. I would've definitely wanted it before KH3 came out, which rumor has it will be out next March.

But I still have my PS3 because of KH 1.5 and 2.5. There will be a program included with PS plus that will features over 150 PS3, PS2, and PS1 games for PS4, so that's a plus.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:32 AM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

The only game at the moment that really excites me for "next gen" is Arkham Knight. Back in the day there was a HUGE improvement in graphics between PS1 and PS2. I remember playing THPS3 on PS1, and then PS2 and thinkign "wow... this is so much better!" Games now a days just dont seem to have THAT big of a difference, except maybe an extra drip of sweat or an extra muscle tone line. Does that really affect the gameplay though? No, its just there in a materialistic way. Sure it looks cool, but I'm more about games that are fun.

Anyways, definitely too early right now. I don't even know if I'll ever buy a next gen console, especially sicne I have more fun playing SNES games than I do most current/last gen games

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 08-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

I'd say by the end of the year.

Destiny, Shadow Of Mordor plus old games that are already out is a must.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:11 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
I have a PS4, but waiting awhile wouldn't have hurt. I really wanted to play AC4 and Watch Dogs on it though, so I ended up getting one. I'm looking forward to Shadow Of Mordor and AC Unity on it to. I would've definitely wanted it before KH3 came out, which rumor has it will be out next March.

But I still have my PS3 because of KH 1.5 and 2.5. There will be a program included with PS plus that will features over 150 PS3, PS2, and PS1 games for PS4, so that's a plus.
That's all fine and dandy if they just had some program installed that let me type in the bar code or serial number of the games I still have hard copies of. There's no way I'm buying a digital copy of a game I already bought and paid for and have sitting on my shelf. Until my PS2 officially dies.

No, fuck them. I don't care; getting rid of backwards compatibility was a dick move. I'd gladly pay an extra two hundred dollars for a system that can handle my whole library. Which I'm sure is in the grand scheme of things.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 08-25-2014, 12:05 PM
N00B

I was going to wait a little while longer for a PS4 but then Arkham Knight coming on in October sort of expedited that quite a bit.

Regardless, if there are games on the PS4 you want to play that are also on PS3, i'd say go with the PS4 and buy those games on there. I haven't played the PS4 much other than the odd demo at an EB Games or Best Buy, but I would imagine it will look much better on the PS4 than PS3 for those games. And since the price for that title on PS4 will likely be the same as the PS3 version. So when you buy your PS4 and you want to play that title that you bought for PS3 instead, you'll be Shit out of luck unless you drag your PS3 back out. Unless they have some sort of digital code for you to play your PS3 titles on PS4 like Adam may have been getting at.

Then again, maybe I don't know what i'm talking about and the PS4 price will drop significantly by this time next year. The Playstation 4 is $450 now. Anyone know why the price went up? The specs of the console didn't change from what I've read, and that was the price even before it was bundled with The Last of Us.

All of this is also worth nothing that I didn't buy a PS3 until 2012.