Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 05-01-2014, 11:55 PM
Buahahahahaha

Mastodon -- Oakland, CA -- May 1st, 2014

I’ll just start with the first band.

First band was Kvelertak. I’ve known about this band for a while but have never actually taken the time to listen to them, but going in I assumed they were good because blackened rock ‘n’ roll sounds cool. And it was. If you haven’t heard Kvelertak yet, they’re kinda like a Norwegian Andrew W.K. with black metal influences. They were pretty fun live. The first song they played felt like it had an extended intro and the singer performed the song with some sort of mask that had a whole owl on it, so that was cool. After that, they were just jamming on some rockin’ tunes and were tons of fun. The singer has really good presence and the guitarists are good. I was surprised the one playing the most leads was playing with no pick. I don’t get why some people decide to play without a pick but he sounded fine so whatever. Overall, Kvelertak were fun and I’d be down to see ‘em again.

Next up was Gojira. This was my third time seeing them and it was a blast yet again. Once they came on, it was apparent a good amount of the crowd was super pumped to see Gojira and might’ve been the main draw for them, because people were going hard during their set. These guys have incredible presence and their live sound is heavy as hell. The set was about what I would expect from a Gojira opening set, but it’s still always a blast to hear songs like Heaviest Matter Of The Universe, Backbone, and Flying Whales. You can probably guess which album of theirs is my favorite… I thought it was really cool that they brought out some old tunes, they were super heavy. And the extended jam during the last song was awesome. Overall, Gojira are always a fun live band.

Gojira
To Sirius
The Heaviest Matter of the Universe
Backbone
Flying Whales
L'Enfant Sauvage
Toxic Garbage Island
In the Forest
Blow Me Away You(niverse)

Next up was the almighty Mastodon. This was now 8th time seeing them, and this performance was up there with some of the best. I was trying to avoid the setlist because I like to be surprised when I see Mastodon, but the first two songs were spoiled for me when I opened a thread on another forum I go on. But seeing Hearts Alive and Divinations on there made me super pumped and I was under the impression the setlist was gonna be really good, and boy was I right. This is probably the most impressive setlist Mastodon has put together in a while if you wanna hear deepcuts. Yet again, Mastodon sounded great live. Their vocals are as good as ever if you ask me. Only thing bad I can say is I couldn’t hear Brent too well, but that’s mostly due to the fact that I was on Bill’s side of the stage during the set. Hearts Alive was awesome to experience again, as it’s my favorite Masto-tune, even if it’s kinda weird as an opener. But I went HAM during part before the first verse and the solo section. It’s such an epic song. Divinations was awesome to hear again since they haven’t played it since 2010 I don’t think. After those two songs it was all surprises for me so when I heard the intro for Crusher Destroyer I went full school-girl mode and lost it. And from there they were just playing banger after banger. The set was just such a good mix of tunes, I really coulda only asked for more Remission. But hearing them jam Bladecatcher, Trample Under Hoof, Siberian Divide, and Naked burn was just amazing. I would’ve never guessed they’d bust out those tunes. And getting standard tunes like Capillarian Crest, Crystal Skull, Megalodon, Aqua Dementia and Oblivion is always tight. I really liked the sound of the new song, Chimes At Midnight. There were some really sweet harmonized leads and the main riff is pretty heavy. High Road was also enjoyable too. Something funny I noted is they had lyrics printed out for the new ones near the monitors. And like people have mentioned, having The Sparrow as a closer is little bit of a mood killer, but I can’t complain because this setlist was so impressive. Overall, Mastodon delivered yet again. I think the best time to see Mastodon is right before they release a new album and right after the new album comes out, because they pull out a lot of the goodies.

Mastodon
Hearts Alive
Divinations
Crusher Destroyer
Capillarian Crest
Black Tongue
Bladecatcher
Crystal Skull
Trampled Under Hoof
Siberian Divide
Naked Burn
Megalodon
Oblivion
Octopus Has No Friends
Chimes At Midnight (new song)
High Road (new song)
Aqua Dementia
-------------------
The Sparrow

Kvelertak: 7/10
Gojira: 8/10
Mastodon: 10/10

Here's some shitty photos I took of the merch. Shirts were $30.

10/30 KING DIAMOND
11/06 Intronaut

Last edited by slapguitarer; 05-02-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:06 AM
when you hit the floor you can always crawl!

Yeah, setlists remain the same. I guess that The Sparrow wasn't played as an encore though.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:18 AM
One who onions things

Sweet, I'm excited. Tomorrow night will be my first time seeing Mastodon since Missing Link 2010.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 05-02-2014, 07:07 AM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piroxen View Post
Yeah, setlists remain the same. I guess that The Sparrow wasn't played as an encore though.
I mean it was the "encore" but there was like no wait from when they get off stage after playing Aqua Dementia to when they started The Sparrow.
10/30 KING DIAMOND
11/06 Intronaut
Old 05-02-2014, 07:36 AM
N00B

What kind of merch was available? Those sets are amazing
10/18 - King Diamond
11/1 - Suffocation
11/30 - Slipknot
12/21 - Opeth
Old 05-02-2014, 08:46 AM
N00B

Did Gojira use "From Mars" as their intro over the PA?
11/30 - Slipknot/Korn
12/27 - Protest the Hero
Old 05-02-2014, 08:53 AM
N00B

With the exception of The Sparrow, that's a great setlist.

The only thing that would make The Sparrow a good closer is if an actual sparrow flew out of Brent's beard during the song.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
Did Gojira use "From Mars" as their intro over the PA?
Their intro is a variation of the chord progression in From Mars. No vocals, just string/synth/swells.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:15 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Interested in merch too if you have any info.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 05-02-2014, 09:25 AM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Kvelertak
Apenbaring
Spring Fra Livet
Bruane Brenn
Nekrokosmos
Ulvetid
Evig Vandrar
Blodtorst

What a show. The only disappointments were that Kvelertak and Gojira really flew by at 30 and 45 minutes, and I was bummed I didn't hear Kvelertak or Explosia.

I don't think you can get a better selection of Mastodon songs, seems like they sat down and made sure each album was well represented. I was a little worried that Brent was gonna have another meltdown since he was retuning and complaining about not having a tech between the first few songs, but he settled down.

I can't get over the set, especially since I didn't peek ahead of time.

Last edited by TonyD; 05-03-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Tags
gojira, kvelertak, mastodon