Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Old 06-19-2014, 06:38 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
Strictly speaking tone wise, Glenn lost his ear for it when he dropped Marshall for Engl. Ritchie's is slightly more bearable, but not by much. Also, the EMG pickups almost always make matters worse. Only guys I know that use them and still sound unique are Devy and Wolf Hoffmann. All the 70s & 80s Priest stuff was the classic Gibson with Duncan pickups through Marshall amps. Why fuck with a good thing?
So you don't like any guitarist with EMG pickups?

My album collection: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10683&page=16
Old 06-19-2014, 07:02 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Hmm, well Rob sounds an awful lot better on Dragonaut, but that guitar tone is horrible.

And Battle Cry just sounds boring as fuck. Where's all the "heavy" Rob kept going on about?

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 06-19-2014, 08:34 AM
Fuck you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalIsArt View Post
So you don't like any guitarist with EMG pickups?
Barely. In almost all of my experiences, they do only one thing well: Music with extreme gain. Their clean/overdriven tones are laughable and the most highlighted players that endorse them (Zakk, Kirk, Kerry) all have shittastic tone.

Like I said off the top of my head. Wolf Hoffmann & Devy are the only ones I can think of that still sound completely unique tone wise while still not sounding like shit. I'm sure if I had a list of guitarists that used EMGs I could find a handful more that I enjoy, but those two are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

Seymour Duncan was and always will be the best pickup maker around.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:43 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

You're not going to like my soon to appear favourite guitarist thread, then

My album collection: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10683&page=16
Old 07-01-2014, 02:22 PM
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

Entire album available for streaming
Old 07-01-2014, 06:04 PM
One who onions things

Well shit, halfway through and I'm liking the album a lot so far. Even the title track grew on me a bit. Nothing as good as the best songs on Nostradamus and AoR so far, but I think it's already a hell of a lot more consistent than either of them. Cold Blooded rules.

Glenn's solos sound absolutely awful though. Richie rips mad here.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 07-01-2014, 06:46 PM
Hunting High And Low

To be honest from what I've listened to I'm really diggin' it. It's the classic JP sound, and frankly that's all I'm looking for. I'm also noticing a little Painkiller vibe with this album, which is awesome because that's my favorite JP record. Rob sounds great and there's definitely some good riffs throughout the songs I've heard. The guitar tone is definitely not as good as it should be, but it's not terrible.

Favorite songs so far are Dragonaut and Metalizer.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Concert Veteran

I really enjoyed my first listen to it. It has the classic Priest sound and it's a very consistent album. I agree with Onioner, Cold Blooded is the stand out track for me so far.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:22 PM
One who onions things

Holy mother of fuck, Secrets of the Dead is absolutely amazing. I didn't think that Priest were capable of writing a song this great in 2014. The spoken word section is really really bad, but it crossed the threshold into being so bad that it's awesome. Battle Cry is also solid as fuck, and so is much of Halls of Valhalla (not a big fan of the latter's chorus though). Down in Flames could have totally been an awesome track on Screaming for Vengeance too. Love the harmonized solo.

Rob is definitely giving more of an effort on this album than he has in a long time. He totally nails some screams and others he sounds really strained. As for Glenn and Richie, their tone is definitely pretty awful (the chorusing in the title track is still horrible), but I think Mike Exeter went with it to leave some room for Ian in the mix. Scott's snare is also sounding its best since Painkiller and it's actually really up there, which was a big problem on AoR and Nostradamus. The mix is really growing on me to be honest. Even if it isn't ideal (there's room for the kicks to be a lot meatier), I think I'd take this mix over 90% of other metal engineering jobs.

Forcing people to stream this thing as a front to back album was probably the smartest thing the band has done throughout this entire promo period. This reminds me a lot of when A Different Kind of Truth came out. I'm really excited for the double-disc edition now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
I'm also noticing a little Painkiller vibe with this album, which is awesome because that's my favorite JP record.
That vibe is probably coming from the fact that the main riffs from Battle Cry and Halls of Valhalla basically jack riffs from the title track to Painkiller almost verbatim. There's a part in Dragonaut that does that as well. Not to mention the title track is basically a more upbeat Hell Patrol. That was just from one listen to the album, maybe there's even more instances of that happening?
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31

Last edited by Onioner; 07-01-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:51 AM
The Cheese

This wasn't bad. Pre-ordered! I feel like a lot of this has more of a hard rock feel than a heavy metal one, and it's working for me. I still think the mix is a bit muddy, but the songs are decent, so whatever, I guess.

(Also is there some sort of rule that requires modern Judas Priest albums' artwork to look like PhotoShop abortions?)