Judas Priest -- Kansas City, MO -- October 20th, 2014
Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014

Old 04-21-2014, 02:15 AM
One who onions things

Godflesh -- San Francisco, CA -- April 20th, 2014

Found myself in SF running an errand for an article I'm writing. Without giving away too much detail, I literally ran all over San Francisco looking for a 24 hour copy center while I held an envelope containing photos of the beginning of the modern bay area metal scene. Fuck Easter. That is all.

I'll provide the beginning and end to that story at a later date. Basically I decided fuck it when it came to being "show'd out" for the weekend and went to go see Godflesh down the street from where I grabbed the aforementioned photos even though I have to wake up for a flight in 2.5 hours.

I walked in near the end of the final support act. It was some old guy playing with CDJ equipment and laptops and dancing around sometimes. It sucked.

Godflesh was next and they were actually damn awesome. Justin Broadrick is a really compelling presence onstage and the sound was epic. Just an all-around great set. Also, I didn't know anything by Godflesh before going in and purely decided to go on a whim. Yes, I'm a poser I know. The crowd was a mix of hipstertypes and metalfolk, very solid turnout overall though I believe there were plenty of tickets left before a sellout. It was my first time at the main room of the DNA Lounge- great view from anywhere on the floor, and you could find a decent spot from the upstairs if you wanted too.

Setlist from setlist.fm- yeah I know, damn some guy was quick.

01. Like Rats
02. Christbait Rising
03. Streetcleaner
04. Tiny Tears
05. Avalanche Master Song
06. Spite
07. Mothra
08. Monotremata
09. Bigot
10. Pure
11. Crush My Soul
Encore
12. Love Is a Dog from Hell

So that concludes my weekend o' metal. Hope you guys enjoyed the posts. Also I think I found a fun way to detail my gigs and journalism adventures without going overboard or revealing too much. The final list of awesome people that made this particular weekend a pile of rule (in no particular order) is as follows. A few people you might know of, others you probably don't. For a decent while (and still pretty often in LA), shows were a kinda lonely thing for me, so when I get the opportunity to hang out with anyone friendly and nice at all, I feel the need to acknowledge their kindness in at least some way. Yeah, I'm a vain fuck for writing all this to begin with but whatever, I do what I want! So yeah, these are all killer people that made this weekend way more amazing than it would have have been otherwise.

- Jim, Kerry, Nat, Brandon and Kent Occultist
- L.D. Muerte
- Landmine Raul
- Doktor and Mrs. Sewage
- Bloodbath McGrath and Natalie, PhD
- True Metal Garen
- Dan Skywalker
- P-Man
- Six-Fingers Kocol
- Scotty Tankcrimes
- Gutbucket Scott
- Kogar Dave
- Poison Luis
- Metal Bob
- Cobbett the Hammer
- Badr Leo and Miss Laurie Sue
- Charlie's House Robert
- Lucifer Matt
- Natalie of the Pit
- Box Office Aesop
- Midnight Steve
- Brian the Distro
- Brandon Moose, Chico Lauren and Eli the dog
- Shannon the Internet-absent
- Photo Ray
- Clint Roadking
- Globetrotter Ashley
- Fifteen Years Andy
- Ma and Pa Onioner

Night fools.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16

Last edited by Onioner; 04-21-2014 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:23 AM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

I scored a free ticket to the show in Hollywood back in October, but gave it to a friend cause Nails dropped. Godflesh was announced for a signing at Vacation Vinyl tomorrow. I got super stoked to have my Napalm vinyl signed and they announced it was cancelled a few minutes later.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:26 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
I scored a free ticket to the show in Hollywood back in October, but gave it to a friend cause Nails dropped. Godflesh was announced for a signing at Vacation Vinyl tomorrow. I got super stoked to have my Napalm vinyl signed and they announced it was cancelled a few minutes later.
That's so weird about the Vacation signing. Justin didn't come off as the most social dude last night, maybe Godflesh's management scheduled it without consulting the band or something?
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 04-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
That's so weird about the Vacation signing. Justin didn't come off as the most social dude last night, maybe Godflesh's management scheduled it without consulting the band or something?
I have no idea. It was such a let down. I had kept my Napalm vinyl still wrapped in the plastic I bought it in to keep it in good condition. I ripped off that plastic as soon as they announced the singing and then it was cancelled. At least I finally got to give that vinyl a spin.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 AM
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
Justin didn't come off as the most social dude last night, maybe Godflesh's management scheduled it without consulting the band or something?
I don't know about now but in '96 he was very friendly after the show I saw him at and I got a couple of CDs autographed. I remember it seemed odd to me because he was very upbeat, quite a contrast to the music he plays.
4-22 Nightwish

Tags
godflesh