Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Sadistic Intent -- Downey, CA -- December 21st, 2013
Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Video Games

View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Final Fantasy Game (of the standard numbered series)?
Final Fantasy 0 0%
Final Fantasy II 0 0%
Final Fantasy III 0 0%
Final Fantasy IV 0 0%
Final Fantasy V 0 0%
Final Fantasy VI 3 33.33%
Final Fantasy VII 3 33.33%
Final Fantasy VIII 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy IX 0 0%
Final Fantasy X 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy XI 0 0%
Final Fantasy XII 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy XIII 0 0%
Final Fantasy XIV 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2014, 05:43 PM
with his arms outstretched

Final Fantasy IX
Japanese Release Date: July 7th, 2000
North American Release Date: November 13th, 2000
Original Platform: Sony Playstation

Another one that was in my top twenty-five.

Favorite Moment: Vivi's reaction to the Black Waltz killing all those Black Mages
Best Song: Freya's Theme
Coolest Character: Beatrix
Lamest Character: Quina
Gameplay Demo: I'm pretty sure this was when you returned to Freya's home town Burmecia
Average Completion Time: 55 hours
Rating: 4 out of 5

Final Boss: Necron

[EDIT: October 12th, 2014]
I went into playing this game again thinking that time might have clouded my judgment in an opposite way. With most Final Fantasy games I remember the bad; therefore I think the game sucks. Then I go back and play it (like I did with Final Fantasy VIII) and Iím like, ďhey, that wasnít too bad at allĒ. So when I did my review earlier this year and then started this one up I was like, ďI remember it being good but was it really THAT goodĒ? Well, it is.

Itís remembered for itís incredible cast of characters, itís old school feel and itís awesome soundtrack. And yes, it has all three. It was nice to play a game where pretty much every character was likeable and felt they needed to be there. Unlike most Final Fantasies (where I hate most of the cast) almost everyone, from the main party, to secondary villains to an old woman selling pickles, felt like they deserved their place in the game. It made for a very warm experience, being emotionally attached and feeling and caring for everyone. The old school design is a nice change of pace sandwiched in the middle of VI and VIIís steam punk, VIIIís TEEN DRAMA, and the latter games shitnadoís. The overall design was just fun to play; weapons, inns, towns, dungeons. It was like taking the original Final Fantasy and just transferring it in to 2000ís design. And the music is really fucking great. Like, really fucking great. The story itself is very good. Like I said, all the characters (except Quina) have their place and purpose. It does become a little disjointed towards the end of disk three and the climax/ending feels a little rushed. Itís not quite as heavy as Final Fantasy VII or X but sometimes you just need to take it easy. Some characters stories couldíve used a little more expansion (especially Freyaís) but having all those unknown variables and mystery is a nice touch too.

But donít get me wrong; there are flaws. The characters design is a bit off. Most characters are designed to look like Muppets. There are hippos and knights in comically sized armor. I mean; your hero Zidane has a goddamn tail. And thanks to the terrible PSone renders they look like very poorly rendered hippos and knights in comically sized armor. So when the game needs to be taken seriously itís very hard to do so. Itís like watching Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy act out the Godfather. The gameplay itself is very slow. The story unfolds at a fine pace but playing the actual game takes some time. Just starting a battle, watching the slow pans of the camera around the battlefield, then your characters ATB gauges slowly filling up. YAWN. Sometimes it seems to take a minute before you can even get an action in (even if it is only ten or fifteen seconds). I tried playing the game last year after playing Final Fantasy XIII and I couldnít handle the slow pace of the battles. So playing it now after playthroughs of VIII and X was a little easier to manage. The graphics are hard on the eyes but that goes without saying for a PSone title. And I found it very easy. I didnít break a sweat really EVER playing this game. Some people may find that to be a turn off. Not so much for me. Iíd rather let the story unfold at the pace Iím playing at than have to spend hours grinding. Thereís a lot of game anyway to sidetrack you and build your characters. I never bothered with any of it this time around since none of it added to the story and I was just interested in that.

Overall I was really glad that I took the time to go back and play this game again. It was a little more lighthearted than most Final Fantasies and just let me have fun. There are some incredible moments like Burmecia, or Zidanes revelation. None of the characters are bad at all really. And the music and painted environments were awesome. It just made me feel a little sad that there probably will never be another Final Fantasy like this.

It really is one of the very best in the series and playing it again only adds to my great memories of it. Iíll miss playing this one and I donít think Iíll wait ten years to play it again.

Favorite Moment: anything involving the Black Mages is pretty good, but when you first find their village and get to know them a bitÖthatís sad...poor Mr. 36.
Best Song: Freya's Theme (and all the songs based off it)
Coolest Character: Freya
Lamest Character: Quina
Average Completion Time: 35 hours
Rating: 4 out of 5

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 10-12-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:46 PM

So with the turn of the century (the millennium, Y2K, whatever the fuck it was called) came big changes for Final Fantasy. FFIX wasn’t the last Final Fantasy in the classic style but it really was the end of an era. The nineties were really good for Final Fantasy and the late nineties especially were really profitable. So that gave Square the freedom to do pretty much whatever they wanted. Of the big changes one of the biggest was sequels. As you may know, no two Final Fantasy games had anything to do with one another. When one was over that was it. Well that all changed in the 2000’s. Unfortunately ot always seemed to me like they made sequels to the lesser games in the series. But we'll get into that in about three years. Another huge change was (thanks to new technology) voice over’s. Something people had always wanted to see (and we just unable to due to limitations even on the Playstation). We’ll get into that more as we go. Not to mention stylistic changes, gameplay changes and directional changes. Some for the good…some not so much.

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-13-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:22 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

I actually still ain't sold on voice-acting in Final Fantasy - I think you lose some of the engrossment with it at times. FFIX is an incredible piece of art though, holy hell.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:29 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
It's on Steam - 12.99
holy fucking titties
Old 04-13-2014, 07:32 PM

I just never realized how annoying some characters are and how poor some of the lines are. It may be the fact that they hire lousy voice actors but when they re-did FFIV and added some cutscenes with voice overs I was just like, damn this dialogue sucks.

I think if characters like Yuffie, Cait Sith and Quina were ever remade with voice actors it would add another dimension to the layers of dislike for those characters. Unless they actually hired decent actors. But you know a character like Yuffie would be cast as another Ritalin addicted pre-teen. And Cait Sith, he'd probably sound like the evil clown from the Simpsons.

07/06 -- U2
Old 04-13-2014, 08:27 PM

Well, I did it to myself. I was a quarter of the way into my favorite game of all-time (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic) but writing my review of Final Fantasy VIII seemed so incomplete to me that I had to stop playing that and start up a run through FFVIII. I hope I don't regret it.

07/06 -- U2
Old 04-14-2014, 09:25 AM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Well, I did it to myself. I was a quarter of the way into my favorite game of all-time (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic) but writing my review of Final Fantasy VIII seemed so incomplete to me that I had to stop playing that and start up a run through FFVIII. I hope I don't regret it.
Definitely worth it, mang! It is probably one of the most underrated GOOD games of the whole series. I wish I had spent as much time on it as I did with FF7.

Just don't open the jar too early.... Diablo is a BITCH

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 04-14-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
Definitely worth it, mang! It is probably one of the most underrated GOOD games of the whole series. I wish I had spent as much time on it as I did with FF7.

Just don't open the jar too early.... Diablo is a BITCH
I'm really looking forward to figuring out what Squalls problem is. Riona and Quistis were both throwing themselves at him in the first three hours and he just blew them both off. What an idiot.

07/06 -- U2
Old 04-14-2014, 11:37 AM

Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within (July 13th, 2001)

Okay so this is a movie and not a game. But it deserves a mention at least. Final Fantasy was at itís most prolific around the millennium so to capitalize on that they released a motion picture geared towards a North American audience. And it fell flat on its face. This is far and away the most colossal failure in the history of Final Fantasy. It was poorly reviewed, it lost A FORTUNE and itís generally forgotten about and not spoken of by fans. If you look up articles online that go over "biggest box-office bombs" or "movies with lowest returns" this poor movie is usually in the top ten. I think Square Pictures even went under within a few weeks of it's release. I canít remember too much about it other than I know I didnít really like it. It was pretty boring and had a typical confusing Final Fantasy ending. Thing is with a game it unfolds over thirty, forty or fifty hours so it works. This was like trying to condense a full games story into an hour and a half. It just didn't work. It did look beautiful. Even by todayís standards itís pretty incredible. The amount of work that went into this was ridiculous. I've heard they had a huge team of animators that were able to get about two seconds worth of footage done a day. But I have no desire to ever watch this again.

Scene: the theatrical trailer
Rating: 1 out of 5

[EDIT: May 10th, 2014]
Let me start this redo by stating one thing; Iíve been drinking. I decided to give Spirits Within another shot after I watched Advent Children and really, really liked it. I havenít seen it in well over ten years so I thought maybe time would have changed my initial bad reaction to the movie.

Let me start with the good. As I stated before the movie looks incredible. It looks beautiful even by 2014ís standards. Definitely better than any video game still and probably better than any CGI movie. So fifteen years ago it was unheard of. Which may be one of the big problems for the movie; it was too far ahead of its time. In 2014 CGI movies are par for the course and we expect them to look great. In 2001 they were this new, unknown medium and people werenít willing to accept them. Maybe thatís why it failed? People could have been afraid of this movie in 2001 and what it meant for the future. When really, it meant nothing. However, had this come out in 2014 I donít think people wouldíve even noticed it because it was nothing special compared to everything else. So no matter what it was doomed to failure. Another thing I loved was the (small) inclusion of Keith David (aka. Mass Effects Admiral Anderson) in the voice cast. Hearing his voice made me happy; even if this movie came out years before he was immortalized (to me) in Mass Effect.

But on the downside, the voice acting does lose out a bit to me. I prefer when a CGI movie or game uses talents that are primarily voice-actors. When they use actors who have made a name for themselves as screen actors (Donald Sutherland, James Woods, that chick from Frasier, Steve Busemi) it comes across as a simple ďpay-dayĒ to them (even though I know itís just a job to the voice-actors as well). But I find voice actors performances are more genuine. The characters themselves are really nothing to get to hot-and-bothered about. No one really stands out. They're just normal-ish people. Donald Sutherland is good in his role, as is James Woods and (surprisingly) Alec Baldwin.

Iíve shat on the overly Japan-ation of Final Fantasy a lot in this thread, and will continue to do so, but the lack of Japan-ation in this movie was off putting. This was just ďtoo realĒ. I didnít like that it took place on Earth, or had so many of the locations that are in out Earth included. Japanising things and taking it to some strange world makes it seem more likeÖa FantasyÖ to me, and makes it much more enjoyable.

The story isnít that bad really, and itís not as boring as I remember as it being. Thatís probably because I watched it by myself with a stiff drink this time, as opposed to ten years ago when I watched it with my wife who only adds sarcasm and criticism to anything I enjoy and she doesnít understand. But, like with Advent Children and my initial review; the story of a Final Fantasy needs more time than a movie allows to unfold and work itís way out. This could have been a great prequel to a game, or a side story. Had the words ďFinal FantasyĒ been removed for them title it would have just been some movie that no one would have cared about.

Overall, I didn't HATE this movie as much as I remember. It still was a prime example of how far Final Fantasy was moving from its roots. And at a time when the franchise was at it's most profitable I think it was a good reality check to the creators that they were still just a video game franchise, nothing more. It still doesn't deserve praise. It doesn't suck that bad either. It just never really should have happened.

New Rating: 2 out of 5

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-18-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:47 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post

Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within (July 13th, 2001)
I finally saw this movie about 2 years ago. I always wanted to watch it, was so excited when it was streaming for free on Crackle... what a let down
I wasn't expecting much, but it just didn't have much to it and very boring. Advent Children on the other had......

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom