Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Video Games

View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Final Fantasy Game (of the standard numbered series)?
Final Fantasy 0 0%
Final Fantasy II 0 0%
Final Fantasy III 0 0%
Final Fantasy IV 0 0%
Final Fantasy V 0 0%
Final Fantasy VI 3 33.33%
Final Fantasy VII 3 33.33%
Final Fantasy VIII 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy IX 0 0%
Final Fantasy X 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy XI 0 0%
Final Fantasy XII 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy XIII 0 0%
Final Fantasy XIV 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2014, 04:43 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Her death was a great scene but I felt more "emotion" when Yang "died" in Final Fantasy IV.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 04-12-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedX14 View Post
My favorite Final Fantasy of all time. Music was amazing for every scene in the game.
Yeah, it's really hard to decide which Final Fantasy's soundtrack is the best but there are some unforgettable songs in VII. Aside from Who...Are You? my other favorites include:
Mako Reactor
Heart of Anxiety
Shinra Company
Flowers Blooming in the Church
Under the Rotting Pizza
Infiltrating Shinra
On that Day, Five Years Ago
Electric De Chocobo
In Search of the Man in Black
Trail of Blood
Jenova
Mining Town
Valley of the Fallen Star
Lifestream
To Become a Great Warrior
One Chosen by the Planet
Beginning of the Nightmare
Cid's Theme
Forested Temple
Listen to the Cry of the Planet
Aerith's Theme
the Great Northern Cave
Who Am I...?
From the Edge of Despair
Open Your Heart
Judgment Day
One-Winged Angel

Of all the songs I think the Great Northern Cave (which becomes the main world music on disc four) sums up the games tone. It takes the main melody that appeared in a lot of other sequences in the game and made it so bleak, dark, depressive and hopeless.

Another scene that deserves mention is when Red XIII learns of his fathers true fate. Red XIII was never a character in my main party and I never cared too much for him. But the finale to that whole sequence is heartbreaking.
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-12-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:28 PM

Final Fantasy Tactics
Japanese Release Date: June 20th, 1997
North American Release Date: January 28th, 1998
Original Platform: Sony Playstation
Rereleased on: Playstation Portable, iOS

Another one that was in my top twenty-five. Read about it here.

Favorite Moment: when you get Cidolfas Orlandu
Best Song: A True Hero
Coolest Character: Cidolfas Orlandu (aka. Orlandu, TG Cid, Thunder God Cid)
Lamest Character: Olan (served his purpose story-line wise, but as a playable character he was useless)
Average Completion Time: 40 hours
Gameplay Demo: a random battle later in the game
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Final Boss: Altima
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 04-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

C'mon, the next one is the best FF game ever!
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 04-12-2014, 03:16 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedX14 View Post
My favorite Final Fantasy of all time. Music was amazing for every scene in the game.
I should have just said that EVERYTHING about that game is memorable. Shit, even the first boss battle with Guard Scorpion is just classic! Or how about when you get to the Crater for the first time with all of those cloaked figures!? Simply classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Honestly, don't get too excited.
I don't understand all the hatred for it. Sure, not as classic as the others, but I thought the graphics, the world, the gameplay, the story were great! A bit TOO hard at times (was it.... Dollet? Way too hard for the beginning of a game) but I really loved it!

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 04-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Holy shit I missed a lot!
Quote:
Best Song: Tears of Sorrow

I don't suppose that has anything to do with the fact that it sounds like Fade To Black does it?

Quote:
Seriously? The moment in the first 20 minutes?

Last edited by JRA; 04-12-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I don't suppose that has anything to do with the fact that it sounds like Fade To Black does it?

Seriously? The moment in the first 20 minutes?
1. Nope, I played FFIV for the first time in 1991. I never heard Fade to Black until 1996. I've pretty much been the socially awkward, manic depressive person I am today my whole life. And that song is just so fucking sad.

2. That being my favorite moment ties in to when I saw Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy in early 2012. It was a damn good show. But there was a lot I wasn't as familiar or fond of. But when they played that song and showed that video on the screen I was flooded with emotion and great memories.
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-12-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:21 PM

Final Fantasy VIII
Japanese Release Date: February 11th, 1999
North American Release Date: September 9th, 1999
Original Platform: Sony Playstation

I really wish I had more of a memory of this game. I haven’t played it in close to twelve years and even at that I only ever played it once. I can remember that Quistas is stunning in the intro movie. I remember the graphics were a lot better than VII. The Junction system for magic really wasn’t that bad. And I really liked the Mooba characters and their tragic existence. I don’t remember Squall being as annoying as people make him out to be. I don’t remember the story being that bad. I really don’t remember hating it at all but for whatever reason I just never played it again. I think this is one of the if not the most hated Final Fantasy. I just can't remember why. This game had to follow up the most loved Final Fantasy ever so I’d imagine peoples vision was just clouded. Maybe because it did take the "fantasy" out of Final Fantasy and made it too realistic. But there was more of the "classic" series in this game than there was a few other titles. I just really need to play this game again some day. Maybe in a year I'll have and I'll update this thread.

I will give this game credit for one thing. The one time I played it was in early 2001. I had a lengthy run of unemployment that year from February to August. I started playing that game in (probably) late-April right when I was starting to hit rock-bottom. So FFVIII helped me get through what was probably one of the worst times of my life.

Favorite Moment: the battle at Balamb Garden
Best Song: the Spy
Favorite Characters: Moombas
Gameplay Demo: the Deep Sea Research Station
Rating: 3(?) out of 5

[EDIT: June 2nd , 2014]
When I did this thread initially I found myself wanting to play a lot of these games I hadn't played in years. I remembered Final Fantasy VIII the least so I decided it deserved another shot. Like I said at first, I've heard nothing but bad press for this game since I played it near the beginning of 2001 but I didn't remember it being that bad. But I was wrong; it's really not that great.

The story plays out like a sort of teen soap opera. A bunch of kids at school, no parents no BORING OLD PEOPLE. Their clothes, the way they move, their motions all scream JAPANESE TREEN DRAMA. The actual cast of characters isn't too bad. Squall has gotten a lot if shit over the years but unlike a lot of the leads in a Final Fantasy I really liked him. He's really a lot like like...me. Not too friendly, not too talkative, focused on the task at hand. He does become a bit of a puss towards the end and it is kind of annoying that most of his dialogue is the thoughts in his head. But most times he’s thinking the same things I’m thinking while playing a Final Fantasy ("who cares”, “do it yourself”, “why me”, etc). The rest of the cast are rather inoffensive for the most part. Zell does come in like Poochie from the Simpsons but he’s a background character after that. And there are a lot of times you’d want to slap Selphie in the side of the head. But aside from a few times most of the party (aside from Squall and Riona) are just supporting characters. I think voice acting would have changed my hatred for a few characters (Zell, Selphie) but there is no voice action, so that saves game in that department. Seifer isn’t a bad antagonist. Some of the things he says to the other characters (Zell specifically) at the beginning of the game are actually really funny. And it’s been said before in many other places; but the parts with Laguna and his gang are so much better than the parts with the main cast. A full game with him would’ve been a lot better. But overall there was just too much story in this game. Too many breaks. Or let me be specific; too much talking. The story itself was paced okay but there was just so much dialogue to go through to get anywhere. By time it got to wherever it was going I just didn’t care anymore. There were some nice scenes (the space scene, the assassination of Edea,the flashbacks with the Moombas) but they just dragged on for so damn long. And even the romantic plot is so goddamn awkward. They really need to stop hiring Japanese virgins to write this stuff.

Graphically the game looks better than Final Fantasy VII but that's not saying much. I don't really mind the more realistic look of the characters since that was the way the series was going anyway. And I'm sure that if they were able to have such realistic characters on the NES or SNES they would have. But I think they still were pushing a little too hard for the system and the hardware they had. They can pull of realistic characters today on the PS3 but back then they still looked hocky. The characters look great in FMVs (like Quistis in the beginning, me-ow) but then when you get in game they’re still really rough looking. Just not as bad as Final Fantasy VII.

The combat in the game though is a real drag. The whole DRAW thing for magic isn’t a bad idea really, and Junctioning magic to your stats to improve your characters isn’t bad either. But I focused on DEFENSE on my playthrough and it left my characters pretty uneven and physically weak. Attacking enemies was almost pointless so I was left with using Guardian Forces to get any decent damage in on enemies. And that is a pain in the ass. Not only do you have to watch those one minute plus long animations over and over and over (they’re cool once…that’s it) but to get any decent damage out of THEM you have to tap the square button at random intervals. After a few hours of that battles became a chore. And the rest of the game suffered because of it. Everything became a chore and a drag. Now maybe that was just because I didn’t get too in to customizing my characters. You can go through everyone with a fine-toothed comb and do what you will. But when there’s an AUTO function I’m always inclined to use it. Maybe that was my downfall? And an odd thing they did this with this game was making characters level after 1000EXP for every level. So if you were getting battles early on in the game that were giving you even three hundred experience points you could abuse the Junctioning system and those low EXP numbers to grind your characters to some high levels pretty early in the game.

So a lot about this game really sucks but what really kills this game is simple; it had to follow the most loved and greatest Final Fantasy ever. There was no way to follow Final Fantasy VII. Squares options after Final Fantasy VII were to stop making games and quit at the top (yeah right) or be bound to disappoint. Like a band following a career best album or a sports team starting the season after winning the championship. Expectations were so damn high for Final Fantasy VIII that there was no way they could be met. I just found the game boring. There was too much damn talking (or thinking for Squall) too much staying in the same place and too much DRAMA. And the modernizing of the game was pretty off-putting. I didn’t like that there were cars driving around, or people on computers that didn’t look “out of this world” (the computers and their screens look like what computers looked like in 1999). I think I even remember characters pulling out cell-phones a few times but I may be wrong. Honestly, I’m glad this game didn’t get made today (2014) or I’d imagine that real-life social media would’ve played into it; like gaining experience by “liking” shit on facebook or tweeting out battle commands. Even the fashion of a lot of the people is exactly what we wear today (school uniforms, sweaters, simple dresses). And how did that Robin Williams look-alike bag that missle Edea?

Between the all around boringness of the game and the god-awful combat I got to the beginning of Disc 4 and just said, “fuck this”. It's very rare that I don't finish a game but I wasn’t having fun, I didn’t really care what happened and I wanted it to be done so I could move on. It peaks early with the assassination on Edea on Disc One and then it’s downhill from there. But it’s still worth playing to say you did. I just expect to forget it again within another few years. The thing is, I kinda want to.

Favorite Moment: the attempted assassination of Edea is pretty tense
Best Song: Trust Me
Favorite Characters: Moombas
Lamest Character: Zell
Completion Time: around 40 hours
Gameplay Demo: the Centra Ruins, about three quarters of the way through the game
Rating: 2 out of 5

Final Boss: Ultimecia
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 06-02-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:57 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I remember going to my best friend's house growing up and he had FF8 for PS1 and I would sit and watch him play for hours and I loved it. I even bought the strategy guide for it (I still have it) even though I never owned a PS1 until way after the fact. I actually bought a physical copy of FF8 on PC but it didn't run on my family's computer at the time, but when we upgraded I installed it and the first disc was great, but the other discs were scratched so I couldn't play. I'd kill for a Steam/3DS port/remake.
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 04-13-2014, 07:32 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
I remember going to my best friend's house growing up and he had FF8 for PS1 and I would sit and watch him play for hours and I loved it. I even bought the strategy guide for it (I still have it) even though I never owned a PS1 until way after the fact. I actually bought a physical copy of FF8 on PC but it didn't run on my family's computer at the time, but when we upgraded I installed it and the first disc was great, but the other discs were scratched so I couldn't play. I'd kill for a Steam/3DS port/remake.
It's on Steam - 12.99