Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Video Games

View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Final Fantasy Game (of the standard numbered series)?
Final Fantasy 0 0%
Final Fantasy II 0 0%
Final Fantasy III 0 0%
Final Fantasy IV 0 0%
Final Fantasy V 0 0%
Final Fantasy VI 2 25.00%
Final Fantasy VII 3 37.50%
Final Fantasy VIII 1 12.50%
Final Fantasy IX 0 0%
Final Fantasy X 1 12.50%
Final Fantasy XI 0 0%
Final Fantasy XII 1 12.50%
Final Fantasy XIII 0 0%
Final Fantasy XIV 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2014, 09:20 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

So I stopped playing Final Fantasy VIII for two reasons last weekend: I really wasn't enjoying it anymore and I really wanted to start playing Lightning Returns. After playing Lightning Returns for about three and a half hours last night I'm wondering if I made a HUGE mistake. The game looks good, and the cities I was in (yes, this game has CITIES) were really, really good. But the whole game is a battle against a clock (a doomsday clock). So I'm really worried how that will affect me later on. I LIKE taking three hours to walk around, grind, explore cities, do nothing. But am I going to get to the end of the clock and have the game tell me "game over, start again"? I know you can get more time on the clock by doing side-quests but I'm wondering how tedious and frustrating this could get. Like, am I going to be ready to fight a boss and find out I only have ten minutes left until the end of the world? So am I going to have to go walk some chocobos across the street to get more time? That won't kill the momentum at all.

The game had some other issues that I'll get into more when I do my full review. But I turned it off after three and a half hours last night because I was bored and confused.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 06-09-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:38 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

I hate games that have an overall time limit, even ones that give you the ability to go back/forward in time... it just takes the interest out of the game and its story and turns it more into a "OMG I NEED TO BEAT THIS AS FAST AS FUCKING POSSIBLE!!!" I like doing games at my own pace, do some exploring, just mess around, but when you put a clock in all of that goes away (I'm looking at you, Majora's Mask). Everyone loved that game, but the time just killed it for me. I am VERY guilty in Zelda games when it comes to just exploring and running around.... same goes with Dead Rising. Such a great game, great idea, but the clock

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 06-22-2014, 06:36 PM

Lightning Returns is one of the worst games I've ever played. That is all.

Here's my updated entry.

Thank god I only stopped playing VIII for a few weeks and it's still fresh in my head. I'm going back to finish that up.

FUCK LIGHTNING.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 06-23-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Lightning Returns is one of the worst games I've ever played. That is all.

Here's my updated entry.

Thank god I only stopped playing VIII for a few weeks and it's still fresh in my head. I'm going back to finish that up.

FUCK LIGHTNING.
Dang, that sounds worse than I imagined it being
As I've posted elsewhere, I HATE time limit games, levels with time limits, etc etc etc. They take out any emotion or story telling and just make you focus on making sure you get from point A to point B before its too late. Bummer

I turned FF7 back on, I was only grinding levels and gaining EXP outside of the Gold Saucer area (as its labeled on the map), and even that was/sounds more fun than dealing with a time limit and getting places before its too late.

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 06-23-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
Dang, that sounds worse than I imagined it being
As I've posted elsewhere, I HATE time limit games, levels with time limits, etc etc etc. They take out any emotion or story telling and just make you focus on making sure you get from point A to point B before its too late. Bummer

I turned FF7 back on, I was only grinding levels and gaining EXP outside of the Gold Saucer area (as its labeled on the map), and even that was/sounds more fun than dealing with a time limit and getting places before its too late.
I may give it another shot in a few months. There was an "easy" option that heals Lightning to full after every battle and doesn't give you a penalty for running. I hate playing on easy but it think there was a lot more to that game than I saw. But not now.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 06-23-2014, 10:59 AM

Wasn't FFXIII like that? Where after every battle all of your magic and HP was filled up?

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 06-23-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Wasn't FFXIII like that? Where after every battle all of your magic and HP was filled up?
Yeah, and XIII-2. Some criticized it as a dumb mechanic. I thought it was good since I usually full heal characters after a battle anyway. But in Lightning Returns I didn't have a cure spell, I was only allowed six items (that includes potions and debuffing items and Phoenix downs) and the fighting is just as insane and you need to heal constantly. I had battles where I used all my potions. Like I said, the combat was bad.

And you didn't have magic points in XIII or XIII-2, which I again think was a tired mechanic anyway.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 06-23-2014, 02:29 PM

Its been quite a few years since I last touched XIII. I really want to go back and play it, but can't bring myself to actually do it . I was one of the few that enjoyed it very much, even if it felt messy and overly linear.

Do you get an actual party in XIII-3, or is it just Lightning?

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 06-23-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Its been quite a few years since I last touched XIII. I really want to go back and play it, but can't bring myself to actually do it . I was one of the few that enjoyed it very much, even if it felt messy and overly linear.

Do you get an actual party in XIII-3, or is it just Lightning?
It's just Lightning. You can switch between three outfits in battle that have four different actions each (attack, block, magic, etc). The problem I was having was the combat was so fast and my status bar wasn't filling up very fast. So there was a lot of downtime where I was vulnerable. And you had to block enemies attacks with one of your four actions. That was stupid.

Playing it made me want to play XIII. It was a great game. The cutscenes, story and characters killed it.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 07-02-2014, 08:06 AM

Dear Diary,

I finished Final Fantasy VIII last night. The ending was pretty good but I'm glad to put that game behind me. With Lightning Returns..."on hold"...I've decided to necro another relic and play through Final Fantasy X.

The last time I played that game was in summer of 2006, so it's been quite a while. The first things that popped at me last night: I had forgotten how terrible the NPC characters look. They just stand there like wooden statues with their arms right at their sides. Then all of a sudden they'll move or flinch and it looks even more awkward. The face renders are pretty bad too, especially Yuna.

And a biggie: Tidus is a punk! I don't like him, his voice, his face, his actions. "What are ya gonna do? Cry?", "go ahead, cry", "why don't you just cry?". I remember those lines getting really old during the game. His dad was a prick.

But the combat was really good and The music is great already. And the story is lighter than VIII so it's a nice change of pace. I know the game gets better so I'm looking forward to playing it again.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 07-02-2014 at 08:08 AM.