Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014
System Of A Down -- Inglewood, CA -- December 13th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Montreal, Quebec -- December 13th, 2014
Nonpoint -- Flint, MI -- December 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Video Games

View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Final Fantasy Game (of the standard numbered series)?
Final Fantasy 0 0%
Final Fantasy II 0 0%
Final Fantasy III 0 0%
Final Fantasy IV 0 0%
Final Fantasy V 0 0%
Final Fantasy VI 3 33.33%
Final Fantasy VII 3 33.33%
Final Fantasy VIII 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy IX 0 0%
Final Fantasy X 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy XI 0 0%
Final Fantasy XII 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy XIII 0 0%
Final Fantasy XIV 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2014, 10:38 AM
with his arms outstretched

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
It's good to know that XIII had something going for it!

I don't remember much of VIII's soundtrack, but I listened to it (well, watched a few reviews/videos) and totally remember loving the music it... nothing like VII at all, but still pretty cool
I'm just starting disc 2 of VIII and I've found the soundtrack not very good at all. There's been a couple good songs. But a lot less than your average Final Fantasy. I'm hoping something changes.

I've been enjoying playing it but it is a huge departure for the series. I'd say it's the least "Final Fantasy" of any game in the series, even XIII. I don't mind Squall at all. In fact, I kind of like him. Zell on the other hand reminds me of Pootchie.

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-30-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:45 PM

Best City/Town/Castle
Nominees: Rabanastre (Final Fantasy XII), Oerba (Final Fantasy XIII), South Figaro (Final Fantasy VI), Kaipo (Final Fantasy IV), Onrac (Final Fantasy)

Oerba; again that city comes at the perfect time in Final Fantasy XIII. Everything is right with that town…except that everything is fucked. South Figaro just has this feeling to me of what a town in a Final Fantasy should be like. There are a lot of great towns in Final Fantasy VI but it was the best of the best. I don’t know why I like Kaipo so much…I just do. And I’ve always had a soft spot for water towns (despite the fact that I’m deathly afraid of water) and Onrac was a really great water town despite its small size.

There are a lot of other great towns in the series but Rabanastre encompasses everything I think a city in a Final Fantasy game should have. It’s huge, bustling with people, with buildings as high as the eye can see. And being in a newer game you get a real idea of the scope and shear size of the city. There’s a lot more to the city than you can even explore in the game but what you do get to see is breathtaking.

07/06 -- U2
Old 04-30-2014, 11:56 PM

Best Esper (Besper?)
Nominees: Anima (Final Fantasy X), Ark (Final Fantasy IX), Knights of the Round (Final Fantasy VII), Shiva (multiple Final Fantasies), Zalera ((Final Fantasy XII)

Espers, Summons, Guardian Forces, whatever they’re called. In a lot of games they’re pretty useless. But a lot of work goes in to them (and in to their animations for Final Fantasies VII thru X) so they deserve a special mention. Usually they’re some sort of creature, or hybrid of multiple creatures or mutation of a creature. So Ark gets a nod for being very different. It’s basically just an airship. But a very powerful airship that fucks shit up. Knights of the Round is one of the most famous of all the Espers and wins for being one of the first “very powerful giving damage over 9999” Espers. But it also loses for being the catalyst in the whole “summons that took for goddamn ever to do their thing”. Shiva is so fucking hot. There, I said it. I have a thing for blue chicks (thank you Mass Effect) and they never fail to make her hot, even in the pixilated days of the PSone summons. And Zalera is so grimy and dirty…plus he has a hot chick with him. Final Fantasy XII wins for having the greatest number of awesome Espers but he wins Final Fantasy XII.

Anima wins for just encompassing everything that I love. It’s super metal, brOOTal, disgusting, tortured…and really fucking powerful. The design alone is fucking ridiculous. How can such a creature be confined by mere chains? And what monstrosity was powerful enough to confine it?

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-01-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:48 AM

Most “Confused” Character
Nominees: Gogo (Final Fantasy VI), Kuja (Final Fantasy IX), Seymour (Final Fantasy X), Squall (Final Fantasy VII), Vaan (Final Fantasy XII)

Gogo was pretty useless and no one knew what the hell his/her deal was. Even the game didn’t know. “Shrouded in odd clothing... is this a man...? ...a woman...? ...or should we ask...?” Seymour wasn’t as confused as he was confusing. Confusing as it, “this is the bad guy? How am I supposed to be afraid of him?” Squall confuses me to because he has two girls just throwing themselves at him and he can’t seem to be bothered. It’s a good thing Final Fantasy VIII wasn’t an open-ended RPG like Mass Effect, because Commander Sheppard would have been all over Quistis. Vaan is confused because he doesn’t even know why he’s there. It’s pretty bad that the lead in the game is reduced to a background character for most of the game and when he does speak its often with his foot in his mouth.

Kuja wins. I just have to post a picture of him and I think you can see why.

07/06 -- U2
Old 05-01-2014, 11:57 AM

Most Useless Character
Nominees: Cid (Final Fantasy IV), Half the Cast of Final Fantasy VI, Quina (Final Fantasy IX), Red XIII (Final Fantasy VII), Wakka (Final Fantasy X)

Cid’s not as powerful as Cecil, he can’t use any magic and his only skill is Scan, a spell that any mage can learn for less than 5MP. The skill was called “Peep” in the SNES version of the game and given his facial expressions whenever he used it I think “peeping” was something he did quite often (if you catch my drift). Quina was just a sexless Blue Mage that liked to eat frogs. Kinda hard to take serious or want to have in your party. Red XIII just never seemed to have too much purpose in your party aside from having a dog by your side. And Wakka was crap.

It’s too bad that half the cast in one of the best games in the series wins but it’s the sad truth. Even in the World of Balance Gau, Strago, Relm and Mog are just place-fillers. Then in the World of Ruin everyone really has a bit of a purpose when you’re trying to find them. But after that they're all interchangeable. That was my one problem with Final Fantasy VI. Too many characters. Six characters (the Final Fantasy average) doesn’t seem like much some times but fourteen is just way too damn many.

07/06 -- U2
Old 05-01-2014, 11:29 PM

Best Character
Nominees: Kain (Final Fantasy IV), Orlandeau (Final Fantasy Tactics), Auron (Final Fantasy X), Reddas (Final Fantasy XII), Noel (Final Fantasy XIII-2)

I always loved Kain because I’ve always loved the “conflicted anti-hero” type. Orlando was great because he didn’t just level the playing field; he tipped the scales in your favor BIG TIME. Auron was just fucking awesome. He reminds me of me playing Final Fantasy X. He’s there because he had to be. He didn’t want to be but things wouldn’t have worked out if he hadn’t been. Noel was just another piece of Final Fantasy XIII-2 that made it so much better than Final Fantasy XIII.

"A Judge Magister there was… Two years past, he took the Midlight Shard and used it not knowing what he did…and Nabudis was blown away. Cid ordered this of him to learn the Nethicite’s true power. That man swore never to let such terrible power be used again. He forsook his Judicer's plate, and his name."

Reddas (a supporting character nonetheless) was so awesome in the small part he played in Final Fantasy XII. The way he talked was so cool (I have a soft spot for Phil LaMarr) and his heroic fate came at a point where the game was getting a little boring and confusing. Reddas, I tip my cup intwist your direction. Your sacrifice not be vain your memory forever. Dost I even be making sense, I not know. Betwist I do know, Reddas...you rule.

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-03-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:41 PM

Worst Character
Nominees: Edward (Final Fantasy IV), Umaro (Final Fantasy VI), Cait Sith (Final Fantasy VII), Rikku (Final Fantasy X), Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII)

Edward is useless but he’s almost a supporting character so I feel more sorry for the putz than anything. He’s proof positive how useless the Bard class is though. Umaro just serves no purpose what so ever. He’s a hidden character so you can avoid even getting him and it effects the game in no way. Cait Sith, yeah he sucks. But the Scottish accent they gave him in Advent Children was one of the most inadvertently hilarious things I've heard in my life. Vanille is annoying as hell but she at least has a purpose. You just had to sit through forty hours of her before you realized it.

So the winner is Rikku, who vomits her way in to the game halfway through and is like dragging your little sister along for the ride. She moves like a gorilla with down syndrome. She’s like twelve so you can’t find her attractive. She can make the most somber moment retarded just by opening her mouth. She’s a thief so that can be useful. But if I had the choice between stealing a healing potion and not listening to her I think I’ll go with the latter. The nicest thing I can say about her is that for as annoying she was in Final Fantasy X she was even worse in Final Fantasy X-2.

07/06 -- U2
Old 05-02-2014, 12:07 PM

Second Best Character
Nominees: Balthier (Final Fantasy XII), Chocolina (Final Fantasy XIII-2), Cloud (Final Fantasy VII), Fang (Final Fantasy XIII), Fran (Final Fantasy XII)

To play second fiddle. I can’t say I’ve ever had to because I’m the best at everything I do. But someone always has to come in second. For as much shit as I may have given Final Fantasy and it’s characters in this thread the amount of good characters certainly outweighs the bad. I hate Chocobos but there’s something about Final Fantasy XIII-2’s Chocolina that’s just…mmmm. Cloud has the unfortunate task of being in the game as Sephiroth. And since he’s just a clone he can’t be the best. Fang was the one ray of hope in Final Fantasy XIII, too bad she actually comes in to the game very late. Fran could have won, but so could a lot of other characters in Final Fantasy XII.

The award goes to Balthier. He had such great swagger, great fashion sense and knew what to say and when to say it. Plus, he hangs out with Fran; who has the nicest ass in the Final Fantasy universe and is a completely cryptic psychopath. His voice actor has been in a lot of other games but whenever I hear it I automatically think BALTHIER and love that character too.

07/06 -- U2
Old 05-02-2014, 12:38 PM

Best Female Character
Nominees: Beatrix (Final Fantasy IX), Freya (Final Fantasy IX), Fran (Final Fantasy XII), Terra (Final Fantasy VI), Serah (Final Fantasy XIII-2)

Some people reading this may accuse me of being a sexist pig because I always hate on characters that are female. Well it’s not my fault that they design those characters with the “little sister” mold. So to prove that I do like some of the female characters as more than just T&A here’s this award.
Beatrix was a really strong character in a very strong cast. I don’t remember too much about her but I remember her enough to know that she shouldn’t be fucked with. Freya was a nice change for a female character to NOT be T&A and instead a character with a tragic past. Fran…yeah she’s hot. But don’t fuck with a chick just because she has rabbit ears. Bitch will fuck your ass up. And Terra was great for being a strong lead. Too bad her story (much like all of Final Fantasy VI) kind of fell apart in the second half of the game.

Serah wins just on account of being such a huge surprise. In Final Fantasy XIII she was just there in flashbacks. Plus she was tied to that moron Snow. So when Final Fantasy XIII-2 was announced and she was announced as the lead it was a little worrying. Who’d know that she’d end up being a great character that was actually fun to be around? The complete opposite of her wooden sister.

If I were to bang a guy from the Final Fantasy universe it would probably be Final Fantasy X’s Kimahri. I think he’d be a very gentle lover.

07/06 -- U2
Old 05-02-2014, 12:43 PM

Best Game
Nominees: Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy XII

The rankings and my top twenty-five games thread really give this one away. So I’ll do away with any pomp and “suspense”: Final Fantasy XII is the best game in the series.

07/06 -- U2