Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Video Games

View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Final Fantasy Game (of the standard numbered series)?
Final Fantasy 0 0%
Final Fantasy II 0 0%
Final Fantasy III 0 0%
Final Fantasy IV 0 0%
Final Fantasy V 0 0%
Final Fantasy VI 2 25.00%
Final Fantasy VII 3 37.50%
Final Fantasy VIII 1 12.50%
Final Fantasy IX 0 0%
Final Fantasy X 1 12.50%
Final Fantasy XI 0 0%
Final Fantasy XII 1 12.50%
Final Fantasy XIII 0 0%
Final Fantasy XIV 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Best Villain
Nominees: Garland (Final Fantasy), Golbez (Final Fantasy IV), Kefka (Final Fantasy VI), Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII), Sin (Final Fantasy X)

All these guys were badass. Garland seemed like a putz at first but once you got into the game you realized that he may have been a pawn, but he was a very dangerous pawn. Golbez has a special place in my heart. The dick always showed up just when you thought you could take a breath and fucked everything up. Sephiroth, what more can be said about Sephiroth? This image tells it all. And Sin was just an unstoppable, silent beast that wrought destruction wherever it went. And what a cool name?

But Kefka will always be my favorite villain. He’s maniacal (not unlike Batman’s Joker), cruel, a bit of a dork. But above all he does one thing that no other Final Fantasy villain was able to do: he actually destroyed the world. Even though everything falls apart in the Dark World of Final Fantasy VI and his role is greatly reduced he stands above the world on a pile of destruction as the one villain who accomplished what he set out to do.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-28-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:14 AM

Worst Villain
Nominees: Zemus (Final Fantasy IV), Gilgamesh (multiple Final Fantasies), Seymour (Final Fantasy X), Necron (Final Fantasy IX), Barthandelus (Final Fantasy XIII)

All these villains are bad enough but have certain something’s holding them back from attaining greatness. Zemus just shows up at the end of the game unexplained (a scenario all too familiar in Final Fantasy games) and has zero back-story. The same could be said for Necron but he seems to be a lot more badass. Gilgamesh, I think, is supposed to be a joke. So maybe he shouldn’t be nominated. But it’s fitting for the character that he is to be nominated. And Barthandelus is the rock that blocks you path and you never really know why.

Seymour wins for not only being a complete putz and a pawn but for have a strange character render where he always looked to me to have a huge beer gut. And a voice befitting Edward.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-28-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:52 AM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

I forgot how often GOlbez made me rage in FFIV

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 04-29-2014, 08:47 AM

Best Moment
Nominees: Final Fantasy IV’s ending, Sephiroth in flames (Final Fantasy VII), aftermath of the battle with Sin (Final Fantasy X), arriving in Oerba (Final Fantasy XIII), Final Fantasy VI’s intro

Final Fantasy is full of great moments. Some people will say that this whole category could be moments from Final Fantasy VII alone. But that’s just not fair. Final Fantasy IV’s ending was a perfect ending for a game. Everyone (except Kain) had great closure to their stories and it left me feeling happy…and empty because my favorite game at the time was over. The aftermath of the battle with Sin was great just because you realize just how powerful that creature was. Usually you got out of battles pretty beaten up, but alive. Not that battle. It fucked everything up. Arriving in Oerba was a very emotional moment in Final Fantasy XIII. It looked like it was once a beautiful place now overrun with sadness. The fact that it’s music plays during battles was even more special. And people wonder how I can consider the intro to Final Fantasy VI as my favorite moment when there’s so much greatness to follow. I just loved it because it was the start of something special.

But Sephiroth in flames during his destruction of Nibelheim was just so iconic and awesome that there’s no way it can’t win this category. It’s at that moment that you realize just how bad that man is. And that is the moment Final Fantasy VII goes from “pretty good” to “goddamn awesome”.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-29-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:53 AM

Worst Moment
Nominees: The intro to X-2, The laugh scene in X, The Marsh Cave difficulty spike (Final Fantasy), struggling to get to the next area in Final Fantasy II and realizing how weak you still are, still getting your ass kicked in Final Fantasy XII no matter how strong you are

This is a bit of a throwaway category. There really only needed to be two nominees. The March Cave difficulty spike is just more frustrating than anything. The same can be said about just constantly getting you ass kicked in Final Fantasy II. And it’s hard to say anything bad about Final Fantasy XII but the fact that I was in level 99 on my last playthrough and STILL had a hard time with some enemies was just lame. The real nominees: the intro to Final Fantasy X-2 is nauseating. I remember starting that game up and not expecting too much. But I wasn’t expecting…THAT. How the hell did Yuna go from being a Summoner with the weight of saving the world on her shoulders to a J-Pop idol? It was only downhill from there.

But even worse that infamous scene in Final Fantasy X. I’ve had people tell me it’s supposed to be awkward to symbolize two people with so much on their plates who just need to let it all out when it’s become too much. Whatever. I see it as after playing through a somewhat unenjoyable game for twenty or thirty hours THAT happens. You’re left looking at the screen in awe. Not because it’s awesome. Because you can’t fucking believe what you’re watching. There’s a reason that scene gets made fun of so much. It’s that bad.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-29-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:16 AM

Come on now, we all know the best moment was when you had to dress Cloud up as a woman in Wall Market (?) and break into that dudes mansion!

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 04-29-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
Come on now, we all know the best moment was when you had to dress Cloud up as a woman in Wall Market (?) and break into that dudes mansion!

I guess VII wasn't all that great.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 04-29-2014, 10:31 PM

Best Song
Nominees: Tears of Sorrow (Final Fantasy IV), Tina (Final Fantasy VI), Who...Are You? (Final Fantasy VII), The Promised Land (Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children), Dust to Dust (Final Fantasy XIII)

To pick out just five songs from the vast library of Final Fantasy was a hard task. To pick out five songs FROM JUST ONE GAME is really hard. But I did it. The song Tina goes hand-in-hand with the intro from the Final Fantasy VI. When they played that song at the Distant World show I was at two years ago is when it really hit me how great that song is. Who…Are You? is just a creepy classic. Not the first song people pick from Final Fantasy VII but it’s been my favorite for years. The Promised Land is a song I’m rather new with but it’s just great. And Dust to Dust is a classic for the same reason as Tina. When it happens is such a beautiful moment.

Even at the age of eleven I was the morbid, depressed, anti-social fun-bag I am today. I’ve always been up for a good sad song. My favorite band is Godspeed You! Black Emperor and the reason I love them is when I feel sad they make me feel worse. So Tears of Sorrow, with it’s somber, plodding pace and depressing minor key was the clear-cut winner of this category twenty years before I even did this thread.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-29-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:37 PM

Best Soundtrack
Nominees: Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2

Now this…this is a tough one. One of the first things that drew me to Final Fantasy was the music. And even after the game is over I still have those easily at my disposal (since I can’t drive and play video games). And there are even games (as exemplified by my nominees) in the series that are bad but made memorable by a great soundtrack. The whole series could have been nominated in this category but there can only be five. Final Fantasy VII’s is very creepy and dark, which fits perfectly with the mood of the game. Final Fantasy X’s has a lot of great tracks and makes me remember a forgettable game. Final Fantasy XII's sounds to me what they were trying to do with the early NES titles. Only now they have the means to be able to do it. And Final Fantasy XIII-2’s was very different from most of the other soundtracks but was fun.

The biggest surprise: Final Fantasy XIII actually wins a POSITIVE award. Yeah, the soundtrack was beautiful. Epic when it needed to be epic, madjestical when it needed to be madjestical. That game was flawed in so many ways but the soundtrack was a 5 out of 5.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 04-30-2014, 09:04 AM

It's good to know that XIII had something going for it!

I don't remember much of VIII's soundtrack, but I listened to it (well, watched a few reviews/videos) and totally remember loving the music it... nothing like VII at all, but still pretty cool

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com