Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Video Games

View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Final Fantasy Game (of the standard numbered series)?
Final Fantasy 0 0%
Final Fantasy II 0 0%
Final Fantasy III 0 0%
Final Fantasy IV 0 0%
Final Fantasy V 0 0%
Final Fantasy VI 3 33.33%
Final Fantasy VII 3 33.33%
Final Fantasy VIII 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy IX 0 0%
Final Fantasy X 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy XI 0 0%
Final Fantasy XII 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy XIII 0 0%
Final Fantasy XIV 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2014, 04:11 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
No, it was actually really good. The key with Final Fantasy now for me is to go in with very low expectations. It did that with XIII-2 and I think that helped me enjoy it more. But I went in to XIII with very high expectations and got burned.

I'm actually thinking about giving Spirits Within another shot. But only if my brother has it or I can find some other way to watch it for free (even though the DVD is probably five dollars at Wal-Mart).
Crackle movie app on Xbox Live might have Spirits Within still, that's where I saw it.

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 04-26-2014, 05:00 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

I have a soft spot for Spirits Within.

Great thread, btw. I'm not able to be as active as I'd like right now but rest assured I'll be giving my two cents on everything (and continuing my movie thread) when I have more time and less on my mind!
Old 04-26-2014, 05:17 PM
with his arms outstretched

Final Fantasy All the Bravest
Release Date: January 17th, 2013
Original Platform: iOS

This is just a cheesy iOS game that requires zero strategy and skill. But for a time-waster and a free download you can’t go wrong. Just don’t get suckered into buying any extras. They’re random; so the chances of you getting that one character you want are one in thirty-two. Even it it’s a dollar that’s not a risk I’d want to take. And they’re useless. You can very easily beat this game with what you get for free. This game did pay tribute to the early days of the series in very, very small doses. Just by using enemies and locations. It went up to around VI, I believe. Although paid content went as far as XIII...because, you know...Lightning. Since I’ll never play those Dissidia games this was the nicest homage to the series I've seen.

Coolest Character Class: the Onion Knight
Lamest Character Class: the Bard
Gameplay Demo: first bit of the game
Rating: 2 out of 5

Final Boss: Neo Exdeath

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2
Old 04-26-2014, 05:30 PM

Final Fantasy Tactics S
Japanese Release Date: May 28th, 2013
Original Platform: iOS

I donít even know what this is. Iíd never heard about it until I started doing research for this thread. Since it's a Japan-only release I strongly doubt I'll ever play it.

Gameplay Demo: all I could find in the alloted fifteen seconds I gave this game was the Japanese trailer.

Final Boss: I don't think there is one, so here's a picture of some guy dressed like Sailor Moon instead

07/06 -- U2
Old 04-26-2014, 05:46 PM

Final Fantasy XIV: a Realm Reborn
Worldwide Release Date: August 27th, 2013
Original Platform: Microsoft Windows
Rereleased on: Sony Playstation 4

I heard the first incarnation of this game was terrible so they had to reboot it a few years later. That was good unless you had a character from the first version, which you lost or something. Sounds bad to me. Another reason not to play MMORPGS. It does look to be more "Final Fantasy" than XIII was and XV will be but again; I can't pay for a game then pay to PLAY the game.

Gameplay Demo: ...it does look good though

Final Boss (storyline): Lahabrea

07/06 -- U2
Old 04-26-2014, 05:54 PM

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Japanese Release Date: November 21st, 2013
North American Release Date: February 11th, 2014
Original Platforms: Sony Playstation 3, Xbox 360

The finale to the Lightning Saga, or the Fabulous Crystals Nova Saga, or whatever the fuck this debacle is called. Thank fucking god we can (hopefully) put Final Fantasy XIII behind us and move on to the gayer pastures of XV. I was eagerly anticipating this game a year before it came out...then it came out and I forgot. Then I realized that I really just didnít care. I donít care how Lightningsí story ends because I didnít like her. I donít care if Vanille and Fang get rescued from crystal status because I hated Vanille and Fang wears a sports-bra (seriously?). I do want to know what the hell happens with Serah but anything involving her involves that bozo Snow and I could give a flying fuck about that guy (his character design in this game is somehow even more ridiculous than before, mixing the Turks from VII with those three Sephiroth Remenants from Advent Children with (probably) his terrible dialogue). I do want to see how Noels story plays out but thatís not enough for me to run out and buy this. I know Iíll play this but Iím at a point with this series where I can wait for it on a bargain bin, a used shelf or get it as a gift. Which I am next month. Plus this game has dresses, much like X-2. So Lightning and dresses. Lot's for me to look forward too.

Gameplay Demo: E3 Demo

[EDIT: June 22nd, 2014]

This game blows.

I tried to like this game and this game had the potential for me to like it. But it didnít want me to like it.

The biggest problem was something Iíve gone on about hating a lot in this thread: the whole game is a battle against a clock. Battles against the clock are bad because I hate being rushed. But when the whole game is a battle against the clock...dear god. The clock runs out: game over. The story is set up that the world is ending in five days and Lightning has to save it. You can extend the clock by doing quests for NPCís but eventually I want to play some real game. You still had your eye on the clock and were sweating and rushing the whole time. I donít like rushing during a Final Fantasy game. Thereís the option of restating the game with all your items and powers if the clock runs out but who wants to keep playing the same scenarios over and over and over? It was a very broken mechanic that just dragged the whole game down with it.

The combat was fucking brutal. It was as lightning fast and chaotic as XIII and XIII-2 except this time it expected you to actually have strategy and keep your eye on everything during those lightning fast fights. And since the game was open-ended you ended up in a lot of scenarios where Lightning was pathetically weak (because you donít gain levels by fighting, you gain them by doing the NPC sidequests) that I ended up just running. But running from battles ate up an hour of your already short clock. And ten hours in I never got a CURE spell. So I had six potions (all I was allowed to carry) and my fingers crossed the whole time I was in areas with enemies. Again, I donít care if they wanted to do the combat this way but the fucking clock killed me. I donít want to get into because it sucked so much, but dear fucking god it was brutal.

The games armor and weapons are set up in a sort of dressphere method, not unlike X-2. So yeah, just wanted I always wanted to do: play dress up with Lightning. The animators did a good job in the first two games of not sexing Lighting up too much. Not this time. They went full on Japanese virgin. It's really pretty sad to see such a serious, important character reduced to a Barbie doll. I hate her but she deserves better than this. Jesus Christ at the beginning of the second game she was in a life or death battle with some Bahumat or something and it was insane. Now sheís totally Loliíd up with cool sunglasses and thigh-high skirts. You can pay a fortune for more dresses online but if I'm going to pay for outfits in a Final fantasy I'm going to pay for this one from XIII-2, a game I enjoyed.

The story I never got too much in to because I actually said, ďfuck thisĒ about ten hours into the game. Thatís bad. I at least saw Final Fantasy X-2 to the end. But this just sucked so much.

If there is anything good I can say about this game itís the environmental design was AWESOME. Not only does this game have cities (something XIII didn't and XIII-2 barely did) but it has the two nicest cities I've seen in a Final Fantasy (Luxerion and Yusnaan). They were huge and full of people and stuff to do. Most of my time was spent running around those cities waiting for the clock to hit a certain hour and open a door or something. And it was enjoyable and something I could do all night. It's too bad that clock is staring at you the whole time you're playing. I really would've liked to have spent a lot more time exploring those cities. There were some nice little moments in amongst the citizens (like that guy singing in Luxerion, that couple on a date in Yusnaan) that made the cities feel like real places and the people feel like real people. Instead of the old fashion people who said the same sentence every time you spoke to them. I think there are more well designed areas but I never got that far.

The ONLY things that keep this game from being worse than X-2 is that it has that great level design and overall design, unlike X-2's J-Pop barf. And I didn't pay for it.

They really dropped the ball with the Lightning trilogy. They could've taken the music, combat and game design of the first game, the characters and story of the second game and the environments of the third game and made one really good game. Instead they made one good game (XIII-2), one bad game (XIII) and one complete mess of shit (XIII-3). I donít see how anyone could play this game and say it was worth ever being brought to life. I wasnít a fan of XIII but even it didnít deserve a broken sequel like this. Maybe I was doing something wrong and I'm confused and missing out. I think I may be because something just doesn't feel right here. But it wasnít working for me. So for the time being fuck this game, fuck Lightning and fuck this shit game.

Favorite Moment: I liked that bard in Luxerion
Best Song: the Savior's Words
Coolest Character: fucked if I know
Lamest Character: who knows, probably Vanille
Average Completion Time: unknown, but I got ten hours in and I think I was a quarter of the way through
Rating: 1 out of 5

If you're gonna play a sandbox game (this game is very sandbox) go play a Grand Theft Auto.

Final Boss: Bhunivelze

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 06-22-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:02 PM

So that's it for games. I'm going to do some "awards" over the next week to close this thread out. Here's the catagories. You can suggest as many winners as you'd like but I'm the Academy of this thread so the winners are chosen pretty much by me. Because I rule.

Best Game
Best Character
Best Villain
Best Musical Piece
Best Soundtrack
Best Moment
Second Best Character (character who wasnít the best character in their game but still ruled)
Best Female Character
Best City/Town/Castle
Best Class/Job
Worst Game
Worst Character
Worst Villain
Worst Moment
Most "Confused" Character
Most Useless Character
Worst Class/Job

07/06 -- U2
Old 04-27-2014, 06:29 PM

Best Class/Job
Nominees: Black Mage, Dragoon, Onion Knight, Thief, White Mage

Black Mages are great when youíre fighting an enemy with a specific weakness. But what about when youíre fighting an enemy with no elemental weakness? That Myrthril Dagger doesnít pack too much punch. Iíve had a soft spot for Dragoons since Final Fantasy IV since my favorite character in that game (Kain) was a dragoon. He was like a Knight mixed with a Ninja. Onion Knights are awesome but usually come so late in the game that by the time you get them youíre already pretty powerful. And the Thief is essential for getting some of the better equipment in games, and in later games like XII essential if you even want to have any source of income.

All those are great but without a White Mage YOU WILL DIE. Having good armor will keep you alive longer, being able to thwart your enemies with a few spells is great and being able to act before your opponent is essential. But when the enemy is beating the crap out of you none of that will matter unless you have a White Mage to keep you alive. Her attack, defense and speed are always low and a lot of the time youíll be using her to keep herself alive. But when you have ten hit points left in the middle of a battle stealing an item or using Fire3 wonít do you much good if the enemyís next hit takes you out.

07/06 -- U2
Old 04-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Best Flash Animation Using Final Fantasy Sprites

Old 04-27-2014, 06:36 PM

Worst Class/Job
Nominees: Bard, Beastmaster, Dancer, Geomancer, Scholar

The amount of useless classes and jobs in Final Fantasy far outweighs the useful ones. You really can get by with the simple default party from the first Final Fantasy of Warrior/Thief/White Mage/Black Mage. But over the years lots have been added and some are cool. Not these five. I never understood the point of the Beastmaster class. He uses animals to aid in his attacks; which are weaker then a basic Warriors. And he equips most of the same gear as the Warrior but just isn’t as powerful with them. The Dancer is like a White Mage without the useful spells. A few random charm spells really don’t help that much. The Geomancer is cooler in concept that execution. Much like the Beastmaster, she’s just a less powerful warrior. And the Scholar is just a mind-fuck. His attacks just seem so random that maybe if you really put the time into developing him they may be useful. “Ain’t nobody got time fo’ that”. And wow, the ability to double the effect of potions. That Heal potion giving me 200HP will really help out when Ultima Weapons attacks are thwapping me for 5000HP.

But is it a surprise that the Bard comes out as the most useless class in the history of Final Fantasy? Weaker than almost any class physically, with the ability to take as much punishment as a marshmallow and useless, useless skills. And harps as his weapon. The Bard has never been able to recover from his most prolific day as Edward in Final Fantasy IV. It’s almost as if he’s put in games as a joke.

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-27-2014 at 06:46 PM.