Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 04-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Buahahahahaha

Mastodon New Album: "Once More Round the Sun"

Quote:
Mastodon has one of the most celebrated discographies in modern metal, so any news of a new album is great news. We caught up with bassist and vocalist Troy Sanders to discuss the band’s forthcoming album, Once More Round the Sun, which is slated for a release later this year on Warner Brothers Records.

“The songs all revealed themselves as what we’d hoped they’d sound like,” Sanders told us in February, immediately following the album’s tracking. “It’s big hugs all the way around. The four of us are digging it very heavily.” The album—which took the band from their hometown in Atlanta to Franklin, Tenn., for recording late last year—was just mixed by producer Nick Raskulinecz (Deftones, Rush, Alice in Chains, The Hold Steady). Now the Atlanta quartet is just waiting to solidify a release date.

“The idea was generated before we recorded the title track on the record, but the title was thought up many months ago,” Sanders said earlier this week about Once More Round the Sun. “After we finished the two-year touring cycle on our last record, The Hunter, we were kind of gearing up to go back to our rehearsal space in Atlanta. And we were starting the effort, the time, the blood, the energy, the months of driving, the recording and the long process between recording and the release day.

“In a nutshell: we’re fortunate enough to do this again, but there’s this feeling of this yearly cycle. It’s not a bad thing. We get to go tour a bunch, we get to record a bunch of songs we love. It’s embracing the positive—the wonderful side, to be able to have the same four dudes who love doing what we do so much. And like anything in the Mastodon world, it’s open to interpretation.”

Sanders said the album’s 60-or-so minutes are pure, authentic Mastodon. It launches off as a progression from The Hunter, which saw the band trimming back on song runtimes and pulling away from heavily conceptual pieces like Crack the Skye or Leviathan. “We’re all over the world as far as themes go,” Sanders said. “But there are a few sprinkles of epic goodness.” And with three vocalists—Sanders, drummer Brann Dailor and guitarist Brent Hinds—expect a pretty even split from what Sanders dubs the traditional Mastodon vocal tag-team.

“A lot of people ask us if it kicks off where The Hunter left off,” he said. “And to a large degree, I suppose yes. We recorded it and took it on the road with us, and then we headed back to our rehearsal space and started working out ideas. I’ve had a lot of time to ingest this record, and it’s solid. It’s a large slab of granite. I’m once again completely proud of these guys.”

Unlike many Mastodon albums of the past, Once More Round the Sun’s sessions left the band with some extra material. The band ended up cutting around 30 minutes of music, which Sanders hopes to see as an additional EP after the album release. “We didn’t want a 90-minute album. We like to record around the 60-minute mark. That’s what our favorite records are. We’re in love with all 15 of [the songs], so they might all see the light of day in some platform or another.”

As far as the songs themselves, Sanders has a few favorites. One includes “Diamonds in the Witch House,” which has an expected guest spot from longtime collaborator Scott Kelly of Neurosis. “I think subconsciously that we’re trying to involve him with every album enough to have a full set of songs eventually,” Sanders said, laughing. “I think his performance is great, his part still gives me chills. That’s a great sign.” Another early standout is “Ember City,” which was the first track Sanders contributed lyrically and vocally in the writing process for Once More Round the Sun.” “But I’m a big fan of every song on the record,” he added.

And with a band that’s got such powerful album covers like Leviathan, Crack the Skye or The Hunter, what can we expect there? Oakland-based artist Skinner, who specializes in “psychedelic nightmare paintings” (his words), will take the reins on Once More Round the Sun. “It’s going to be a work of art for sure. It’s going to be very eye-opening, very striking. It’s from another dimension, and a lot of our music is geared toward that idea—taking you to another planet on songs. It’s out there, and I think it’s incredible.”

Mastodon does not yet have a release date set for Once More Round the Sun, but you can catch them starting late this month on their North American tour.
http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...ce-more-r.html
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 04-04-2014, 12:31 PM
N00B

It sounds like they're going to continue in the direction of The Hunter, which was an okay album that had no staying power with me at all personally. I'll give the album a listen when it comes out, but the bar will be set low.
5/17 - Pig Destroyer/Weekend Nachos?
Old 04-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

I guess maybe this lessens the chances of them doing a 10th anniversary "play Leviathan in its entirety" tour.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:23 PM
N00B

Needs more Remission
Old 04-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

The Hunter is my favorite 'Dong record (deal with it) so I'm okay with it.
07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse
Old 04-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
I guess maybe this lessens the chances of them doing a 10th anniversary "play Leviathan in its entirety" tour.
troy said handful of shows, not a tour, and were already well into the mixing of the new album when the idea was mentioned, so its release doesnt necessarily have bearing on them doing leviathan shows

Quote:
I was just told that we could do a handful of shows this summer where we just play Leviathan live. I think [the record] is great and I’m certainly a fan of longevity. I don’t know many bands that have stayed with the same four guys for the last 14 years. I’m proud of that and think it’s great we are still friends and have the same focus and drive. I remember the four of us were prouder of that record than any of the previous ones. And I’m still really proud of it. It’s still classic in my opinion. But it’s more difficult to create a set list for live shows when you have more material under your belt. This will be our seventh record. That’s sixty something songs and all of us have favorites. Some of us are maybe a little tired of some of them. I don’t think any of us would be opposed to playing a Leviathan show and a handful of other songs.
http://www.stereogum.com/1666216/pro...ogress-report/
Old 04-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swboyd View Post
It sounds like they're going to continue in the direction of The Hunter, which was an okay album that had no staying power with me at all personally. I'll give the album a listen when it comes out, but the bar will be set low.
Brann did an interview about a month ago that said if he was to compare the new record to any of their previous work it would be Blood Mountain. In all honesty, I don't expect it to sound like Blood Mountain, The Hunter or any of their other records. Part of the charm of Mastodon is that you have absolutely no fucking idea what each new album is going to sound like. All I'm hoping is that this is an improvement over The Hunter (Don't get wrong The Hunter is still great, but it's easily my least favorite albums of theirs.)

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 04-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Buahahahahaha

^what he said
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 04-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I really like the title, I'm looking forward to this a lot.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 04-05-2014, 02:09 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

I might actually give them a try some day.

My album collection: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10683&page=16