Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014
System Of A Down -- Inglewood, CA -- December 13th, 2014

Old 03-28-2014, 06:16 AM

Anathema - Distant Satellites

ANATHEMA return in June with 'distant satellites', their brand new studio album.

Due to be released on 9th June via Kscope, 'distant satellites' is the highly anticipated follow up to 2012’s Weather Systems, recorded at Cederberg Studios in Oslo, with producer Christer-André Cederberg.

The beautifully ethereal artwork was created by Korean new media artist Sang Jun Too and based around his Distant Light Installation*

The band released a statement on their new album:

“distant satellites is the culmination of everything ANATHEMA been working up to so far in our musical path. It contains almost every conceivable element of the heartbeat of Anathema music that it is possible to have.

There is beauty, intensity, drama, quietude, and extra musical dimensions that the band have previously only hinted at. All built on the song writing chemistry of Daniel, John and Vincent ~ and the haunting voice of Lee Douglas.

Produced and mixed once again by our very own Christer-André Cederberg and with some songs also mixed by the unassailable Steven Wilson, It's a special and unique release for the band.

ANATHEMA hopes the fans get as much joy from listening to and feeling the music as we did in creating it.”

Album of the year.

Last edited by Coma323; 03-28-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:10 PM
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

Hell yes! Truly one of the most amazing bands ever! I rank them up there with Pink Floyd, Rush, and The Moody Blues. I can't wait to hear this!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Can't wait to hear this disc. The last two are amazing.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:13 AM
Troo Methulfan

At first, I didn't like Anthema's atmospheric prog.

But after a while, you get caught up in a dreamworld. Forever...
Old 05-20-2014, 06:37 PM
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=q2bwKAPgsyA
Old 05-21-2014, 01:43 PM

Why oh why hasn't this amazing band gained more popularity?! I rank them up there with the very best of Rush, Pink Floyd, and The Moody Blues.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:46 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis The Dragon View Post
Why oh why hasn't this amazing band gained more popularity?! I rank them up there with the very best of Rush, Pink Floyd, and The Moody Blues.
Because most people in the states didn't discover them until We're Here Because We're Here. Most people around here think Distant Satellites will be their 3rd album.

They are selling out every venue they go to except the States, where they are now starting to make an impact. So it'll come in time.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:56 PM
All of my life, I've been waiting for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Because most people in the states didn't discover them until We're Here Because We're Here. Most people around here think Distant Satellites will be their 3rd album.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, they've always had a good underground following here in the States. The "mainstream" didn't pick up on them because they hadn't played a full band US show until their tour with Alcest and before that only Danny and Vincent opened acoustically for Blackfield when We're Here came out. Now that they've been able to come over a few times their popularity is deservedly growing, but to say they barely had a foothold in the States before 2010 is a little off.
Youth Code: 1/27
A Place To Bury Strangers: 2/17
Sleater-Kinney: 2/26-27
Old 05-21-2014, 01:58 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post

They are selling out every venue they go to except the States, where they are now starting to make an impact. So it'll come in time.
Same everywhere, they completely re-invented themselves. The promoter who booked them for here in September put it perfectly 'Anathema is two bands now, really'. Except not in some bullshit political way, they just make very different, and I would argue better, music than they did before and as such the old records and songs don't even make sense in their setlists. Apparently they do Sleepless occasionally, but it sounds so out of place.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:59 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobys37 View Post
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, they've always had a good underground following here in the States. The "mainstream" didn't pick up on them because they hadn't played a full band US show until their tour with Alcest and before that only Danny and Vincent opened acoustically for Blackfield when We're Here came out. Now that they've been able to come over a few times their popularity is deservedly growing, but to say they barely had a foothold in the States before 2010 is a little off.
It depends on where you go. In Minnesota I met plenty of people who thought that Anathema was touring behind their secopnd album back in September.

Also back in 2005 when Opeth was touring behind Ghost Reveries I met a guy who asked me "How did Opeth get a headlining show here? This is only thier debut album?"