Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Downset -- Albany, NY -- July 24th, 2014
Megadeth -- Tolmin, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Tinley Park, IL -- July 24th, 2014
Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-31-2014, 10:27 AM
treghet's Avatar
treghet treghet is offline
Altars of Radness
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,778
Destruction -- Anaheim, CA -- March 29th, 2014

After Destruction's problematic tour a couple years ago Schmier claimed they would never return to North America. Thankfully it didn't take long for them to reconsider. This time around they hit Mirror Image Studios. It seemed like a strange place to book them, since the venue usually hosts local bands rather than international touring ones, but it turned out to be a nice choice. Although it's a small room the floor is wide enough for a decent sized pit to form. The biggest plus, however, is that the sound is great, which is not often the case in little clubs.

By the time I got inside Exmortus had just started playing their final song. They're a rather generic band that seems to have made a name for themselves in the cesspool retro thrash scene. I was there just in time to see them pull a lame trick where the guitarists played each others guitars slung behind their backs. The few minutes of their set that I witnessed were more than enough for me.

After a short changeover Krisiun was up. They've never impressed me much on record, but they put on an enjoyable show. Their brand of nonstop blasting death metal sounds very powerful live. They got the crowd going a bit, but there wasn't a whole ton of movement during their set. However, there was a fight started by a wasted guy. There seemed to be no security presence inside, so it was up to other attendees to calm the situation.
  1. Kings of Killing
  2. Combustion Inferno
  3. The Will to Potency
  4. Vicious Wrath
  5. Vengeance's Revelation
  6. Descending Abomination
  7. Ravager
    Drum Solo
  8. Blood of Lions
  9. Ominous

For whatever reason Destruction always takes forever to set up and start their set, so there was quite a long lull after Krisiun. During this time the drunk guy that started a fight earlier had instigated another one for no apparent reason, but there was still no security around to kick him out. Eventually Destruction were ready, and so was everybody else. They opened with "Thrash Till Death", spawning a violent pit. Soon enough the drunk guy had started yet another fight, which this time ended with him on the floor with a bloodied face. I didn't see him for the rest of the night after that.

The band was on point this night and sounded the best I've heard them. Schmier's bass was very audible in the mix, unlike previous times. And needless to say he still has the spitting venom in his voice that makes him sound so unique. Although the band was delivering in terms of performance, I had hoped for something more out of their choice of songs. On the setlist they had "Tormentor" and "Antichrist", but they opted for the same songs they usually play. Regardless, I enjoyed hearing the classics again, and I was surprised they actually played "Release from Agony" in full rather than only the first half like they've often done in the past. It was certainly a fun show and I was glad to see them again, but I hope next time they decide to change it up a bit!
  1. Thrash Till Death
  2. Spiritual Genocide
  3. Nailed to the Cross
  4. Mad Butcher
  5. Armageddonizer
  6. Eternal Ban
  7. Life Without Sense
    Beyond Eternity
  8. Release from Agony
  9. Carnivore
  10. Hate Is My Fuel
  11. Death Trap
  12. Total Desaster
  13. Bestial Invasion
    ---
  14. Curse the Gods
  15. The Butcher Strikes Back
__________________
10.24 Satan

Last edited by treghet; 03-31-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-31-2014, 10:31 AM
XDoomsayerX XDoomsayerX is offline
I'm reaching out for something else.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,455
Damn nig sounds like a brutal show. Where the hell is this place btw seems like a random joint?
__________________
Basement-8/12
Senses Fail-10/3
Mastojira-10/17
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-31-2014, 10:46 AM
treghet's Avatar
treghet treghet is offline
Altars of Radness
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,778
Yeah, it was intense at the beginning of Destruction's set. It calmed down after a while though. The venue is in a business district near the 57 / 91 interchange. It's a pretty cool place, they just need to hire some more security for bigger shows like this.
__________________
10.24 Satan
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-31-2014, 11:12 AM
christopher's Avatar
christopher christopher is offline
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 5,828
What time did Destruction go on? I was at a show in Placentia, which is 2 minutes away from the 57 and 91, and was on my way home at 10.
__________________
Who needs salad when you've got Satan?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-31-2014, 11:18 AM
treghet's Avatar
treghet treghet is offline
Altars of Radness
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,778
You would have made it with plenty of time! Destruction didn't go on until a little after 11.
__________________
10.24 Satan
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-31-2014, 02:33 PM
bigguytoo9 bigguytoo9 is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 584
Ill be seeing this show on Friday, Krisiun and Destruction deliver.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-31-2014, 02:46 PM
Onioner Onioner is offline
One who onions things
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Everywhere, CA
Posts: 1,928
I skipped out on the Whisky show so I could watch Wolf of Wall Street with my friends. I honestly regret nothing, Sunset Strip shows suck when it comes to local openers, the crowds and parking.

My biggest regret is missing Destruction back in 2011 when they toured with Heathen. Hearing Release from Agony played with two guitars like they did on that tour was probably pretty amazing.
__________________
Flotsam & Jetsam and/or War Master - 7/9
Grindcore Fest - 7/12
Exodus - 7/25
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-31-2014, 04:10 PM
Litany Litany is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 68
I went to the LA show, (sold out the day before) amazing! But, I literally live about 3 miles from Mirror Image Studios, where this show took place haha.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-31-2014, 04:11 PM
Litany Litany is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
After Destruction's problematic tour a couple years ago Schmier claimed they would never return to North America. Thankfully it didn't take long for them to reconsider. This time around they hit Mirror Image Studios. It seemed like a strange place to book them, since the venue usually hosts local bands rather than international touring ones, but it turned out to be a nice choice. Although it's a small room the floor is wide enough for a decent sized pit to form. The biggest plus, however, is that the sound is great, which is not often the case in little clubs.

By the time I got inside Exmortus had just started playing their final song. They're a rather generic band that seems to have made a name for themselves in the cesspool retro thrash scene. I was there just in time to see them pull a lame trick where the guitarists played each others guitars slung behind their backs. The few minutes of their set that I witnessed were more than enough for me.

After a short changeover Krisiun was up. They've never impressed me much on record, but they put on an enjoyable show. Their brand of nonstop blasting death metal sounds very powerful live. They got the crowd going a bit, but there wasn't a whole ton of movement during their set. However, there was a fight started by a wasted guy. There seemed to be no security presence inside, so it was up to other attendees to calm the situation.
  1. Kings of Killing
  2. Combustion Inferno
  3. The Will to Potency
  4. Vicious Wrath
  5. Vengeance's Revelation
  6. Descending Abomination
  7. Ravager
    Drum Solo
  8. Blood of Lions
  9. Ominous

For whatever reason Destruction always takes forever to set up and start their set, so there was quite a long lull after Krisiun. During this time the drunk guy that started a fight earlier had instigated another one for no apparent reason, but there was still no security around to kick him out. Eventually Destruction were ready, and so was everybody else. They opened with "Thrash Till Death", spawning a violent pit. Soon enough the drunk guy had started yet another fight, which this time ended with him on the floor with a bloodied face. I didn't see him for the rest of the night after that.

The band was on point this night and sounded the best I've heard them. Schmier's bass was very audible in the mix, unlike previous times. And needless to say he still has the spitting venom in his voice that makes him sound so unique. Although the band was delivering in terms of performance, I had hoped for something more out of their choice of songs. On the setlist they had "Tormentor" and "Antichrist", but they opted for the same songs they usually play. Regardless, I enjoyed hearing the classics again, and I was surprised they actually played "Release from Agony" in full rather than only the first half like they've often done in the past. It was certainly a fun show and I was glad to see them again, but I hope next time they decide to change it up a bit!
  1. Thrash Till Death
  2. Spiritual Genocide
  3. Nailed to the Cross
  4. Mad Butcher
  5. Armageddonizer
  6. Eternal Ban
  7. Life Without Sense
    Beyond Eternity
  8. Release from Agony
  9. Carnivore
  10. Hate Is My Fuel
  11. Death Trap
  12. Total Desaster
  13. Bestial Invasion
    ---
  14. Curse the Gods
  15. The Butcher Strikes Back
How was the attendance? As I mentioned in my recent post, yesterday's LA show sold out on this day.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-02-2014, 12:04 AM
treghet's Avatar
treghet treghet is offline
Altars of Radness
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litany View Post
How was the attendance? As I mentioned in my recent post, yesterday's LA show sold out on this day.
I'm not sure if it actually sold out, but it was pretty full in there. Did they play the same set at the Whisky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
My biggest regret is missing Destruction back in 2011 when they toured with Heathen. Hearing Release from Agony played with two guitars like they did on that tour was probably pretty amazing.
Yeah, it was cool seeing them play it as it was meant to be heard. Looking back at that tour though, I wish Deströyer 666 didn't have to drop off.
__________________
10.24 Satan
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
destruction, krisiun

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:25 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008