Megadeth -- Tolmin, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Tinley Park, IL -- July 24th, 2014
Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 03-31-2014, 10:27 AM
Altars of Radness

Destruction -- Anaheim, CA -- March 29th, 2014

After Destruction's problematic tour a couple years ago Schmier claimed they would never return to North America. Thankfully it didn't take long for them to reconsider. This time around they hit Mirror Image Studios. It seemed like a strange place to book them, since the venue usually hosts local bands rather than international touring ones, but it turned out to be a nice choice. Although it's a small room the floor is wide enough for a decent sized pit to form. The biggest plus, however, is that the sound is great, which is not often the case in little clubs.

By the time I got inside Exmortus had just started playing their final song. They're a rather generic band that seems to have made a name for themselves in the cesspool retro thrash scene. I was there just in time to see them pull a lame trick where the guitarists played each others guitars slung behind their backs. The few minutes of their set that I witnessed were more than enough for me.

After a short changeover Krisiun was up. They've never impressed me much on record, but they put on an enjoyable show. Their brand of nonstop blasting death metal sounds very powerful live. They got the crowd going a bit, but there wasn't a whole ton of movement during their set. However, there was a fight started by a wasted guy. There seemed to be no security presence inside, so it was up to other attendees to calm the situation.
  1. Kings of Killing
  2. Combustion Inferno
  3. The Will to Potency
  4. Vicious Wrath
  5. Vengeance's Revelation
  6. Descending Abomination
  7. Ravager
    Drum Solo
  8. Blood of Lions
  9. Ominous

For whatever reason Destruction always takes forever to set up and start their set, so there was quite a long lull after Krisiun. During this time the drunk guy that started a fight earlier had instigated another one for no apparent reason, but there was still no security around to kick him out. Eventually Destruction were ready, and so was everybody else. They opened with "Thrash Till Death", spawning a violent pit. Soon enough the drunk guy had started yet another fight, which this time ended with him on the floor with a bloodied face. I didn't see him for the rest of the night after that.

The band was on point this night and sounded the best I've heard them. Schmier's bass was very audible in the mix, unlike previous times. And needless to say he still has the spitting venom in his voice that makes him sound so unique. Although the band was delivering in terms of performance, I had hoped for something more out of their choice of songs. On the setlist they had "Tormentor" and "Antichrist", but they opted for the same songs they usually play. Regardless, I enjoyed hearing the classics again, and I was surprised they actually played "Release from Agony" in full rather than only the first half like they've often done in the past. It was certainly a fun show and I was glad to see them again, but I hope next time they decide to change it up a bit!
  1. Thrash Till Death
  2. Spiritual Genocide
  3. Nailed to the Cross
  4. Mad Butcher
  5. Armageddonizer
  6. Eternal Ban
  7. Life Without Sense
    Beyond Eternity
  8. Release from Agony
  9. Carnivore
  10. Hate Is My Fuel
  11. Death Trap
  12. Total Desaster
  13. Bestial Invasion
    ---
  14. Curse the Gods
  15. The Butcher Strikes Back

Last edited by treghet; 03-31-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:31 AM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Damn nig sounds like a brutal show. Where the hell is this place btw seems like a random joint?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:46 AM
Altars of Radness

Yeah, it was intense at the beginning of Destruction's set. It calmed down after a while though. The venue is in a business district near the 57 / 91 interchange. It's a pretty cool place, they just need to hire some more security for bigger shows like this.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:12 AM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

What time did Destruction go on? I was at a show in Placentia, which is 2 minutes away from the 57 and 91, and was on my way home at 10.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:18 AM
Altars of Radness

You would have made it with plenty of time! Destruction didn't go on until a little after 11.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:33 PM
N00B

Ill be seeing this show on Friday, Krisiun and Destruction deliver.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:46 PM
One who onions things

I skipped out on the Whisky show so I could watch Wolf of Wall Street with my friends. I honestly regret nothing, Sunset Strip shows suck when it comes to local openers, the crowds and parking.

My biggest regret is missing Destruction back in 2011 when they toured with Heathen. Hearing Release from Agony played with two guitars like they did on that tour was probably pretty amazing.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 03-31-2014, 04:10 PM
N00B

I went to the LA show, (sold out the day before) amazing! But, I literally live about 3 miles from Mirror Image Studios, where this show took place haha.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:11 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
After Destruction's problematic tour a couple years ago Schmier claimed they would never return to North America. Thankfully it didn't take long for them to reconsider. This time around they hit Mirror Image Studios. It seemed like a strange place to book them, since the venue usually hosts local bands rather than international touring ones, but it turned out to be a nice choice. Although it's a small room the floor is wide enough for a decent sized pit to form. The biggest plus, however, is that the sound is great, which is not often the case in little clubs.

By the time I got inside Exmortus had just started playing their final song. They're a rather generic band that seems to have made a name for themselves in the cesspool retro thrash scene. I was there just in time to see them pull a lame trick where the guitarists played each others guitars slung behind their backs. The few minutes of their set that I witnessed were more than enough for me.

After a short changeover Krisiun was up. They've never impressed me much on record, but they put on an enjoyable show. Their brand of nonstop blasting death metal sounds very powerful live. They got the crowd going a bit, but there wasn't a whole ton of movement during their set. However, there was a fight started by a wasted guy. There seemed to be no security presence inside, so it was up to other attendees to calm the situation.
  1. Kings of Killing
  2. Combustion Inferno
  3. The Will to Potency
  4. Vicious Wrath
  5. Vengeance's Revelation
  6. Descending Abomination
  7. Ravager
    Drum Solo
  8. Blood of Lions
  9. Ominous

For whatever reason Destruction always takes forever to set up and start their set, so there was quite a long lull after Krisiun. During this time the drunk guy that started a fight earlier had instigated another one for no apparent reason, but there was still no security around to kick him out. Eventually Destruction were ready, and so was everybody else. They opened with "Thrash Till Death", spawning a violent pit. Soon enough the drunk guy had started yet another fight, which this time ended with him on the floor with a bloodied face. I didn't see him for the rest of the night after that.

The band was on point this night and sounded the best I've heard them. Schmier's bass was very audible in the mix, unlike previous times. And needless to say he still has the spitting venom in his voice that makes him sound so unique. Although the band was delivering in terms of performance, I had hoped for something more out of their choice of songs. On the setlist they had "Tormentor" and "Antichrist", but they opted for the same songs they usually play. Regardless, I enjoyed hearing the classics again, and I was surprised they actually played "Release from Agony" in full rather than only the first half like they've often done in the past. It was certainly a fun show and I was glad to see them again, but I hope next time they decide to change it up a bit!
  1. Thrash Till Death
  2. Spiritual Genocide
  3. Nailed to the Cross
  4. Mad Butcher
  5. Armageddonizer
  6. Eternal Ban
  7. Life Without Sense
    Beyond Eternity
  8. Release from Agony
  9. Carnivore
  10. Hate Is My Fuel
  11. Death Trap
  12. Total Desaster
  13. Bestial Invasion
    ---
  14. Curse the Gods
  15. The Butcher Strikes Back
How was the attendance? As I mentioned in my recent post, yesterday's LA show sold out on this day.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:04 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litany View Post
How was the attendance? As I mentioned in my recent post, yesterday's LA show sold out on this day.
I'm not sure if it actually sold out, but it was pretty full in there. Did they play the same set at the Whisky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
My biggest regret is missing Destruction back in 2011 when they toured with Heathen. Hearing Release from Agony played with two guitars like they did on that tour was probably pretty amazing.
Yeah, it was cool seeing them play it as it was meant to be heard. Looking back at that tour though, I wish Deströyer 666 didn't have to drop off.

Tags
destruction, krisiun