Scarred
Space-Dye Vest
Illumination Theory

Encore:
Overture 1928
Strange Déjà Vu
The Dance of Eternity
Finally Free

This was my sixth time seeing Dream Theater (the first on foreign soil) and this was without a doubt the best i've ever heard the band sound. I know some fans are upset they're not rotating the sets for every show but I think it's for the better because i've never heard the band sound tighter, which is really saying something. I've never heard LeBrie sing as well live as he does now either. At first I was a little disappointed that The Bigger Picture and nothing off Images & Words was in the set. But after seeing and hearing how well the set came off by the end of the show I didn't care since it was such a great performance from them.

The stage production is also the biggest i've seen from them. A lot more lights and a screen that had custom made videos for a lot of the songs. That's probably another reason they're not switching up the set. Everything worked so well with the song selection and flow of the set, i'm actually glad they kept it the same. Why fuck with something that's working? After they played Lie, James said to the crowd that they are celebrating two anniversaries this tour with Awake (20 years) and Scenes From A Memory (15 years) so they will be honoring those albums tonight. If that was the bands intention going into this tour then I think they did a good job of balancing the set out between the new(er) stuff and the material off Awake and Scenes.

The crowd was great for most part. I was in the balcony on Petrucci's side so that meant there wasn't a lot of standing. The view was great from where we were sitting anyways, so I didn't mind it. My whole section stood up for the encore and the audience loved that part of the show. Everyone went nuts for Illumination Theory to. Every song was well received though. If you are planning on seeing them this tour, don't be late. Whatever time your ticket says the show starts make sure you're in your seat before that. At 8 o'clock on the dot the lights went out and the intro started, so don't be one of those dopes that strolls in a little late thinking you won't miss anything

I had never been to Massey Hall before and it is a great venue. An nice old school theater with three levels that fits about 2,000 people. Not a bad view to be had in the whole place. In a city as big as Toronto it wasn't hard find the venue either. I would certainly go back there again for future shows.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:17 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I've only been to Massy Hall once myself but I LOVED it. It's not really a "metal" venue. I can only think of Dream Theater being the only metal band I know of playing it.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy
Old 03-21-2014, 07:29 AM
N00B

Opeth and Mastodon played there a couple of years ago. Marilyn Manson also played there in like 2004.

Last edited by AnthG; 03-21-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:38 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I though Opeth/Mastodon played the Sony Center, which is another great venue I never get to go to.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy
Old 03-21-2014, 08:09 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I've only been to Massy Hall once myself but I LOVED it. It's not really a "metal" venue. I can only think of Dream Theater being the only metal band I know of playing it.
I like it too... I think I've been there three times: Dream Theater, Jethro Tull and the G3 tour (Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen).
Old 03-21-2014, 08:50 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I though Opeth/Mastodon played the Sony Center, which is another great venue I never get to go to.
Ah, you're right. Sony Center used to be the Hummingbird Centre, which I would sometimes mix up with Massey Hall.

EDIT: But Manson still played Massey Hall, that I know for a fact.

Last edited by AnthG; 03-21-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:58 AM
somebody somewhere

I knew you would go to this. I am seeing them at the Orpheum Theatre in L.A. next month. It's another old school theatre, it's awesome.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:35 AM
That Guy

It's the same set but it is a great set.

I am interviewing Dream Theater at the Minnesota show, not guaranteed to be able to stay for the show sadly as it is sold out, but I may be able to get passes for it. I really wanna see this set.

Trial of Tears is one of my favorite underrated DT songs and have yet to see that one live.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
It's the same set but it is a great set.

I am interviewing Dream Theater at the Minnesota show, not guaranteed to be able to stay for the show sadly as it is sold out, but I may be able to get passes for it. I really wanna see this set.

Trial of Tears is one of my favorite underrated DT songs and have yet to see that one live.
This show was a sellout to. James even thanked everyone for selling the place out. Most of the tickets were sold in the fan pre sale. I got the tickets the day they went on sail to the public and the whole floor was already sold out except for a few seats. That's about half of Massey Hall's capacity from what I could tell. Nice to see that they're selling some shows out since last tour they were booked in venues that were too big for them and they ended up playing to half full houses.

Sucks you weren't able to get tickets for your show. Since you're interviewing the band, maybe one of the guys will nice enough to help you out so you can see it. Trail Of Tears was great to hear live. I never thought it was an underrated tune though. Falling Into Infinity gets mixed reviews from the fanbase but TOT seems to be the one song on the album most people like.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:09 AM
Concert Veteran

Video of 'Scarred' from the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdsfx9h17Yo

Tags
dream theater