Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Movies

Old 03-23-2014, 12:07 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Dextrimental's Top 25 Movies! YEAH!

So, fuck it, why not? I like movies, I like discussing movies, let's get this ball rolling, yo!

25. The Battery (2012)

So yeah, going to kick off with a recent indie zombie flick. One of two films made in the last 3 years that make this list, but trust me, this one is absolutely worthy of it's spot. Equal parts smart, creative and fresh while also having a classic feel, The Battery is Jeremy Gardner's debut film, and the best zombie film in years. Following two friends as they survive the apocalypse, the film manages to blend buddy-comedy, love, loneliness, despair, hope, action and suspense together without missing a beat or feeling like anything is forced in. The acting is superb, the scripting extremely tight and the cinematography is beyond that of an indie film. See this film if you like creative film-making. The only reason this is no. 25 is because I haven't re-watched it yet - as a rule I wait a year after I watch a film I REALLY enjoy to see if it passes the test twice, then I assess where I rank it amongst my existing favorites. This will be a top ten film if it passes that test.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

That's a new one on me... and I can never watch enough good zombie movies... but this doesn't appear to be out on DVD yet?

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 03-24-2014, 12:30 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
That's a new one on me... and I can never watch enough good zombie movies... but this doesn't appear to be out on DVD yet?
The guys are totally independent, so the DVD/Bluray release is taking time. It's slated for some point this year, they've got all the manufacturing and online distribution lined up, it's just a pain when you're not a production company.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:43 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

24. Scarface

At one point, this was my favorite film. I remember watching it at 12 and thinking it was the coolest shit ever. The whole film beginning to end was just filled with memorable quotes, action and intense acting. Pacino and Mary Elizabeth Mastranonio turn in stellar perfromances - Mastranonio in particular I find is totally underrated, Pfeiffer is great and all but Mastranonio towards the end going against Pacino? Jaw-dropping. Brian De Palma and Oliver Stone cultivated one of the most entertaining films of the 80's for my buck with this, and created an icon in Tony Montant. An icon, unfortunately, over-glorified by 'gangstas' who haven't a clue.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:54 AM
N00B

The whole General Chat subforum is like Hollywood because SHIT KEEPS GETTING REMADE!
Old 03-24-2014, 11:05 AM
with his arms outstretched

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
The whole General Chat subforum is like Hollywood because SHIT KEEPS GETTING REMADE!
Yeah, but this is one of those rare cases where the remake is better than the original.

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2
Old 03-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Nice start. I have (relatively) high hopes for this thread.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:05 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

23. Event Horizon

One of the most gory, horrifying sci-fi horror films ever made. Paul Anderson, when he still knew how to make good film, completely knocked this one out of the park. The vibe is so grim, the story so hopeless, the characters so optimistic that it makes you wince see them try to fight the impending doom - it's just a hell of a ride. Laurence Fishbourne and Sam Neill demonstrate some dam good acting chops, if a touch ridiculous at times. This movie is just fun, while still being a chilling experience. I find I turn to this movie very regularly when I want to be reassured of a time when bigger budget horror films actually had the ability to chill you to the bone while still being outlandish in their content.

Last edited by Dextrimental; 03-27-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:17 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Event Horizon! I need to rewatch this. I remember loving it, but haven't seen it in at least seven years and don't remember much about it.
1/9 Skull Fist
1/10 Cruel Hand
1/16 Mayhem
1/23 Sea of Shit
Old 03-27-2014, 05:16 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

22. Godzilla (1954)

The word 'classic' gets thrown around a lot, both about potential classics and films of old that we view with rose-tinted glasses. This film is classic in every sense of the word. HUGELY influtential, and HUGELY underrated as the idea of this film and Godzilla as a part of pop culture has drastically over-shadowed the film itself. 60 years, 60 YEARS, and this still stands up as both a period piece of a very important period in history for Japan and a blockbuster before blockbusters existed. This is way beyond anything Hollywood was producing at the time, and a film featured later later in my list literally wouldn;t exist without his film, in my opinion at least. The new film coming this year finally seems to be updating this to modern times, and I cannot wait to see if they finally manage it. If you like monster films, blockbusters, horror, or just have an interest in how films were made before computers, this covers all of it. Watch.