Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Old 03-24-2014, 06:57 AM
with his arms outstretched

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
I listened to these four based on your mini-reviews and actually really dug them. Especially the first two.
It's nothing to be embarrassed by.

Ranking Peggle over Mass Effect though.

Seriously, it's just good fun harmless music.

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2
Old 03-24-2014, 07:34 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
I actually have seen a lot of metalheads on Facebook making some rather interesting comments on Babymetal. A ton of "I don't know if this is amazing or an abomination" type things.
Definitely the latter. No true metalhead would take this seriously. In fact, I actually find it insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
The music is good, so I guess that counts for something
No, it isn't. Not even a little bit. That's a big part of the problem. It's pure manufactured bullshit with no emotion or artistic merit whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Rating: 5 out of 5
You've got to be fucking kidding me. Liking it for a minute I can understand (I guess). Everybody has their guilty pleasures. But giving it a perfect rating in terms of musical and artistic quality? Really, man? You've not only drunk the Kool-aid, but you're basically taking a bath in it.

Look, guys. I get J-pop and K-pop. Really, I do. I don't like it, but I get it. The problem I have with shit like this is that it's damn near mocking one of my favorite genres of music. Granted, I don't think the producers behind this are overtly trying to piss metalheads off - in fact, I think the truth of the matter is completely opposite. Their market play here is rather obvious. Harness the energy of high BPM dance music to create a hyper-tense level of excitement from metal fans. The problem is, it's pure manufactured garbage. The girls are the epitome of puppets. They don't play instruments, and in fact, they don't even do all of the vocals. I don't know who's doing the harsh vox, but it's definitely not one of these frail little waifs. There's not a metal bone in any of their bodies. The musicians themselves are hidden away like Brendon Small (and BTW, I like Dethklok...to an extent), but my guess is that they have no stake in metal whatsoever - they're just hired guns playing fast and emulating a style that somebody shoved in front of them so that the producers of this shitfest could make money.

It should be said that I like electronic music, and lots of other types of music as well. I also like bands like ChthoniC, who are making honest metal music while trying to infuse a genuine twist using traditional far eastern instruments. On a more fundamental level, I'm also a fan of musical expression of any kind, regardless of whether I ultimately enjoy the sounds being put together or not. However, this shit is a blatant cash-grab with no sense of history or tradition or musical integrity to it at all. As a metalhead - and on a much more basic level, as a music fan - this crap offends me to the core of my being. It's a right-the-fuck-in-your-grill-and-I-don't-even-care slap in the face to metal, and it blatantly represents what some folks are trying to do to metal around the world today - figure out what works at this very moment, and then package it up and shove it down the throats of the masses as quickly as possible before they realize they've been fooled by being spoon-fed substandard shit. This is beyond being a gimmick - it's an outright fucking lie. If there is a crisis in metal today, this is it.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:12 AM

I pretty much agree with everything you said. Except I'm of the former who really enjoy it.

I didn't take it too serious and just had fun with it.

07/06 -- U2
Old 03-24-2014, 09:31 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I wouldn't exactly say Babymetal is a "crisis" in metal because it's Japan and a hologram of a 13 year old girl with blue hair sells out arenas there.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:38 AM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

Oh Japan.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:16 PM

Yeah, I was in a shitty mood this morning. I hadn't had enough caffeine or anything to eat yet.

That said, I still think it's shit. Lol at the observation Manks made. The Japanese go apeshit for some pretty fucked up stuff.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:14 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Look, guys. I get J-pop and K-pop. Really, I do. I don't like it, but I get it. The problem I have with shit like this is that it's damn near mocking one of my favorite genres of music. Granted, I don't think the producers behind this are overtly trying to piss metalheads off - in fact, I think the truth of the matter is completely opposite. Their market play here is rather obvious. Harness the energy of high BPM dance music to create a hyper-tense level of excitement from metal fans. The problem is, it's pure manufactured garbage. The girls are the epitome of puppets. They don't play instruments, and in fact, they don't even do all of the vocals. I don't know who's doing the harsh vox, but it's definitely not one of these frail little waifs. There's not a metal bone in any of their bodies. The musicians themselves are hidden away like Brendon Small (and BTW, I like Dethklok...to an extent), but my guess is that they have no stake in metal whatsoever - they're just hired guns playing fast and emulating a style that somebody shoved in front of them so that the producers of this shitfest could make money.

It should be said that I like electronic music, and lots of other types of music as well. I also like bands like ChthoniC, who are making honest metal music while trying to infuse a genuine twist using traditional far eastern instruments. On a more fundamental level, I'm also a fan of musical expression of any kind, regardless of whether I ultimately enjoy the sounds being put together or not. However, this shit is a blatant cash-grab with no sense of history or tradition or musical integrity to it at all. As a metalhead - and on a much more basic level, as a music fan - this crap offends me to the core of my being. It's a right-the-fuck-in-your-grill-and-I-don't-even-care slap in the face to metal, and it blatantly represents what some folks are trying to do to metal around the world today - figure out what works at this very moment, and then package it up and shove it down the throats of the masses as quickly as possible before they realize they've been fooled by being spoon-fed substandard shit. This is beyond being a gimmick - it's an outright fucking lie. If there is a crisis in metal today, this is it.

I agree with the points you made about this music simply being a manufactured product, but I don't see how the problems extend into the metal genre. The music has some growls, guitars, and fast beats, but when it comes down to it, it's pop music packaged up nicely for people who have little to no interest in metal. The vast majority of people who enjoy this would have never given a metal band the time of day. I've actually never seen this band discussed outside of this forum, so I don't think it should be taken as a serious threat. It won't affect the metal genre and within a few years they will be forgotten when the major labels try to capitalize on a new trend.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:55 AM

Yeah, like I said I was hungry and cranky.

That said, the problem certainly exists, but much more so in genres other than metal. It's rampant in pop, and getting surprisingly bad in genres such as country as well, but the plague hasn't hit metal that hard because the corporations aren't that interested (yet?), either because there's not enough money in it as a whole, or the bands that are big enough to make hella profits got that way on their own without having to be "created" by fat cat producers. In other words, most truly huge metal bands are pretty authentic and true to the genre's traditions. I would say most of the exceptions to that statement reside in the *-core subgenres. That's kinda what I was referring to more than anything.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:10 PM
That Guy

It's a fun, novelty Metal album. If it helps kids of a younger generation get into Metal, I'm all for it.

It's not like this is going to destroy Metal like Fred Durst did back in 97.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:15 PM

Like I said in my review, I don't think it will make much of an impact outside of Eastern Asia. If it actually gets a North American release then maybe start worrying. But it's a different time from even Fred Dursts days. It will be forgotten in a year no matter what.

07/06 -- U2