Death Angel -- San Francisco, CA -- December 27th, 2014
Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 03-22-2014, 09:29 AM
N00B

Know Lyfe -- Lansing, MI -- March 21st, 2014

Every year the band Know Lyfe hosts a cover show at The Loft in Lansing where the bands play a set of covers by a particular band. This was my first time attending. While it's cool that it's something unique, I am always skeptical when bands do covers. I'd usually rather hear a band's original music (even if it's awful) than covers. I know that probably sounds weird. I went into this show w/ an open mind, though. This show was also a benifit for the family of Know Lyfe's former drummer Matt, who died a few weeks ago.

Damn Van Cannibals played first as THE WHITE STRIPES. I am not a fan of The White Stripes at all, but their set was excellent. Maybe I'll have to check out The White Stripes some more.

Of Virtue was next. They were added to this show late because they were really good friends w/ Matt, and they wanted to play this show. So, they did a set of their own stuff instead of covers. I'm fine w/ that. They are going into the studio next month to record their new album called SALVATION. I can't wait for that CD! They played a few new songs as well. Check these guys out. They're amazing.

Of Virtue setlist
The Human Condition
Comfort Runs Thin
new song
So Nearly Free (new song)

A band frpm Lansing called Pacifier played next as RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE. Their set was super-fun. How could it not be? I mean, it is Rage, right?

Pacifier as Rage Against The Machine setlist
Bulls On Parade
Testify
Wake Up
Renegades of Funk
Killing In The Name

Next up was Beats And Angles as TOOL. For the first few songs of their set they had a video screen playing the Tool videos along w/ them. Tool is one of the few bands that actually make great music videos, so that was cool.

Beats And Angles as TOOL setlist
Stinkfist
Sober
Intolerance
46 & 2

Next was a KoRn tribute band from Chicago called Freak on a Leash. They were excellent.

Freak on a Leash setlist
It's On
Freak on a Leash
Got The Life
Falling Away From Me
Twist
A.D.I.D.A.S.
Blind
Here To Stay
My Gift To You

Next was a bamd called Born. They were another late addition to the show after Matt's passing, so they didn't play a cover set. They did end their set, though w/ a cover of "The Tanbark Is Hot Lava" by Dredg. They said that was one of Matt's favorite bands. Mine, too! That was a cool surprise. Even without that Dredg cover, I thought Born was amazing! I'll check em out some more for sure.

Devereaux played a set as GUNS N' ROSES. They came out even dressed as GnR. Their singer had a red-haired wig to look like Axl. Their guitarist had a black vest w/ no shirt, a cigarette hanging out of his mouth & a big top hat. Their bassist & drummer wore blonde wigs to look like Duff & Stephen. Thir set was amazing. They did a great job.

Devereaux as Guns N' Roses setlist
Welcome To The Jungle
You Could Be Mine
Don't Cry
November Rain (partial)
Sweet Child O' Mine
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Paradise City

Know Lyfe was next. They were originally going to play a set as SYSTEM OF A DOWN, but after the passing of their former drummer they decided to play a few SOAD songs and then play some older Know Lyfe songs that Matt played on and enjoyed.

Know Lyfe setlist
Suite-Pee (SOAD cover)
Deer Dance (SOAD cover)
Toxicity (SOAD cover)
Ephysians
Veind & Vines
Oceans
2/18 STYG
2/27 For Today
3/21 Coal Chamber
3/26 Bob Seger

Tags