Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014

Old 05-17-2014, 11:42 AM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
Marrow wasn't that bad dude.
Meh. I remember buying it some months after it came out and like having to try so hard to find something to dig about it. I still enjoy The Watcher's Monolith, but every other song on there just kind of goes nowhere and is strangled by its own hipstery pretentiousness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
The thing that bugged me the most about Marrow was the production on it. Here is Agalloch, a band that has released 3 REALLY GOOD sounding full lengths, then they come out with something that sounds like it was recorded in a cement basement, live, with one microphone in the middle of the room.
In their defense, they really did their best to rectify the situation. You of all people on here should now how expensive recording albums is. Marrow got really fucked up from the bottom up pretty early on, so they had to deal with what they had as opposed to re-recording the entire thing which would have been crazy expensive. It could have sounded much worse. Much much worse.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 05-17-2014, 01:52 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post

In their defense, they really did their best to rectify the situation. You of all people on here should now how expensive recording albums is. Marrow got really fucked up from the bottom up pretty early on, so they had to deal with what they had as opposed to re-recording the entire thing which would have been crazy expensive. It could have sounded much worse. Much much worse.
Well I was unaware of that situation, so that definitely gives me more respect over how they worked with the situation. Every time I listen to that album I think "If only this was better then it would be an AMAZING record."

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 05-17-2014, 02:12 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
Well I was unaware of that situation, so that definitely gives me more respect over how they worked with the situation. Every time I listen to that album I think "If only this was better then it would be an AMAZING record."
Yeah, the production of Marrow would make for a really interesting article if all of the necessary parties would be willing to get involved. There are a couple people that could get potentially thrown under the bus if they didn't get a chance to tell their end of it, even though no one in particular was at fault per se.

As for Serpent & the Sphere, the Anderson/Weis team crushed it once again. Billy got damn close to a perfect drum mix (kick's a little too clicky for my taste), the bass has a solid amount of definition and the guitars sound great as well.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31

Last edited by Onioner; 05-17-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:06 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I'm probably the only person who will ever say this but I think Agalloch has gotten progressively BETTER with each release. I didn't care for Pale Folklore, I don't see the big deal with the Mantle, I think they got WAY BETTER with Ashes Against the Grain and I though Marrow of the Spirit was awesome. I don't over-analyze the production or anything, I go off of moments. Here's mine.

It hit me one night at work, when I was by myself sitting in a desk that wasn't mine. I was in the middle of one of my hourly forty-five minute breaks and when those first notes of Black Lake Nidstang rang out it hit me; I was a god that night. I sat in whoever's desk it was eating some candy I found at some other desk and got lost. I've come down since then but that moment was awesome.

So that said; I haven't listened to the stream of the new album because I plan on buying it the second it's released. And I'm looking forward to it very, very much.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy
Old 05-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I'm probably the only person who will ever say this but I think Agalloch has gotten progressively BETTER with each release.
I would say the same for the first four releases, even though I love them all. Marrow will always be my favorite I loved the gritty raw production and more aggressive sound the songs featured. I will agree with Onioner though that The Tenant wipes the floor with it.