Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014

Old 03-18-2014, 07:14 AM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrz View Post
I've seen this happen to a few forums to the point where I wonder if it's like an inevitable law of forums. They can hold on to vitality for so long and then this entropy sets in. Once it gets a foothold, there's no going back, because it slams the door on new users integrating.
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. Personally it's still fun for me as just a place to shoot the shit but anytime new users try to join they don't last a day
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 03-18-2014, 09:05 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I didn't know they made Bette Midler onesies. I am deeply disturbed at that.
They don't (at least I don't think...). It was just an example.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
They don't (at least I don't think...). It was just an example.
I was playing dumb to go along with the joke you were making.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
Metal Uprising is its own animal now-a-days. It's just a cesspool of dumb inside jokes. At least 40% of the forum doesn't even listen to any metal or discuss music at all. And for some reason those who do like to discuss music don't want to bother coming over here, even though I've talked about this forum. Oh well.
Ah. Very well then. As one character said to another character in a show I used to watch, "the beauty is in the attempt."

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrz View Post
I've seen this happen to a few forums to the point where I wonder if it's like an inevitable law of forums. They can hold on to vitality for so long and then this entropy sets in. Once it gets a foothold, there's no going back, because it slams the door on new users integrating.
Bingo. This forum has managed to retain a healthy balance of esotericism (which I felt when I first joined, and still feel to some degree, though it has diminished with the departures of some of the dinosaur members) and openness, and that balance is vital to sustaining the life force of this forum or any forum. There needs to be some degree of esotericism amongst active users, but not so much so that it dissuades potential new users from becoming active.

I don't think it's esotericism at this point that is dissuading new potential members. It's something else. Maybe just a period of stagnation that can't be attributed to anything.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:40 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Page one on the Setlists forum - oldest post is a week ago.
Page one on the Misinfo forum - oldest post is two days ago.
Every thread on page one of the Album Reviews page is from 2014, including a very active "2014" thread.
Dream Setlists (my choice for most underrated subforum) is all from 2014.
Page one of General Chat is all from within the last month, including the very active stickied threads. These also include the very active "Sports" and "Video Games" threads.

I think some of you people just need to look harder.
Yes, there is still a good amount of activity here. My intention of making this thread was not to say this place is going to dry up by the end of the year, but to point out there has been slowdown taking place over the last couple years that could eventually lead to this place dying. As I said in my original post, we've only had four new members since the beginning of the year. Compare that to ten or more per a month in 2011. Then consider how many new members have become regular posters in the last couple years versus how many have left or are not as active these days. The fact is we need fresh blood to keep this place going, and for whatever reason this place doesn't seem as attractive to guests as it did a couple years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
I wish there was some way we could address this issue. I wouldn't mind the fact that old members aren't posting anymore if new members were coming along and contributing and establishing identities for themselves. I don't really care what kind of music they listen to. Jd liked a bunch of garbage if I remember right, as did brutal descent, but they were conversational and fun to have around.

I have personally asked a number of friends to start posting here. I've been trying for a long time. People whom would surely add some flare if nothing else. They just aren't interested though. Maybe if everyone on here tried this approach some could manage to yield results. Reaching out to people we know, or people that we suspect might be interested, might be our best chance at increasing membership. Or even people that post elsewhere. If anyone here posts on other boards, as I'm sure is the case, try herding some folks over here. Just (and this should go without saying) be selective and don't target people that would detract from what we have going on here.

Only a very, very small percentage of new members actually become regular contributors. If a new member actually knows someone who is a regular here, they may be more inclined to contribute and stick around. I remember when I joined I only did so because I was already acquainted with a few posters here from a board we'd previously posted on. That acquaintance was my incentive to come here in the first place. Perhaps the prospect of joining here and becoming a new member of this community is more daunting than we think.
You've summed up my thoughts nicely with this post. I've actually tried to get a couple of my friends to post here as well, although without success. Perhaps other people would have better luck. And I do think that the fact that this is a tight-knit community could deter some folks who don't know other members from becoming active posters. It could feel more difficult for them to assimilate with this place than on a large forum where few people actually know each other.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:54 AM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

I've tried to start a lot of conversation about what I'm super passionate about but no one seems to be very responsive. I'm all about country/bluegrass/folk that is played with an attitude by punks. I feel like some people here would be down, but no one cares to respond to me.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:50 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
I've tried to start a lot of conversation about what I'm super passionate about but no one seems to be very responsive. I'm all about country/bluegrass/folk that is played with an attitude by punks. I feel like some people here would be down, but no one cares to respond to me.
I will
Old 03-19-2014, 07:02 AM
N00B

Quote:
I do not comment much but that Jayke Orvis record from last year (that you posted on the end of your year list) was pretty tight. You unearthed that for me to discover... if that makes you feel better.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:24 AM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Quote:
Quite a unique acquired taste there bro. Ive never heard of the bands on your concert to attend list aside from Goddamn which ya showed me lol and Gorilla Biscuits.
Tough Mudder-10/26
Old 03-19-2014, 12:27 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Thanks guys, that makes me feel a little better. I'll get a list together soon after my finals are over this week.