Opeth -- Toronto, ON -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014
Battlecross -- Westland, MI -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 03-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

Between the Buried and Me -- Oakland, CA -- March 11th, 2014

Got to the show early and I got a spot right against the stage. Show started around 8:30.

The first band of the night was Canadian prog newcomers, The Kindred. When I first heard they were on the tour, I checked out their music, and to be blunt, I think they suck on record. Live though, it was tolerable. The main thing I don't like about them is the vocals, and fortunately for me then, and unfortunately for me later, the vocals weren't very audible near the stage. I understand why, but some venues are better about that than The Metro. I have to give them some credit, because they do things not many metal bands do like incorporate extensive use of whammy and also use capos on some songs. And even though the crowd wasn't super enthusiastic, the singer got into the crowd during the last song, which was cool I guess. Overall, these guys weren't as bad as I had expected, but I didn't really care for it

Next was metal's favorite jazzbois, Intronaut. This was my 3rd time seeing them, and even though their set was shorter than previous sets this tour, it was still a super enjoyable set. Sacha and Dave sounded great as usual, providing awesome riffage and good vox. The Joe Lester/Danny Walker rhythm section is still the best rhythm section in metal today. Danny is such an impressive drummer and don't get me started on Joe's bass playing . Overall, it was awesome to see these guys again, and I'm always down for Intronaut

Intronaut
The Literal Black Cloud
Harmoniocon
Milk Leg
The Welding

After a fix of some trap rap over the PA, Deafheaven got on stage and unleashed hell on the crowd. This was my 4th time seeing the bay area blackgaze oufit and it was just as intense as other time I've seen them, albeit shorter that every other time. The second the band got into the opening chords of their anthem, Dream House, there was pushing and sooner after people were pushing to get close to vocalist, George Clarke and he took all the energy the crowd provided and spat it right back. The other guitarists were also moving around more than I've seen before, so it's awesome to see the band becoming true showman, but George still runs the spectacle of Deafheaven. While he focused on the center of the stage, he gave some love to the sides and there were a few times he got in my face during the refrain Sunbather. I spent the set headbanging, screaming my lungs out or just taking the music in while in a trance. Seeing Deafheaven live is always a great experience and cathartic for me. Overall, even if it was the shortest set I've seen Deafheaven play, it was still a great time.

Deafheaven
Dream House
(Irresistible)
Sunbather
The Pecan Tree

Lastly was the defining band of modern progressive metal, Between the Buried and Me. Even if I don't listen to them as often as I used to and wasn't a fan of Parallax II, I still know Colors like the back of my hand, so when they played the first chords of Foam Born (A) The Backtrack, I got really excited and sang along. Then when the went into Foam Born (B), Decade of Statues, I went ham. That fucking intro is awesome and the Super Mario breakdown get me moving every time. The rest of the set just reminded me of how impressive this band is as musicians. They all fucking shred and Tommy's vocals were as good as ever. The whole set was really enjoyable, and since there was no barrier, this was the most intense BTBAM performance I've seen with people crowd surfing often. This was also my first time seeing them play Selkies live, so I had my fanboy moment during the sweeps part. And finally hearing Sun Of Nothing was . The new material wasn't bad either, but I enjoyed the shorter songs more. Overall though, the band sounded great and it was one hell of show.

Between the Buried and Me
Foam Born (A) The Backtrack
Foam Born (B) The Decade of Statues
Obfuscation
Astral Body
Lay Your Ghosts to Rest
(Autumn)
Selkies: The Endless Obsession
Bloom
Swim to the Moon (2nd half of the song only)
Silent Flight Parliament
----------------------------
Sun Of Nothing

The Kindred: 5/10
Intronaut: 8/10
Deafheaven: 8.25/10 (just because the set was short)
BTBAM: 8.75/10

After the show I ran into Brennan of Cormorant and chatted with him a bit. If you pre-order a CD copy of their upcoming album, Earth Diver, expect your copy to come in the mail relatively soon.

Last edited by slapguitarer; 03-13-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:00 AM
I am not a N00B, I am a free man!

In the review (which was great, by the way), you mention Deafheaven played Dream House, but you didn't list it in the set.

How is The Metro overall? I haven't been there since I played at the old spot (it's been a while since they moved, I know).

Last edited by The Ghost at Number One; 03-13-2014 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost at Number One View Post
In the review (which was great, by the way), you mention Deafheaven played Dream House, but you didn't list it in the set.

How is The Metro overall? I haven't been there since I played at the old spot (it's been a while since they moved, I know).
Wow I spaced hard on that one. Fixed it

After going there there three times, I like the metro just fine. Only issue is how hard it is to the the vocals up close to the stage. I know it because I'm standing super close the amps, but some venues have better sound clarity up close.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:05 AM
N00B

Went to this show Monday night in Reno. Same sets for each band, except Intronaut played Vernon after TLBC.

Pretty much the same thoughts for each band:

The Kindred didn't really do anything for me

Intronaut was way too short but amazing, especially the new stuff

Deafheaven were really good

BTBAM was BTBAM. Only complaint was that I could have done with something other than Silent Flight Parliament (Specular Reflection?). Sun of Nothing was fucking awesome as the encore (probably my favorite BTBAM song), glad I held out on looking at the setlist.

How were the bands received? The crowd went nuts for Deafheaven and BTBAM, and the place was pretty empty for the Kindred. The thing that shocked me was the lukewarm (at best) reception Intronaut got - they were so good.

I assume they played the bigger half of the Metro. a couple of years ago, I saw Intronaut/Animals as Leaders at the small half while another show was going on next door.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:15 AM

I think the crowd reactions were about similar. Kindred got a lukewarm reception, but I'm sure some of the prog nerds strictly there for BTBAM liked em. Intronaut got a decent reaction; a lot of people who didn't know them before hand were obviously impressed with Joe Lester's bass playing. And yeah, crowd got super hyped for Deafheaven and btbam. The thing that surprised me most is it seems some people were way more excited for the Parallax II stuff than songs like Selkies and Sun of Nothing. It felt like it was a lot of recent BTBAM fans.

And yes, it was the bigger half of the venue.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:39 PM
So either make a change or shut the fuck up about it already.

Every time I've seen BTBAM the crowd has been tame. Nigs just be singing, zoned out, and jizzing there pants I guess.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:13 PM
I am not a N00B, I am a free man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDoomsayerX View Post
Nigs
Really?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:02 AM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
Wow I spaced hard on that one. Fixed it

After going there there three times, I like the metro just fine. Only issue is how hard it is to the the vocals up close to the stage. I know it because I'm standing super close the amps, but some venues have better sound clarity up close.
Well, you can literally eyeball when you walk in a venue to find out if you're gonna hear vocals or not. If there's a dedicated PA set aimed at the front rows, you'll get vocals up close to the stage. Otherwise, you're pretty much only gonna hear the sound of the amps and drums up front. Thee Parkside has PA stacks near the front, and so does the Regency I think.

The Metro really is becoming quite a killer venue to catch a show at. Super easy parking, pretty chill security, cheapish drinks and usually solid sound if you don't mind going a few rows back towards the middle. It can get boomy near the back because of the sheer size of the room and bass traps and shit, but otherwise I like the Metro a lot. The Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze fest at the Metro should be an incredible time.

I think the Metro stopped doing shows in the small room completely, but I couldn't confirm that without asking some friends.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 03-14-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Every time I've seen BTBAM the crowd has been tame. Nigs just be singing, zoned out, and jizzing there pants I guess.
Yeah I think it was the added energy BTBAM brought to the tour. There were a couple of prog-nerds next to me who were annoyed by the rowdiness of the crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
Well, you can literally eyeball when you walk in a venue to find out if you're gonna hear vocals or not. If there's a dedicated PA set aimed at the front rows, you'll get vocals up close to the stage. Otherwise, you're pretty much only gonna hear the sound of the amps and drums up front. Thee Parkside has PA stacks near the front, and so does the Regency I think.

The Metro really is becoming quite a killer venue to catch a show at. Super easy parking, pretty chill security, cheapish drinks and usually solid sound if you don't mind going a few rows back towards the middle. It can get boomy near the back because of the sheer size of the room and bass traps and shit, but otherwise I like the Metro a lot. The Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze fest at the Metro should be an incredible time.

I think the Metro stopped doing shows in the small room completely, but I couldn't confirm that without asking some friends.
Definitely it's a cool place. I just like to exercise my right as an American and complain about things I could easily avoid. The security dudes are chill but they can be odd characters.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:32 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Exact opposite in Mass. People go fucking nuts for them every single time I've seen them. Hell I got sucked into the pits during "White Walls" when I saw them with Cynic and Devin Townsend back in 2010.
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/

Tags
between the buried and me, deafheaven, intronaut