Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014

Old 03-21-2014, 08:14 AM
with his arms outstretched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
Right there with you brother. Huge Mass Effect fan myself. The new games will apparently be a trilogy completely separate to the original, expanding the universe even more.
I have no problem with that. I really enjoyed reading up on the history and lore of its universe. I just can't see how any game could be set after this trilogy. People ragged that the endings were all the same except "one's red, one's green and one's blue" but really the consiquences of the three were all totally different. They would have to program three totally different games into one game.
03/07 -- Video Games Live
Old 03-22-2014, 05:10 PM

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic series
Platform: Xbox
Released: 2003, 2004
Publisher: Bioware/LucasArts (KotOR), Obsidian Entertainment/LucasArts (the Sith Lords)

Truth be known: I am a huge Star Wars fan

Truth be told: there aren’t very many good Star Wars video games

I love pretty much anything to do with Star Wars, but up until 2003 there weren’t that many good Star Wars games. The Super Nintendo trilogy was good but there are a lot of better games out there. And for every one of those rare good games there were two shits like Star Wars: Knights of Terra Kasi, Star Wars: Obi-Wan and Star Wars: the Phantom Menace – the Game (barf). Even the much-lauded Shadows of the Empire (on Nintendo 64) really only had one good level: the first stage on Hoth. But in 2003 Bioware unleashed Knights of the Old Republic and changed EVERYTHING. Every Star Wars game that came after this has had to live up to this and the quality of games since then has greatly increased (Force Unleashed, Battlefront, Lego: Star Wars).

Set four thousand years before the movies Knights of the Old Republic was able to do something with the Star Wars license that I love seeing; that is use the lore, technology and history of the Star Wars universe without being tied down by the same characters and scenarios we’ve all seen so much of. I love Luke and Chewie but it was so nice to see something new yet so familiar. I won’t get into the story too much because I’m trying to keep these under a few paragraphs but it’s your typical tale of redemption. But it’s fucking well done. Drew Karpyshyn (who also wrote for Mass Effect) really knows how to touch a nerve with me. Everything he’s written (including the wonderful Darth Bane trilogy of books) is absolute gold. There are great characters in this game, great locations and great visuals. It’s truly a dream come true for a Star Wars fan. I always loved Star Wars but when I first played this in summer of 2007 it reinvigorated that love. If there are any problems it’s that the game hasn’t aged well. It looks eleven years old. And the combat isn’t that great. It's very similar to Final Fantasy XII but a little more interactive. Another little quip I've had with this game is that once you finish an area you can go back to it (except a few important storyline areas). The only problem is the items are all gone (obvious) and there are no enemies. So you're left with a huge, empty area. I would've preferred they either a) made areas completely inaccessible ala Mass Effect or b) (I prefer this one) have enemies respawn. Either would've been better. But the game makes up for all that with sheer awesomeness.

Its sequel is probably a better game. You can customize your characters with a lot more depth and that made for a more fulfilling experience for me. And you can get a silver lightsaber, which is fucking awesome. But what holds it back (and I mean really holds it back) is that it’s completely incomplete. The story was that the developers had two or three years after the first game to do a sequel. So they happily went about their work until a year into the project when Lucasarts said they wanted the game in four months, for Christmas. So they pretty much had to wrap up everything they had and release it “as it”. What was left was a buggy, incomplete mess with a shit-ton of loose ends and dead ends.

There was a sort-of sequel released in the MMORPG the Old Republic but it was set some five hundred years later and doesn’t answer any of the direct questions like “what happened to this character” or “how did this end up”. Mind you I haven't played the Old Republic or read any of the books tied into it so I may be completely wrong. But these characters deserve another game, not a paragraph in a book. There have been rumors of a third proper game for almost ten years. Who knows if we’ll ever get to see it, but I seriously doubt it.

Favorite Moment (Knights of the Old Republic): just being in Ahto City on Manaan, the music, the water, the sun, so relaxing
Favorite Moment (Knights of the Old Republic II: the Sith Lords): when you finally get your fucking lightsaber. It only took nine goddamn hours.

Favorite Musical Piece (Knights of the Old Republic): Ahto City

EDIT: I should also mention that my youngest sons name is Logan REVAN Clark, after the legendary protagonist in these games.

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-22-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:13 PM

So here's the tl;dr version of the list:

25. Splnter Cell: Chaos Theory
24. Dragon Quest IV
23. Rockband 2
22. The Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past
21. Super Mario 64
20. Final Fantasy IX
19. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
18. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
17. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
16. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
15. Final Fantasy Tactics
14. Halo: Combat Evolved
13. Super Meteroid
12. Secret of Mana
11. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
10. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
9. Dragon Quest VIII
8. The Ninja Gaiden Series
7. Valkyrie Chronicles
6. Final Fantasy VI
5. Final Fantasy IV
4. Final Fantasy XII
3. Chrono Trigger
2. The Mass Effect series
1. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Series

And here's a list of some other shit that should’a, could’a, would’a made this list…but didn’t:
• Actraiser
• Animal Crossing
• Any of the other games in the Legacy of Kain series
• Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and any other Castlevania game
• Dragon Age 2
• Dragon Quest VII (a game that’s actually too long)
• Fallout 3 (that one was on the cusp)
• Final Fantasy
• Final Fantasy V
• Final Fantasy VII
• Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
• Lego: Star Wars
• Lesure Suit Larry 6
• Mario Kart
• Mario Kart 64
• Medal of Honor: Frontlines
• Megaman 2
• Megaman 4
• Metal Gear Solid
• Secret of Evermore
• Soul Blazer
• Star Wars: Jedi Academy
• Star Wars: the Force Unleased
• Super Mario Bros. 3
• WWE Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-22-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:16 PM

So thats that. Thanks for reading. I hope I touched a nerve with something you may have missed or brought back some memories. I had a lot of fun writing this and Im having a lot of fun reading the other threads too. I know that doing this I really wanted to go back and play a lot of these old games. Its just time for me, most of these games eat up weeks of your life so I dont even know where to start.

In another thread last week there was the discussion of metal and peoples criticism of when are you going to grow out of that? I get those comments with video games too. Well fuck that shit. Never. Ill be thirty four years old next month, I have a wife and two kids, a really good job, fairly good health and lots of other stuff to occupy my time. Playing video games for five or six hours a week is my release. Without playing video games Id be miserable. Sure Id be a grown up but Id be a very unhappy one who drinks Labatt 50 and goes to union meetings to complain about why my dues are so high. Im not that guy. I never will be that guy.

Even now a new generation of adamclark53 and adamclark54 are starting to play videogames, so it's safe to say that by the time Final Fantasy XXXIV comes out it will still have a Western audience to mock it's character design, criticize it's story...and waste hundreds of hours of its life unlocking the illusive green Chocobo.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:40 PM
N00B

Thanks for posting this. This list brought back a lot of childhood memories for me. I'm 34 with 2 kids as well so playing video games has become harder and harder for me, but reading this thread makes me want to dust off the old SNES and just play the games that I loved playing back then. The games of old may have crappy graphics compared to the games of today but I find that I enjoyed them more and they had a greater replay value.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:36 AM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Great list, mang! Some similarities between my list and yours, and great titles on the "honorable mention" list as well (I forgot how awesome Here Comes The Pain was!!!!!).

Doing these lists and reading others certainly makes me want to get back into the good old days of gaming.... just cannot get married to many of the newer games, they just don't have that same feeling!

Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 03-23-2014, 12:36 PM

I don't know about a "good old days of gaming". Games from the 1990's have the simple charm and the strong memories, but a lot of good games are still coming out today. I mean, three of my top five came out within the last ten years. Just like music/albums there's always good shit coming out that stands alongside the classics.

"Staying power" could be an issue. I've only been into Mass Effect for three years; Final Fantasy for twenty and Star Wars for thirty. Who's to say if in thirty years I'll still feel as strongly about Mass Effect as I do Star Wars or Final Fantasy.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:36 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post

Final Fantasy is a thread on its own. If there's interest I'll do one.
Im down

Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 04-02-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
Im down
Give me a few weeks to write it up. Haters are going to hate! Big time.