Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon-- Worcester, MA-- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, ON -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 03-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
I think you confuse hatred with making a point or having a converstion. You also confuse hatred with anyone who doesn't see your point of view or has anything to say about it.
Welcome to the internet generation.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 03-15-2014, 08:37 PM
with his arms outstretched

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cured King
Platform: Playstation 2
Released: 2005 (2004 in Japan)
Publisher: Square Enix

I’ve always been a bigger fan of the Final Fantasy games than the Dragon Quest games. I enjoy them but they’ can get a bit on the tedious side (too much grinding) and they seem to always be stuck with the same design, which I went over in my review of Dragon Quest IV. But this was the first Dragon Quest game that I truly loved playing. It wasn’t really any different from any other Dragon Quests and it really was a lot shallower than most of the other ones I’ve played. But the design of the world was so great, the characters were so quirky and it wasn’t as brutally difficult as some of the other games in the series. Unlike Final Fantasy, which really suffered when voice acting was added, Dragon Quest benefitted from the addition. That's probably because they hired decent actors and they had good scripts to work with. (If you ever really read the dialogue in some of the earlier Final Fantasies, it's just as poor as the later ones). I haven't played a single Dragon Quest game since this one because they're all been released on systems I don't own or don't play that much. But what a hell of a way to go out.

Favorite Moment: Jessica

Favorite Musical Piece: Traveling

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2
Old 03-15-2014, 08:40 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cured King
Released: 2005 (2004 in Japan)
Publisher: Square Enix

I’ve always been a bigger fan of the Final Fantasy games than the Dragon Quest games. I enjoy them but they’ can get a bit on the tedious side (too much grinding) and they seem to always be stuck with the same design, which I went over in my review of Dragon Quest IV. But this was the first Dragon Quest game that I truly loved playing. It wasn’t really any different from any other Dragon Quests and it really was a lot shallower than most of the other ones I’ve played. But the design of the world was so great, the characters were so quirky and it wasn’t as brutally difficult as some of the other games in the series. Unlike Final Fantasy, which really suffered when voice acting was added, Dragon Quest benefitted from the addition. That's probably because they hired decent actors and they had good scripts to work with. (If you ever really read the dialogue in some of the earlier Final Fantasies, it's just as poor as the later ones). I haven't played a single Dragon Quest game since this one because they're all been released on systems I don't own or don't play that much. But what a hell of a way to go out.

Favorite Moment: Jessica

Favorite Musical Piece: Traveling
I totally forgot about this game! It was the only one in the series I ever played, and even though I never remember finishing it, it was one awesome game.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:00 PM

Ninja Gaiden (NES Series)
Platform: Nintendo Entertainment System
Released: (1988, 1990, 1991)
Publisher: Tecmo

I’ve written before on this very forum that if you were a pre-teen in the early 1990’s ninjas were the shit. And these three games were the shit. They’ve aged very poorly over the years (what’s to be expected from an 8-bit series), they’re relentlessly difficult and they were rebooted in the mid-2000’s but I never was able to get into them. But if you transport yourself to the early 1990’s and put yourself into my place you’d love these games too. Thing is, while the games were cool even as a young boy I was drawn in by the music and the story. The cut-scenes between stages were really unorthodox for the NES. Usually in those days stories were told by a paragraph or two in the manual and you had to piece the rest together yourself. So to have a story unfold as the game went on was unheard of and frigging awesome. And the music . That’s still the best part of these games. So many awesome tracks. The first game probably is the best of the three; the story, music and scenery are all fantastic. The second one was just as good but added some features (like scaling walls) that made it a lot easier. And the third…well it was the hardest. It was a bit of a fuckterpeice but it’s still fun to play with cheat codes. Actually, the third had a wicked sound effect whenever Ryu (your character) swung his sword that was fucking awesome. So the third games wins for having the best sword effect. And since it’s a ninja series sword effects are pretty important.

Favorite Moment (Ninja Gaiden): the battle with the masked devil (here's all the cutscenes for this one too)
Favorite Moment (Ninja Gaiden 2: the Dark Sword of Chaos): Roberts last stand (14:41 - 15:11)
Favorite Moment (Ninja Gaiden 3: the Ancient Ship of Doom): When Foster meets his fate (around the eleven minute mark)

Favorite Musical Piece (Ninja Gaiden): Mines
Favorite Musical Piece (Ninja Gaiden 2: the Dark Sword of Chaos): the Parasprinter
Favorite Musical Piece (Ninja Gaiden 3: the Ancient Ship of Doom): Lava Caverns

07/06 -- U2
Old 03-16-2014, 06:34 PM

Valkyria Chronicles
Platform: Playstation 3
Released: 2008
Publisher: Sega

Tactical combat games aren’t something I really like. If I’m going to play a “shooting” game I’m going to play one where I can just run around like a total moron and blow shit up. Not one where I have to think. That said Valkyria Chronicles is a great game because of the great writing. Even though there is a fantasy element to it this game feels more “real” to me than a Modern Warfare or SOCOM. Because this game focused just as much on the characters as the combat. There are some heart-wrenching cutscenes in this game. Too many to mention really. One that always got to me was where a sub-character had a child right at the beginning of the game, in the middle of a city under siege. It probably hit me harder because my first son was about three weeks old at the time when I saw that scene. But it hit me that during war there are people living their lives, trying to survive and trying to stay out of harms way. The story just brought out the human element of war. It was too bad that the game itself was pretty tedious. Grinding your characters and trying to get powerful enough for the next stage it a lesson in patience and free time. But for the story alone I recommend this game.

Favorite Moment: There are so many great scenes in this game like the aforementioned scene with the baby and another scene where a supporting character dies and your heart will get ripped out. But there’s a scene halfway through the game, after another exhausting battle, when the two main characters are camped out in an abandoned shack in the woods. A mortally injured enemy trooper enters the shack and collapses. They consol him as he cries out for his mother and they try to ease his pain. He dies and they then bury him. The next morning the soldiers unit come across the shack and the characters…and thank them for easing his pain and giving their comrade a proper burial. As they leave they say the next time they may meet it will probably be on the battlefield, and that’s unfortunate. That’s not something you see in games very often. Remember that scene the next time you stomp on a Koopa Troopa.

Favorite Musical Piece: the intro screen

07/06 -- U2
Old 03-17-2014, 12:18 PM

(this is the SNES cover. The game was released in North America as Final Fantasy III and that's how I always remember it)

Final Fantasy VI
Platform: Super Nintendo
Released: 1994
Publisher: Squaresoft

This is probably the game that I’ve played through more than any other game. I can’t even begin to think how many times I did it back in high school. At least fifteen to twenty times. I haven’t played it in well over ten years now because at the time I didn’t have the option of all the games there are now or the income. It’s really a perfect Final Fantasy game. The only drawback being that all the characters have interchangeable skill sets. I prefer it when a character is a black mage and that’s it. Or a thief's a thief and that’s it. In this game any character can have any skill (save one character specific skill each) and you’ll even up with a big muscular guy who’s a master of curative magic or a moogle who’s a tank. This is one of the rare games too where the main villain actually succeeds in destroying the world, which isn’t a spoiler because it happens halfway through the game. I’d call this essential for anyone interested in playing a Final Fantasy.

Favorite Moment: Terra, Biggs and Wedge’s walk towards Narshe during the intro credits

Favorite Musical Piece: Tina

07/06 -- U2
Old 03-17-2014, 07:04 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

I always wanted to play FF "3".... but never did. I remember watching a friend of mine play it and thinking "This looks boring".... I was also VERY young....

And never touched a Dragon Quest.... always was interested tho

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 03-18-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
I always wanted to play FF "3".... but never did. I remember watching a friend of mine play it and thinking "This looks boring".... I was also VERY young....

And never touched a Dragon Quest.... always was interested tho
I guess I already highly recommended Final Fantasy VI by placing it at number six. But if you're even just on the fence on it I say just do it. It's a relitivly short game (thirty hours or so) so you wouldn't need to invest too much of your life. I'd recommend looking for the PSone release "Final Fantasy Anthology". You get a direct port of the SNES version of Final Fantasy VI plus you get Final Fantasy V as well. V was a good game that just had the misfortune of being sandwiched between to phenomenonal games. And it was unreleased in North America until 1999.

If you've never played a Final Fantasy at all I recommend starting with VII, IV or VI, in that order. And the original.

As far as Dragon Quest I'd say start with VIII. It's probably the "lightest" one in the series. Any of the others require a lit more time and patience.

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-18-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:54 AM

(like Final Fantasy VI, this game was originally released as Final Fantasy II in North America and that name and box artwork is forever etched in my eyes and mind)

Final Fantasy IV
Platform: Super Nintendo
Released: 1991
Publisher: Squaresoft

This was probably the first video game that drew me in with the story rather than the action. It was pretty early in the Super Nintendo’s lifespan, it may have even been a launch title, and I’d only played NES games up to that point. Aside from the Ninja Gaiden series storylines took a backseat to action and challenge. So this was the first time I’d really seen a game with so much dialogue, such a diverse cast of characters and so many different ideas. The music really drew me into the game as well. I can remember getting a paper route when I was eleven JUST so I could by a Super Nintendo JUST so I could buy this game. So you can thank this game for making me a fat, socially awkward, isolated geek who can’t talk to girls. I play the game now and the plot and dialogue have quite a few holes in them. But aside from that there’s still nothing wrong with it. I think back to this game every time I play a newer Final Fantasy and think about how far the series has come.

Favorite Moment: I always loved the ending; it had great closure for all (but one) of the characters.

Favorite Musical Piece: Tears of Sorrow

07/06 -- U2
Old 03-19-2014, 10:56 AM

Final Fantasy XII
Released: 2006
Publisher: Square-Enix

I can’t say you don’t hear many good things about this game because you don’t really hear ANYTHING about this game. It’s another one that kind of got forgotten by time.

This game had a lot of things working against it that keep people from remembering it as fondly as I do. Its biggest problem was that it came out right at the end of the PS2’s life-cycle. So when it came out people were more pumped for Playstation 3 and everyone was getting that for Christmas that year. It had a very odd combat set-up where you basically set up what you’re characters would do in given circumstances and ran around while they did it. Once your characters were set up to your liking you could play this game with just the two thumb joysticks, and that was only to make your characters walk and change the camera angle. The character customization was a bit sloppy. Basically, you could give any character any ability. So if you wanted you could make Penelo (the frail teenage girl) your tank and Basch (the noble knight) a weakling healer. But if you were like most people you just gave everyone every ability and made a super knight/mage/ninja. In the end, I ended up using only three of the six characters for my entire playthough (although on subsequent playthroughs I tried using different characters every time). A problem with that was a problem that plagues most Final Fantasies in that the characters who aren’t in your immediate party don’t gain experience. So you’re left with three characters who are in level seventy and three who are in the low teens. Given that this game was hard even with characters in higher levels there were times were you needed the other three characters to bail you out. And with them in a low level it got frustrating. And lastly; the story is a bit of a mess. It’s one of those games where it all feels like a chapter in a larger story.

So how the hell is this number four on my list? Being sandwiched between two very polarizing Final Fantasies (X and XIII) you had a game that really went back to the purest roots of the series. I mean, this game had armor, magic, cities, dungeons; all things that the games around it were lauded for not having. It was one of the very few Final Fantasies where you would have to keep backtracking to areas to unlock further routes in the same area. Shit, one of the hardest enemies is in an unlockable area in a dungeon (a mine in this game) that you first come across in the first quarter of the game. Visually the game is very interesting, both a blessing and a curse. Most of the bosses, and a lot of the standard enemies, are designed in a way that I still don’t know what the fuck I’m looking at even after playing through the game four times. It had a very middle-eastern feel to it. That was a nice change for the series. So it’s beautiful but confusing. And like most Final Fantasies you have to grind your levels to get anywhere in some of the harder areas and I hate grinding. It can get insane, especially in the newer games, the amount of work and time it takes to gain one ability or level. But thanks to the combat system that plays the game for itself people were able to figure out ways to get to certain areas, set up your characters in a certain way and literally walk away. You’d come back ten or fifteen hours and your characters would have gained sixty levels. Is it cheating? No, I’ve always considered it “exploiting a kink in the games armor”. And I have so much fun just walking around in this game that it makes it a lot easier. I can’t imagine trying to grind your characters the old fashioned way in this game. That “kink” also makes most of this games secrets a lot more attainable than most of the other Final Fantasies, since the others all require you to actually be playing to gain levels.

I really think it was the strange combat, the somewhat uninteresting story and the Playstation 3’s release that killed this games momentum. Well, I listed it as one of my favorite games so take my word for it, go in with an open mind and give it a shot.

Favorite Moment: none really. I guess that’s a testament to how great this game is when I can’t pinpoint one moment I love over any others. I enjoy this whole game equally. If you’ve ever read any of my other threads I’ve gone on about how great Christmas 2006 and early 2007 was for me. This was the game that I was playing at that time so playing it just takes me back to a time when I was really happy and carefree.

Favorite Musical Piece: Prelude (probably the best version of the iconic Final Fantasy theme)

Final Fantasy (the series) could have topped this list. Like I said in the intro and have alluded to over the course of the thread I've spent probably more of my video game life playing Final Fantasy games than any other games. And I've also followed them pretty much everywhere they went (SNES, PS1, PS2, PS3). There are others in the series that I enjoyed a lot but they just didn't make the list. But there are some that have ranged from bad to awful. So I can't see Final Fantasies II, X, XIII or XV (even though it's not out yet I know it's going to suck) ranked ahead of any of the other games on this list, even as part of a group.

Final Fantasy is a thread on its own. If there's interest I'll do one.

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-19-2014 at 11:40 AM.