Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Old 03-13-2014, 12:03 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Vice City and MGS3 were fuckin awesome

I remember being so frustrated with the final boss fight in MGS3, even in the HD Remake I was raging at it . And you can't forget "SNAKE, YOU'VE CREATED A TIME PARADOX!"

Vice City, fuck yes. The game that introduced me to Anthrax and Slayer

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 03-14-2014, 12:10 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Super Metroid
Platform: Super Nintendo
Released: 1994
Publisher: Nintendo

I think this is the only Metroid game I ever played. And itís really the only one I want to play. But if youíre going to play one game in a series this has to be the one. This game pushed the SNES to its limits and the visuals are just phenomenal. And the game is frigging fun. And the music, itís such awesome music. Pick any song from any area, itís awesome. Itís a relatively short game by my standards but it leaves you wanting to play it again, which is an accomplishment in of itís own. I havenít played this game in well over fifteen years and writing this review makes me want to right that wrong. If anyone has a copy for sale PM me. I donít do emulators.

Favorite Moment: I liked those little passive creatures that inhabited the planet and when you saved them in the end

Favorite Musical Piece: Brinstar Ė Green Vegetation Area
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 -DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy
Old 03-14-2014, 04:40 PM

Secret of Mana
Platform: Super Nintendo
Released: 1993
Publisher: Squaresoft

A somewhat forgotten SNES gem. This game is pretty lightweight compared to a lot of the other stuff on the list. A lot of the dialogue and character design are somewhat laughable and most of the enemy design is pretty juvenile. I mean, you fight a lot of bunnies. The music is really great and sets the mood for whatever you're doing. And when it does get "serious" it gets really good. It just brings back so many great memories and is a sort of precursor to what would come later in my gaming life. If you ask me ďhow is this game structuredĒ or ďwhat does it compare toĒ, I'd say itís the halfway point between Final Fantasy and the Legend of Zelda. Itís got the action and the free roaming of a Zelda game but the leveling and equipment gathering of a Final Fantasy. If you can find this game I highly recommend it. But have an open mind, it's over twenty years old now.

Favorite Moment: When you walk around the Sunken Palace/Continent later on in the game. The music and overall mood takes the game to a more serious level. Even though you do fight some pretty powerful bunnies afterwards.

Favorite Musical Piece: Ceremony
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 03-14-2014, 08:22 PM

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Platform: Sony Playstation
Released: 1999
Publisher: Crystal Dynamics/Edios Interactive

Thanks to Twilight vampires have gotten really gay in the last decade. But before the chiseled chins, wooden acting and great hair vampires were a pretty grotesque thing. Castlevania made them a little cartoonier but the Legacy of Kain series went the complete opposite direction. Bleak, decaying, disgusting, dirty, vile; all words to describe the world of Nosgoth and its inhabitants created in these games. The first Soul Reaver is the best. The characters were so awesome, the visuals so disturbing and the voice acting was so fantastic. The game itself was a bit too easy but that only allowed you to progress easier into this twisted nightmare. It unfortunately hasn’t aged very well, as is the case with most Playstation 1 games. At the same time, the crusty decaying look of a late-nineties Playstation game sort of fits this game. It benefits from looking like disgusting, aged crap. But it's still very hard on the eyes. The series fell off the map after 2003’s Defiance which is really too bad. There never was a bad game in the series but this was so good that following it up was quite a task. I strongly encourage you to check out the entire series, even the first Blood Omen, but start with this game. It’s worth checking out just to get the visual of that faggot Edward glistening in the sun out of your eyes.

Favorite Moment: the intro cinematic

Favorite Musical Piece: the main theme
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-14-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:31 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

3 incredible choices. Been putting off doing a Super Metroid play-through for months, I got to get on that. Secret of Mana is too good.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:31 PM

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Platform: Playstation 3
Released: 2007 (2006 on PC and Xbox 360)
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks

Visually Skyrim is a better game than Oblivion. And from a design standpoint Skyrim was superior. Leveling and building your character are a bit more of a hassle in this game. But I got a complete experience from this game. So that's why it's ranked higher. And really, itís just as good a game with just as many cool things to do. Just as many quests, just as many characters. But with five years between the two games obviously a lot of improvements are going to get made. Oblivion got forgotten when Skyrim came out, just like Skyrim will get forgotten when Elder Scrolls VI comes out and blows it out of the water. Their both pretty much perfect for their times. I played this game for close to sixty hours before I even touched on the main quest. That was because I plowed through all the guilds and so many sidequests without even noticing Kvatch was on the map (which was a main city in the quest). I still don't know how I managed that. If I have any problem with this (or Skyrim) itís that I have a hard time trying to replay these games with a new character since I do EVERYTHING on my first playthroughs. So it's hard for me to find something new to do and the main story-lines are secondary to everything else in these games.

Favorite Moment: the fate of Lucien Lachance

Favorite Musical Piece: Glory Of Cyrodil
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 03-15-2014, 01:06 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Platform: Playstation 3
Released: 2007 (2006 on PC and Xbox 360)
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks

Visually Skyrim is a better game than Oblivion. And from a design standpoint Skyrim was superior. Leveling and building your character are a bit more of a hassle in this game. But I got a complete experience from this game. So that's why it's ranked higher. And really, it’s just as good a game with just as many cool things to do. Just as many quests, just as many characters. But with five years between the two games obviously a lot of improvements are going to get made. Oblivion got forgotten when Skyrim came out, just like Skyrim will get forgotten when Elder Scrolls VI comes out and blows it out of the water. Their both pretty much perfect for their times. I played this game for close to sixty hours before I even touched on the main quest. That was because I plowed through all the guilds and so many sidequests without even noticing Kvatch was on the map (which was a main city in the quest). I still don't know how I managed that. If I have any problem with this (or Skyrim) it’s that I have a hard time trying to replay these games with a new character since I do EVERYTHING on my first playthroughs. So it's hard for me to find something new to do and the main story-lines are secondary to everything else in these games.

Favorite Moment: the fate of Lucien Lachance

Favorite Musical Piece: Glory Of Cyrodil
Oblivion was a good game, but golly those NPC's were so ugly it was hard to look at the screen.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
Oblivion was a good game, but golly those NPC's were so ugly it was hard to look at the screen.
Is that why you don't play older games?
Old 03-15-2014, 01:29 PM

I didn't find the NPCs that bad to look at. Again, it was good for the time but I'm sure it's aged. I haven't played in a few years (or since Skyrim) so maybe it is that bad now.

One thing I forgot in my review that I liked in Oblivion was how the camera zoomed in on the face of the NPC you were talking to, something that was absent in Skyrim. It made me feel more like the NPC was talking to *me* rather than my computer controlled character.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 03-15-2014, 01:42 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
Is that why you don't play older games?
Yep, that's exactly what I said.

They were plenty of games with good NPC graphics at and before the time of Oblivion's release, Kingdom Hearts 2 is the frist that comes to mind. I didn't say that the NPC design made Oblivion a bad game did I? The game was actually really fun to me.