Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014

Old 03-09-2014, 01:48 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposableJustice View Post
I'm curious; I mostly played the Guitar Hero series and would have loved to buy the whole Rock Band set but it was just too much money; even so when I had the chance I preferred the Rock Band Guitar to the GH guitar, hitting the buttons felt smoother; did you have a favorite?
Rockband, one hundred times over Rockband. I actually had some comparisons in my review but I cut them. Here we go anyway. Guitar Hero felt more like an arcade game to me and (if this makes any sense) more cartoony. I preferred the more realistic look of Rockband. From what I can remember Rockband had better character customization so I actually had adamclark52 in the game, except with smaller muscles. And i agree, the guitar was smoother and felt nicer. And the soundtrack to Rockband 2 was phenomenal.

More so than anything, four players over two. And more instruments. So when my family got together more people could participate and more variation. Some people just wanted to sing, some wanted to drum, my brother is a loser so he was the eternal bass player. The more instruments was the one problem Rockband had; more shit taking up room in my house.

Guitar Hero was fun but I always say too, you always remember your first and I played Rockband before Guitar Hero.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-09-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:44 PM

I forgot to mention in my initial post on Rockband 2 how awesome the addition of "no fail mode" was. I don't care that I was going to get six percent on Painkiller. Watching someone butcher a song was fun.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 03-09-2014, 05:17 PM

Super Mario 64
Platform: Nintendo 64
Released: 1996
Publisher: Nintendo

Has there ever been a better launch title for a system? Well yeahÖbut Iíll get to that one later. Launch games are usually cool at the time they come out but are forgotten once the heavy hitters start getting released on the new platform. But Mario 64 was the first game to come out on the Nintendo 64 and in my opinion (and a lot of other peoples) the best game for the system. It was pretty simple, there really wasnít too much to it, but it set the standard for Mario games after. And in some ways it set the standard for 3D games too. A lot of times when a series that made its mark with side-scrolling games tries to enter the 3D realm they fall flat. But Mario 64 set the template for so many games after it.

Favorite Moment: Really? ďitísa me, MARIO!Ē
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 03-09-2014, 05:26 PM
N00B

It's worth noting that from Guitar Hero 4 onwards (when they went with the full band setup), they pretty much made it more and more like Rock band. So some of your criticisms of GH were basically addressed. The interface stayed pretty much the same though, leaving it with that "cartoony" feel.
12/27 - Protest the Hero
Old 03-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Close your eyes forget your name

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post

Super Mario 64
Platform: Nintendo 64
Released: 1996
Publisher: Nintendo

Has there ever been a better launch title for a system? Well yeahÖbut Iíll get to that one later. Launch games are usually cool at the time they come out but are forgotten once the heavy hitters start getting released on the new platform. But Mario 64 was the first game to come out on the Nintendo 64 and in my opinion (and a lot of other peoples) the best game for the system. It was pretty simple, there really wasnít too much to it, but it set the standard for Mario games after. And in some ways it set the standard for 3D games too. A lot of times when a series that made its mark with side-scrolling games tries to enter the 3D realm they fall flat. But Mario 64 set the template for so many games after it.

Favorite Moment: Really? ďitísa me, MARIO!Ē
I did not own a N64 but I had a couple of friends that did and I had a lot of fun playing this, along with Goldeneye
Old 03-09-2014, 11:53 PM

Final Fantasy IX
Platform:Sony Playstation
Released:2000
Publisher: Squaresoft

You could call this one of the forgotten Final Fantasies. The series was at its more prolific stage in the last few years of the twentieth century but after four games in four years average gamers were burnt out on Final Fantasy. And it’s too bad because one of the better ones came out right at the end of that era. Final Fantasy IX took the series for a bit of a step backwards. All the cyber-punk, daddy issues and gay haircuts were gone and the game went back to the series roots of a medieval themed turn-based role-playing game. With magic, knights, four person parties, small breasts and characters with a single class. And one of, if not the, best cast of characters a Final Fantasy's ever had. It really worked and it’s really too bad the game has been forgotten by the mainstream. But it’s highly thought of by fans of the series. My only problems with the game are it looks terrible (which is expected from a PSone title) and it’s too slow. Granted, the last time I went to play it was after I’d finished a playthrough of Final Fantasy XIII (which was a chaotic game) but battles just dragged for me. And in this day of chaotic, fast-paced games I don’t know if I can ever go back to this. I hope I can some day.

Favorite Moment: Vivi's reaction to the Black Waltz killing the Black Mage's

Favorite Musical Piece: Freya’s Theme
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-10-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:38 AM

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Platform: Sony Playstation 3
Released: 2011
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks

Skyrim should be higher on my list but as a PS3 owner I got burned by this game, bad. You can read all about the bugs and crashing issues with the PS3 port of this game all over the internet. I didn’t even know about them until I was about sixty-five hours, or seventy percent, into the game. Then the lag got so bad that I had to just stop playing all together. So you can tell how good a game is when I finish with I and I'm absolutely FURIOUS, but it still makes it to nineteen on my list. I tried playing it again a few months ago but my heart was still broken. That said, what I did get was one of the lushest worlds I’ve ever explored in a video game, with so much going on and so much to do. The music was fantastic, the combat and gameplay was way better than any of the other games I’d played in the series. It really could’ve been a top five game but it broke my heart.

Favorite Moment: walking around the frozen lake in the northern part of the world while Under An Ancient Sun plays. Chilling.

Favorite Musical Piece: Under An Ancient Sun
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-10-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

After the mods I've put on my PC copy of Skyrim, I can't even fathom playing it on consoles.
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 03-11-2014, 12:53 AM

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Platform: Sony Playstation 2
Released: 2002
Publisher: Rockstar Games

Aside from the very first Grand Theft Auto on Playstation this was my first experience with GTA. The first one Iím talking about really wasnít a very good game and the series had evolved a lot in the five years since. There isnít too much to this game to set it apart from any other GTA title. The biggest difference isÖitís set in the 1980ís? But I found this game better than the rest because of the awesome soundtrack. Nothing beat running people down to Raining Blood, or going into a club while Dance Hall Days was playing and throwing a missile into the dance floor. I played the fuck out of this game and the one after it San Andreas. San Andreas was really good too but the world was just too big for me. Vice City had the perfect sized world; not a wasted bit of space. Any GTA since I havenít been able to get into because I played so much Vice City and San Andreas. I mean, I played a lot of these games. And Iím still burnt out after almost eight years. I will get to V some day.

Favorite Moment: sitting in the strip club while Animotions Obsession is playing.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 03-11-2014, 07:23 AM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Platform: Sony Playstation 3
Released: 2011
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks

Skyrim should be higher on my list but as a PS3 owner I got burned by this game, bad. You can read all about the bugs and crashing issues with the PS3 port of this game all over the internet. I didnít even know about them until I was about sixty-five hours, or seventy percent, into the game. Then the lag got so bad that I had to just stop playing all together. So you can tell how good a game is when I finish with I and I'm absolutely FURIOUS, but it still makes it to nineteen on my list. I tried playing it again a few months ago but my heart was still broken. That said, what I did get was one of the lushest worlds Iíve ever explored in a video game, with so much going on and so much to do. The music was fantastic, the combat and gameplay was way better than any of the other games Iíd played in the series. It really couldíve been a top five game but it broke my heart.

Favorite Moment: walking around the frozen lake in the northern part of the world while Under An Ancient Sun plays. Chilling.

Favorite Musical Piece: Under An Ancient Sun
I never got why everyone had so many bug and lag issues, because I've never experienced any of the sort on my console version. I got the pc version though so it's rare that I play my PS3 one.