Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014
Tony MacAlpine -- Vienna, VA -- October 19th, 2014

Old 03-07-2014, 06:05 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

adamclark52's Top 25 Video Games

Geek alert.

I've been playing video games for longer than some of the people who post here have been alive. I've gone from the pre-Nintendo days to the current. And in doing so I've acquired a very impressive physic, less than stellar social skills and a vast library of useless knowledge. In keeping with the current trend of favorites lists here's my top twenty five favorite games. Unfortunately, this won't be as humorous as some of my other threads, since gaming is something I truly love and take serious.

Over the years I've had a fair number of platforms: Atari 2600, the Nintendo Entertainment System, the Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo Gameboy, Nintendo DS, Sony PlayStations 1, 2 and 3, and the original Xbox (which is not called Xbox 1 for some reason). One thing I’ve never been too into was PC gaming, because it infuriated me that every time I got a game I had to spend more money than the game was worth on more RAM or a new video card. For the longest time I based my console purchases on whoever was releasing the Final Fantasy games. But since the later half of the first decade of this century "exclusive" titles are becoming less and less. So I guess I'll be buying a PlayStation 4 with this generation just because I've been a PlayStation guy for about fifteen years now.

I will get a little long in the tooth in some of these reviews but that's just because of the passion I have for some of these games. I'm also going to try to keep it to individual games but there are a few cases where an entire series will be inducted as a whole. That's only because I feel those games are better taken as one. And in some cases I just felt like it, so suck it. I'm going to include my favorite musical pieces on some games too, when applicable.

Here we go, bitchez.
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-08-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:11 PM

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Platform: Playstation 2
Released: 2005
Publisher: Ubisoft

I really liked the whole Splinter Cell series a lot but I remember when I finished this one I thought it was the best one. Thing is, I can't remember why. What a shitty way to start my list. Whatever, I guess number twenty five could have been the entire series. I don’t think I’ve ever been as cruel to inanimate objects like lightbulbs and security cameras as I was in these games.

Favorite Moment: I can’t remember, probably sneaking up on someone and sniping them.
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-07-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:50 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Don't remember which one exactly, but I've played a Splinter Cell title on Ps2 before and really liked it. I think Tom Clancy games are cool, even though I've only owned Ghost Recond: Advanced Warfighter 2 (which was awesome).
Old 03-08-2014, 08:45 AM

Dragon Quest IV
Platform: Nintendo Entertainment System
Released: 1992 (1990 in Japan)
Publisher: Enix

I really like the Dragon Quest games. If I have any problem with them it’s that unlike Final Fantasy, which change with every new game (and often for the worse), Dragon Quest are really always the same. Slimes are always the weakest enemies that give you one gold and two experience points, Metal Babbles always give you a billion experience points and the character design is always something my four year old would dream up. But sometimes it’s nice to know what you’re getting. I really wish I could play more Dragon Quest games but they’re either on systems I don’t own (and am not buying for one game) or straight up haven’t been released in North America. Another problem with the earlier Dragon Quest games was that they weren't highly distributed and when you could find them they were fucking expensive. I wasn't even a teenager when these games were coming out on the NES and they ran upwards of one hundred dollars, each! I wouldn't pay one hundred dollars for a video game today, so take inflation into account and these games were the equivalent to one hundred and fifty dollars in 2014. This is one of the best NES role-playing games out there. It came out right at the tale end of the NES’ life-cycle and pushed that system to its limits. It had a HUGE story, one that was unheard of for the NES. It was re-released for the Nintendo DS and it was one of the few remakes that were actually better than the original, thanks to better graphics and never crashing like so many NES games I had. The only downside to that was I really don't like handheld games. Check it out.

Favorite Moment: Chapter Five, when everything comes together and (even though it’s the last chapter) the game really gets going.
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-08-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:54 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Chaos Theory is the greatest stealth game of all time and the best in the Splinter Cell series. <333333333333
10/27 - DJ Qbert
10/29 - Real Friends
Old 03-08-2014, 06:57 PM

Rockband 2
Platform: Playstation 3 (but it was on every other major platform as well)
Released: 2008
Publisher: Harmonix/MTV Games

The whole music/band game really was quite the fad in the later half of the last decade. It came in like a whirlwind and died quickly. I’ll admit that I did get caught up in it. I really enjoyed playing them (even though I found the difficulty was a bit all over the place) but more so than anything my wife enjoyed playing them. So for the first time…ever…it was something we could do together. We spend quite a number of our Saturday nights in 2008 rocking out to these games. It was one of the few things that my whole family could get together and play and actually have fun together. The first Rockband was very good but I felt the second was way better. It had so many wicked songs on it; be it metal songs I loved like Metallica’s Battery, radio hits like Dinosaur Jr.’s Feel the Pain or songs I’d never even heard of like We Got the Beat by the Go-Go’s and PDA by Interpol. Even songs like Colony of the Birchmen by Mastodon, which I didn’t really like; I thought it was just cool of the developers to go outside the box and throw in so much cool stuff. Unfortunately, once we had kids we had to put down our instruments and take care of them. And my new PS3 only has two input jacks, so I don’t think I can even play this game with my family anymore. Whatever. This game wins on song selection alone.

Favorite Moment: singing Master Exploder by Tenacious D, I hate singing but I love singing that song
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-08-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:36 PM

The Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past
Platform: Super Nintendo
Released: 1991
Publisher: Nintendo

I really am not a fan of the Zelda series of games. I just don’t get what the big deal is. Why is Link loved greater than Commander Sheppard or Simon Belmont or so many other less lame characters? I am a fan of the early, early Zelda games, specifically the first one on the NES and this one. They’re really simple games, just fun to play and not take too seriously. I honestly can’t take them seriously at all. Especially when they've tried to be taken seriously. This one is better just because, obviously, it came out on a later system and had better graphics and a story that evolved through the game rather than a paragraph in the manual (“you are to Link, be strong saving Princess’ love”). I can’t say too much more other than it’s a perfect game for its time, really.

Favorite Moment: I always liked the ice stage, simply called the Ice Palace
03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 03-09-2014, 12:45 PM
N00B

Spoiler request: Will Twisted Metal II be on this list?
Old 03-09-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
Spoiler request: Will Twisted Metal II be on this list?
I can honestly say that it will not. I only ever played one Twisted Metal back in the late nineties. While I thought it was a cool concept the graphics hurt my eyes on the PS1 and I couldn't get into it.
03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 03-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Close your eyes forget your name

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post

Rockband 2
Platform: Playstation 3 (but it was on every other major platform as well)
Released: 2008
Publisher: Harmonix/MTV Games

The whole music/band game really was quite the fad in the later half of the last decade. It came in like a whirlwind and died quickly. I’ll admit that I did get caught up in it. I really enjoyed playing them (even though I found the difficulty was a bit all over the place) but more so than anything my wife enjoyed playing them. So for the first time…ever…it was something we could do together. We spend quite a number of our Saturday nights in 2008 rocking out to these games. It was one of the few things that my whole family could get together and play and actually have fun together. The first Rockband was very good but I felt the second was way better. It had so many wicked songs on it; be it metal songs I loved like Metallica’s Battery, radio hits like Dinosaur Jr.’s Feel the Pain or songs I’d never even heard of like We Got the Beat by the Go-Go’s and PDA by Interpol. Even songs like Colony of the Birchmen by Mastodon, which I didn’t really like; I thought it was just cool of the developers to go outside the box and throw in so much cool stuff. Unfortunately, once we had kids we had to put down our instruments and take care of them. And my new PS3 only has two input jacks, so I don’t think I can even play this game with my family anymore. Whatever. This game wins on song selection alone.

Favorite Moment: singing Master Exploder by Tenacious D, I hate singing but I love singing that song
I'm curious; I mostly played the Guitar Hero series and would have loved to buy the whole Rock Band set but it was just too much money; even so when I had the chance I preferred the Rock Band Guitar to the GH guitar, hitting the buttons felt smoother; did you have a favorite?
11/19- Judas Priest