Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Judas Priest -- Kansas City, MO -- October 20th, 2014
Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014

  #1  
Old 08-14-2014, 01:47 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,888
Evergrey- Hymns For The Broken




First Single: King Of Errors

Jonas and Henrik are back in the band, they have come back in a major way. I dare say their best work since The Inner Circle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmmh69G-pt0

__________________
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
http://www.thatdrummerguy.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-14-2014, 02:27 PM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,547
Finding the new song very boring. It sounds like someone covering Evergrey. Standard, standard stuff.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest

Last edited by ravenheart; 08-14-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-14-2014, 02:30 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Finding the new song very boring. It sounds like someone covering Evergrey. Standard, standard stuff.
I guess I don't see it that way. It sounds like a step in the right direction. Glorious Collision started that process of getting back on track and this feels like this will keep up with that.

Not to say it lives up to the classic stuff, but I'm very happy with this, and knowing Evergrey's choices of Singles, the rest of the album will be better than this, which is a good sign.
__________________
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
http://www.thatdrummerguy.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-14-2014, 02:32 PM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,547
I can't hear anything in it that I haven't heard from them before. Mind you, I barely heard anything new in Glorious Collision either. And live... even less exciting.

Tom goes on about how lame and crappy life is non-stop... and I can hear it in his music. Stagnation epitomised.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-14-2014, 02:36 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,888
Well again, I'm not saying they are breaking any ground here. Just that it's a step in the right direction.

Plenty of bands stick to a central theme when writing music.I don't care about lyrics as much as I do vocal melodies/harmonies/ and of course the overall music, so as long as that's good to my ears, Tom and Co. can't do any wrong.
__________________
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
http://www.thatdrummerguy.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-14-2014, 02:50 PM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Well again, I'm not saying they are breaking any ground here. Just that it's a step in the right direction.

Plenty of bands stick to a central theme when writing music.I don't care about lyrics as much as I do vocal melodies/harmonies/ and of course the overall music, so as long as that's good to my ears, Tom and Co. can't do any wrong.
I'm a bit surprised, therefore, that you didn't get bored of Evergrey sooner than I did! Their lyrics are more important to their songs than anything they do musically.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2014, 02:52 PM
TheWildAndTheYoung's Avatar
TheWildAndTheYoung TheWildAndTheYoung is offline
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I can't hear anything in it that I haven't heard from them before. Mind you, I barely heard anything new in Glorious Collision either. And live... even less exciting.

Tom goes on about how lame and crappy life is non-stop... and I can hear it in his music. Stagnation epitomised.
Why must everything be groundbreaking/totally different for it be good to you? A band needs to be faithful to there sound in my opinion, except in rare cases.

I for one will definitely be checking this out.
__________________
8/16 - Motley Crue/Alice Cooper
9/27 - Styx
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-14-2014, 02:54 PM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
Why must everything be groundbreaking/totally different for it be good to you? A band needs to be faithful to there sound in my opinion, except in rare cases.

I for one will definitely be checking this out.
Everything doesn't, but well done for pointlessly generalising. We can all play that game; does everything have to be exactly like everything else you already listen to for it to be good to you? It's just better when it is different. Repetition is boring and a good band can easily stay "true", as you put it, to their sound without simply copying their previous material.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest

Last edited by ravenheart; 08-14-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-14-2014, 02:57 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I'm a bit surprised, therefore, that you didn't get bored of Evergrey sooner than I did! Their lyrics are more important to their songs than anything they do musically.
The only album I don't dig much is Torn. everything else I can find something to love about. Recreation Day is one of my favorite albums of all time, so I'll always have a soft spot for them.

Maybe it is because I don't pay as much attention to lyrics in songs (I don't do that with any band, including my own bands,) I just like the way things are sung more than the content. But I know I am different than most of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
Why must everything be groundbreaking/totally different for it be good to you? A band needs to be faithful to there sound in my opinion, except in rare cases.

I for one will definitely be checking this out.
I see it from his point too. there are plenty of people who feel that unless a band brings you something you don't hear in a different band, that there's not much interest to be shown. I don't see anything wrong with that either. I get excited about a ton of bands no one gives a fuck about
__________________
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
http://www.thatdrummerguy.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-14-2014, 03:01 PM
TheWildAndTheYoung's Avatar
TheWildAndTheYoung TheWildAndTheYoung is offline
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I get excited about a ton of bands no one gives a fuck about
Right there with you
__________________
8/16 - Motley Crue/Alice Cooper
9/27 - Styx
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008