Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 03-24-2014, 06:27 PM
Onioner Onioner is offline
One who onions things
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Everywhere, CA
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb420 View Post
Don't miss out on what I think might possibly be the best black metal record of it's kind since Ludicra's The Tenant.
Whoa. Wow. Those are strong words sir, really really strong words. The Tenant is my favorite black metal album and one of my favorite all-around metal albums ever, so a comparison like that is really incredible to read. I hope a lot of other people agree with you.

That being said, I think the Ludicra comparison is more apt than ever before. More than anything, I think Cormorant really had a heightened sense of ambition and determination going in. I think it resulted in an album that rocks out a lot harder than their previous efforts. That was Ludicra's strength, writing these really headbangable yet incredibly honest black metal songs, and I think Cormorant are finally the only band in the world that have really captured that songwriting aesthetic. Dwellings did rock out a few times here and there (the cool part of Funambulist comes to mind), but Earth Diver is just a whole other level of intensity and raw power.

Of course, what do I know? I still haven't heard the finished product yet. lulz for poorly timed spring breaks.
__________________
Flotsam & Jetsam and/or War Master - 7/9
Grindcore Fest - 7/12
Exodus - 7/25
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-24-2014, 08:24 PM
hb420's Avatar
hb420 hb420 is offline
Bringer of Darkness
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
Whoa. Wow. Those are strong words sir, really really strong words. The Tenant is my favorite black metal album and one of my favorite all-around metal albums ever, so a comparison like that is really incredible to read. I hope a lot of other people agree with you.

That being said, I think the Ludicra comparison is more apt than ever before. More than anything, I think Cormorant really had a heightened sense of ambition and determination going in. I think it resulted in an album that rocks out a lot harder than their previous efforts. That was Ludicra's strength, writing these really headbangable yet incredibly honest black metal songs, and I think Cormorant are finally the only band in the world that have really captured that songwriting aesthetic. Dwellings did rock out a few times here and there (the cool part of Funambulist comes to mind), but Earth Diver is just a whole other level of intensity and raw power.

Of course, what do I know? I still haven't heard the finished product yet. lulz for poorly timed spring breaks.
Yeah man my thoughts exactly! I mean the Opeth and Enslaved comparisons are still relevant to their music but more than ever it was Ludicra that kept screaming inside my head while listening to "Earth Diver".

March 25th, 2014


Triptykon - Melana Chasmata
(Prowling Death/Century Media)

With literally no introduction needed to the majority of the metal heads that revere him across the world. Tom G. Warrior is one of extreme metal’s all-time greats, being one half of the duo that co-founded Celtic Frost. After that band’s untimely second demise following their musical rebirth on “Monotheist” that saw them replace their proto-death/black and thrash metal sound with a massive gothic tinged doom metal one. Warrior decided to continue that musical path with his new band Triptykon and released their critically hailed debut “Eparistera Daimones” in 2010. Now four years later we see the highly anticipated return of the band with their sophomore LP “Melana Chasmata”. As you’ll find out from reading this review, the wait was entirely worth it as Tom Warrior has crafted what should be known as his undisputed masterpiece. A heavy as hell 67 minute melancholic trip into one of the darkest minds still making music today.
Starting off with opening track “Tree of Suffocating Souls” which is more of a homage to his thrash origins than what he has been doing lately. It’s bolstered by moments of thundering fast fills/kick drums, and a monolithically groovy riff. From there you're taken through the already premiered “Boleskine House”. After that “Altar of Deceit” which along with later track “Into Sleep of Death” are the most reminiscent of the debut album. Then another thrash track takes center stage in lead single “Breathing” followed by in my opinion the album highlight “Aurorae”. A jaw dropping song that sees the band attempting to write a post metal song with a soul stirring climax. After this the album breaks into the less accessible second half in my opinion. While not as instantly gratifying as the first five tracks, are expertly written pieces that just take longer to sink your teeth into. You have the industrial dirge “Demon Pact” which recalls his work in Apollyon Sun. As well as the beastly 12 minute epic “Black Snow” and closing mournful ballad “Waiting”.
So in closing I’d like to say why this album is so much better than anything else made by this legend is because it neatly envelopes and culminates his entire 30+ year career into one complete package. An yet at the same time him and the band are still trying new ideas and sounds out, reaching for even greater heights than they have already attained.

(Just thought I'd get this out of the way earlier, while my ideas were still fresh in my head. Believe the hype though folks that are awaiting this with bated breath. This is my AOTY I'm already sure of it, the album is just that damn good.)

Last edited by hb420; 03-24-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-24-2014, 08:36 PM
slapguitarer's Avatar
slapguitarer slapguitarer is offline
Buahahahahaha
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Jose
Posts: 5,342
Dude, it's March, not February.

Otherwise, thread is staying strong!
__________________
9/19 Punch (?)
9/27 Dispirit
10/17 Childish Gambino
10/30 KING DIAMOND
11/06 Intronaut
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-25-2014, 12:05 PM
Han Solar Han Solar is offline
Shark Trapper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb420 View Post
Yeah man my thoughts exactly! I mean the Opeth and Enslaved comparisons are still relevant to their music but more than ever it was Ludicra that kept screaming inside my head while listening to "Earth Diver".
[b][u]

You're correct, Ludicra is a huge influence for us. Great song arrangements, great riffs/drumming, and better vibe. There's a little enslaved and even less opeth though. Of course Dissection, darkthrone, Immolation/Bolt Thrower, Blut Aus Nord riffs (just to name a few) always surface in the writing process.

Thanks for the spin! Cheers -n

Last edited by Han Solar; 03-25-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-25-2014, 12:59 PM
hb420's Avatar
hb420 hb420 is offline
Bringer of Darkness
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
Otherwise, thread is staying strong!
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solar View Post
You're correct, Ludicra is a huge influence for us. Great song arrangements, great riffs/drumming, and better vibe. There's a little enslaved and even less opeth though. Of course Dissection, darkthrone, Immolation/Bolt Thrower, Blut Aus Nord riffs (just to name a few) always surface in the writing process.

Thanks for the spin! Cheers -n
You guys deserve a huge amount of credit for the killer record man! Seriously it's the best thing you've guys done yet and could be possibly be in time one of my favorite black metal records ever. I just keep returning to it over and over again. Here's to hopefully seeing you live someday that would kill!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:10 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008