Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 02-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Fragments of a sunbeam glaring on a kitchen knife

This is awesome, you should check out the new album by Indian if you haven't yet!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:57 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
I actually like The Fool a lot more than this new one. Maybe I just need objectivity and distance.. if I convince myself it's not the same band that made The Fool and Exquisite Corpse (because this new one is a bit of a new direction, I think), then I can enjoy it more. But I agree, CC stood out to me the most. And I'll give that Conan record a spin.
Yeah that was my initial impression as well. Over time though at least for me it became an immense grower. The hooks and melodies are a lot more subtle but once the latch on they stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOfDoom View Post
This is awesome, you should check out the new album by Indian if you haven't yet!
Thanks bud! And yeah that Indian album RIPS, it will definitely make an appearance here somewhere.

February 13th, 2014

Culted - Oblique To All Paths
(Relapse Records)

Culted are an enigma in the doom/sludge scene, with three members from Canada and the other in Sweden. Having none of the members make contact with each other besides email, really leaves their music with an immense atmosphere, and a feeling of desolation. Drawing from a huge pool of influences they never really stay in one genre. Using instead each sound as a different color on a painting, making their second full-length extremely cinematic in scope. Included in their overall sound is funeral doom, black metal, sludge, hardcore, noise rock and industrial tinges.With songs ranging from 4 minutes to 19 the album is best taken as a whole. Looked upon an an entire piece its one of the best albums to be released this year.

Edit: Full Album Stream

Last edited by hb420; 02-14-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:45 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Damn, this Culted album is so good. I definitely plan on checking out the new Slough Feg and Conan when they're released. Keep it up, man!
12/13 Acheron ?
12/17 Cannabis Corpse ?
12/19 Wretched ?
12/26 Macabre ?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:29 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Damn, this Culted album is so good. I definitely plan on checking out the new Slough Feg and Conan when they're released. Keep it up, man!
Glad you liked it and thanks for the encouraging words!

February 14th, 2014

Morbus Chron - Sweven
(Century Media Records)

Swedish death metal upstarts Morbus Chron made a name for themselves in the underground scene with their great 2011 debut "Sleepers In The Rift". It was savage blend of Autopsy, Entombed and the early Florida scene. What it lacked in originality it made up for with passionate songwriting. Now three years later we see the release of "Sweven" which is their best work to date. The band ventures way beyond the OSDM genre they're known for taking cues from psychedelic rock, progressive rock, and even some slight second wave black metal thrown in for good measure. They twist and push their sound into such uncharted places it becomes nearly unrecognizable as the band that released their debut. As seen in lead single "It Stretches In The Hollow". One of the most notable elements of the record is the very warm analog productions that really helps to still give it that 80's vibe. Psychedelic (sometimes even bluesy I'd say) leads and acoustic guitars slither in and out of the solid bass driven low end, as the drums veer from more laid back fills to more metallic drumming at the drop of a hat. I have even barely scratched the surface of this immense record, but I can safely say if you give it the time you'll be rewarded greatly. This will be the death metal album of the year in my opinion.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:52 AM
Altars of Radness

Your description of Sweven just makes me want to hear it even more. It sounds ambitious and it could be incredible if they've done it right. Are the tracks varied or is the single pretty representative of the rest of the album?
Old 02-15-2014, 08:56 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

I have mixed feelings based on what I keep hearing about the new album. I'm glad that Morbus Chron are evolving their sound, but on the other hand, "Sleepers in the Rift" was probably my favorite death metal album of the 2010's, so I'd be okay with a similar sounding album. Either way, this is my most anticipated release right now.
12/13 Acheron ?
12/17 Cannabis Corpse ?
12/19 Wretched ?
12/26 Macabre ?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:59 PM
N00B

So far your choices are very intriguing. Keep it up!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:57 AM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
Your description of Sweven just makes me want to hear it even more. It sounds ambitious and it could be incredible if they've done it right. Are the tracks varied or is the single pretty representative of the rest of the album?
I would say while they're not extremely varied, there is definitely some subtle variation from song to song. Some being more overly death metal than others, or some being into far left field. Overall its a pretty actuate example but no where near the best song on the album. Best explanation I can give how they sound now is early Death on LSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
I have mixed feelings based on what I keep hearing about the new album. I'm glad that Morbus Chron are evolving their sound, but on the other hand, "Sleepers in the Rift" was probably my favorite death metal album of the 2010's, so I'd be okay with a similar sounding album. Either way, this is my most anticipated release right now.
I'd say not to worry while they stray far from the path, they still retain that gritty 80's death metal part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datjazzfusion View Post
So far your choices are very intriguing. Keep it up!
Thanks!

February 18th, 2014

Thou - Heathen
(Gilead Media)

Baton Rouge's prolific sludge metal gods Thou ultimately release in their 4th full-length "Heathen" a stunning masterpiece. That weaves the melodicism and outside influences of "Summit" with the droning heaviness that made up their early work. The humungous riffs and bass lines surge slowly like tectonic plates under the earth clashing against the uplifting leads and drum work. Over which soars the throat shredding screams of Bryan Funck. All seven songs minus the three interludes are some of the best work done to date by this band. At 75 minutes long and not a bore for a single second, it's a testament to the skill of these musicians.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Sorry about the hold up for people actually interested in this thread! I will post oneright now and a couple of more tonight.

March 19th, 2014

Twilight - III: Beneath Trident's Tomb

(Century Media Records)
Twilight since it's formation has been a strange entity in the black metal community. A super group that has contained the central members of Krieg, Leviathan, and Nachtmystium and a revolving cast of musicians. After the recording of their sophomore release "Monument To Time End" they gained two more permanent members in Sanford Parker (notoriously awesome metal producer/member of Minsk) and Stavros Giannopoulos (The Atlas Moth). After adding Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth fame as a main contributor to their third album and a tumultuous battle recording and preparing the record for release. Which included the exclusion of Nachtmystium's Blake Judd from the album. After two years of waiting and through the demise of the band we finally see the release of "Beneath Trident's Tomb". A perfect swansong for the group it sees them gelling together perfectly to create some of the most visceral and challenging black metal to date. Featuring a lot industrial and noise elements more akin to early Godflesh and Ministry, probably due to Thurston's involvement as well as his signature dissonant riffing. That plus how each track is just a kaleidoscope of different sounds ranging from black metal, sludge, doom and psychedelic rock makes the album hard to swallow the first couple of times. However if you can get past that it's definitely one of the better albums to come out this year.

Listen
Old 03-24-2014, 06:37 PM
Bringer of Darkness

March 24th, 2014

Cormorant - Earth Diver
(Self Released)

Bay Area metal band Cormorant defy categorization. With each release since their debut EP "The Last Tree" featuring different mixtures of musical influences ranging from melodic death metal, black metal, folk music, 70's progressive rock, and doom metal. This great band's newest album "Earth Diver" sees the band with a new bassist/vocalist in Marcus Luscombe and also their most consistent release yet. Instead of cramming a slew of influences into their unique sound they go for a more straight ahead black metal sound that still somehow retains the progressive qualities that made them so great to begin with. Pushing that stuff to the background and having a more stripped down approach to songwriting allowed the songs to breath a lot more. Making every incredible moment more memorable and having a better chance to stick with you. Don't miss out on what I think might possibly be the best black metal record of it's kind since Ludicra's The Tenant. If you have the cash and dig the tracks on their bandcamp preorder it.

Cormorant Bandcamp

Last edited by hb420; 03-24-2014 at 09:41 PM.