Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 02-10-2014, 11:38 PM
Bringer of Darkness

HB420's 2014 Album of the Day

Going to review one album a day.

February 10th, 2014

Conan - Blood Eagle
(Napalm Records)

Stoner doom/drone heathens Conan are poised to be the next big thing in the doom metal scene. Coming off the release of two great splits with Slomatics and Bongripper, a fantastic debut EP, and a very good full-length in "Monnos". The band deliver on all of those promises and then some with their upcoming highly anticipated sophomore album and Napalm Record's debut "Blood Eagle". If you love your doom filthy with maximum distortion and the thought of a band that sounds like the bastard child of High On Fire, Sunn O))), Celtic Frost, and Black Sabbath makes you drool you have to check this out. Every single track is great and filled relentlessly with monolithic grooves and thundering riffage. The album's highlights are clearly the longer more epic doomier songs but the shorter faster tracks are amazing too like Foehammer.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Fuck yes!

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 02-11-2014, 10:50 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Awesome thread idea! I hope you keep it up. Conan has such a badass tone, though song-wise I think they leave a bit to desire. I think you'd like this, though (if you haven't heard it already).

EDIT: *facepalm* You already mentioned Slomatics in your post. Woooow.

Last edited by larvtard; 02-11-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:23 PM
One who onions things

rad thread sir, I always love the albums you endorse. Looking forward to further entries!
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 02-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

I agree with Onioner and others - you and I like a lot of the same things.

However...I'm throwwing down the gauntlet to you. I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU to say at least one of the albums you review here is "just OK".

C'mon, man. You can do it!
Old 02-12-2014, 12:25 AM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidFlame View Post
Fuck yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
Awesome thread idea! I hope you keep it up. Conan has such a badass tone, though song-wise I think they leave a bit to desire. I think you'd like this, though (if you haven't heard it already).

EDIT: *facepalm* You already mentioned Slomatics in your post. Woooow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
rad thread sir, I always love the albums you endorse. Looking forward to further entries!
Thanks a lot guys for the positive words! Oh and Larvtard if that's a pretty big gripe for you is the songwriting like I believe it is for some people trust me when I say the new album completely fixes that. It's their most well rounded and comprehensive album yet. Quite a bit of a leap in my opinion from their previous work songwriting wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I agree with Onioner and others - you and I like a lot of the same things.

However...I'm throwwing down the gauntlet to you. I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU to say at least one of the albums you review here is "just OK".

C'mon, man. You can do it!
I accept your challenge good sir! haha I have the perfect album already too just won't be one of the next couple.

February 11th, 2014

Slough Feg - Digital Resistance
(Metal Blade)

Entire Album Stream Here

One of the biggest champions of US heavy metal along with bands like Hammers of Misfortune and Dawnbringer is San Fransisco's Slough Feg. Their unique brand of folky, Celtic tinged, 70's hard rock influenced metal has been dazzling people smart enough to listen for nearly 25 years. "Digital Resistance" marks their ninth full-length and keeps their high level of quality and consistency intact. While it seemed as their career went along they started to shed some of their folk influences for a more straight forward metal sound. The new album sees them bring back those sounds in spades, recalling the glory of their first three releases. I like all ten tracks and they easily comprise my third favorite Feg album. However the album's highlights are clearly the final three songs. Especially the epic closer "Warriors Dusk" with great riffs and leads that you can absolutely air guitar too and headbang your head off while you're at it. The acoustic bits on it are gorgeous as well, I can very easily see it as well as several other songs become live staples. Simply put if you love traditional/heavy metal with a weird bent this album is phenomenal and your year in music is not complete without it.

Last edited by hb420; 02-12-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:01 AM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb420 View Post
February 11th, 2014

Slough Feg - Digital Resistance
(Metal Blade)

Entire Album Stream Here

One of the biggest champions of US heavy metal along with bands like Hammers of Misfortune and Dawnbringer is San Fransisco's Slough Feg. Their unique brand of folky, Celtic tinged, 70's hard rock influenced metal has been dazzling people smart enough to listen for nearly 25 years. "Digital Resistance" marks their ninth full-length and keeps their high level of quality and consistency intact. While it seemed as their career went along they started to shed some of their folk influences for a more straight forward metal sound. The new album sees them bring back those sounds in spades, recalling the glory of their first three releases. I like all ten tracks and they easily comprise my third favorite Feg album. However the album's highlights are clearly the final three songs. Especially the epic closer "Warriors Dusk" with great riffs and leads that you can absolutely air guitar too and headbang your head off while you're at it. The acoustic bits on it are gorgeous as well, I can very easily see it as well as several other songs become live staples. Simply put if you love traditional/heavy metal with a weird bent this album is phenomenal and your year in music is not complete without it.
I fucking knew this album was going to destroy all the way back in in January, so I'm really happy that people seem to like it! I liked Animal Spirits at first, but then it grew on me and I really fell in love with it. Even from listening to only the basics at the time of the tracking, I knew it was gonna be a really special album.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 02-12-2014, 07:01 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Never really listened to Slough Feg before, this is crazy levels of awesome!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:39 AM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
Never really listened to Slough Feg before, this is crazy levels of awesome!
Glad to turn someone unto the Feg!

February 12th, 2013

Warpaint - Warpaint
(Rough Trade Records)

All female indie rock band Warpaint really deliver on their potent blend of psychedelic rock, shoegaze, hip-hop, and post punk with this self titled album. While "The Fool" was a promising debut, it still felt inconsistent at times and off songwriting wise. Nowhere close to matching the mind melting power of witnessing the band jam out live. On "Warpaint" that band nearly comes close though, by turning up the hip-hop touches and going crazy with synth experimentation. Each song working more heavily with atmospherics than just rocking out. While the album slows down momentum in the middle, the first and final parts are absolutely amazing. My favorite moments have to be lead single (which might possibly be SOTY) "To Love Is To Die" and "CC". It's an album I can listen to over and over again, just to hear the intoxicating melodies all over again. If you dig any of the sounds above and haven't heard this yet. I highly suggest you give it a shot.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:54 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

I actually like The Fool a lot more than this new one. Maybe I just need objectivity and distance.. if I convince myself it's not the same band that made The Fool and Exquisite Corpse (because this new one is a bit of a new direction, I think), then I can enjoy it more. But I agree, CC stood out to me the most. And I'll give that Conan record a spin.