Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Sadistic Intent -- Downey, CA -- December 21st, 2013
Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-31-2014, 11:57 PM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is online now
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 22,308
Blog Entries: 19
This album turns 20 years old today

__________________
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-01-2014, 07:15 AM
dcmetal108's Avatar
dcmetal108 dcmetal108 is offline
Some People Call Me The White Devil
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,778
Easily within in my top 10 albums ever.
__________________
www.apocalypticdemise.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-01-2014, 08:27 AM
AnthG AnthG is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2,058
*insert positive comment about this album*
__________________
12/27 - Protest the Hero
02/05 - Machine Head
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Ommie Ommie is offline
Tinnitus
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
*insert positive comment about this album*
Srsly tho this album rules.
__________________
12/9 ETID
1/9 Comeback Kid
2/1 August Burns Red
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-01-2014, 11:45 AM
El Gordo's Avatar
El Gordo El Gordo is offline
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,868
It's OK. Hardly worth remembering though.
__________________
I love inside jokes, I'd love to be a part of one some day.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-01-2014, 12:25 PM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is online now
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 22,308
Blog Entries: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
It's OK. Hardly worth remembering though.
It's the most important pop punk album of all time and one of the most important albums of the 90s. It's not a stretch to say that Dookie catapulted punk music back into mainstream consciousness.
__________________
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-01-2014, 12:45 PM
elturtleboy's Avatar
elturtleboy elturtleboy is offline
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: California/LA
Posts: 3,463
After Nirvana and the whole Grunge era,the mainstream was interested in Punk . Thats what they wanted. The bands that got mainstream attention was Green Day,Offspring,Bad Religion,Pennywise,Rancid,AFI,and some shitty band called Blink 182.

This was the album that made Green Day who they were and did in fact change Punk forever. Possibly the first band to get filth rich playing Punk. This is the album that made a name for themselves(hell people still think it's their first album). I can honestly say hearing my older sister play Green Day when I was 5-9 years old as the start for my love of Punk Rock. Green Day will always be a band I respect and love. Hate em all you want. This album rules and Green Day is the only mainstream Pop Punk band that matters. Billie Joe is still an inspiration.
__________________
1/5-Cattle Decapitation/Theories
1/10-Sex Prisoner/Final Draft
1/16-Nausea/ACxDC
1/23-Harm's Way/Disgrace
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-01-2014, 12:56 PM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is online now
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 22,308
Blog Entries: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by elturtleboy View Post
After Nirvana and the whole Grunge era,the mainstream was interested in Punk . Thats what they wanted. The bands that got mainstream attention was Green Day,Offspring,Bad Religion,Pennywise,Rancid,AFI,and some shitty band called Blink 182.

This was the album that made Green Day who they were and did in fact change Punk forever. Possibly the first band to get filth rich playing Punk. This is the album that made a name for themselves(hell people still think it's their first album). I can honestly say hearing my older sister play Green Day when I was 5-9 years old as the start for my love of Punk Rock. Green Day will always be a band I respect and love. Hate em all you want. This album rules and Green Day is the only mainstream Pop Punk band that matters. Billie Joe is still an inspiration.
Too bad they split up in 2002 after International Superhits came out. Oh well.
__________________
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-01-2014, 01:00 PM
El Gordo's Avatar
El Gordo El Gordo is offline
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
It's the most important pop punk album of all time and one of the most important albums of the 90s. It's not a stretch to say that Dookie catapulted punk music back into mainstream consciousness.
I don't care if it rolls over and plays dead, it's still not that good.

As far as "catapulting punk music back into mainstream consciousness", Nirvana took care of that a few years earlier. Dookie was a big album, to be sure. Most kids growing up in the 90's probably owned it. I even owned it at one time. But to consider it a groundbreaking or important album is seriously stretching the definitions of both words.
__________________
I love inside jokes, I'd love to be a part of one some day.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-01-2014, 01:10 PM
elturtleboy's Avatar
elturtleboy elturtleboy is offline
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: California/LA
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Too bad they split up in 2002 after International Superhits came out. Oh well.
Not gonna lie. The popular singles (except September) in American Idiot were great along with St. Jimmy. And I loved Uno.




Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
I don't care if it rolls over and plays dead, it's still not that good.

As far as "catapulting punk music back into mainstream consciousness", Nirvana took care of that a few years earlier. Dookie was a big album, to be sure. Most kids growing up in the 90's probably owned it. I even owned it at one time. But to consider it a groundbreaking or important album is seriously stretching the definitions of both words.
Theres a good chance Punk would be a forgotten lost genre without this. You know all those stupid Fashion Street Punx with their Casualties shirts that are always shitting on Green Day? Theres a chance they wouldn't exist without this album. It's ok to hate this album(especially for making Punk safe and enjoyable to old ladies) but this was definitely important.
__________________
1/5-Cattle Decapitation/Theories
1/10-Sex Prisoner/Final Draft
1/16-Nausea/ACxDC
1/23-Harm's Way/Disgrace
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008