Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 01-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Billy Joel
Old 01-29-2014, 05:23 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
haha for sure. His last album was my number one album for last year. I'm going to go catch him and James Hunnicutt tonight. They're such amazing people. If you haven't heard James, give him a listen to.
I've checked him out and liked him from your past recommendations.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:20 PM
beware of the quiet one

Modest Mouse.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZOR View Post
Modest Mouse.
>"So what do you actively listen to that isn't rock or metal?"
>Modest Mouse

10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 01-29-2014, 06:56 PM
One who onions things

Hip Hop: Not a ton of active listening, but I always bump Nas and Mos Def when driving for some reason and there are some albums I do love when I'm in the mood. Still looking to get into more of this genre, Sep's hip hop thread has been a goldmine.

R&B/Soul/Funk: James Brown is awesome all the time, and Songs in the Key of Life by Stevie Wonder is one of my favorite albums. I also recently picked up an Al Green greatest hits album that fricken rules. Mothership Connection by Parliament is also fucking awesome and is one of the best late night driving albums ever. If Mitch Ryder goes under here, his All Hits album is just way too much fun. There's some others, but the above is what I regularly listen to.

Blues/Oldies: I've casually been into blues and early '50s rock and roll for years and years, and though I wouldn't say I "actively" listen to it, I always love the music when I'm in the mood for it. I've been digging Howlin' Wolf a lot lately. If SRV counts, he's always been a favorite since I was somewhat young. I also spent the last year getting into Little Richard. He's just fucking awesome in the same over the top way that James Brown is.

Disco: Saturday Night Fever soundtrack is MY JAM.

Secret Chiefs 3: I don't know what genre they are, but I don't think they're rock or metal and they rule. It's like surf music from hell, but with random exotic shit going on.

Also Soundtrack to Shaft. 'Nuff said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
And I don't mean "guilty pleasures" because feeling guilty about listening to music is fucking pathetic.
This friends, is truth.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31

Last edited by Onioner; 01-29-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:20 PM
beware of the quiet one

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
>"So what do you actively listen to that isn't rock or metal?"
>Modest Mouse

I never really considered them rock.

shut up Slappy.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:29 AM
N00B

Hmm...not a whole lot. Some musicals (Sweeney Todd, Phantom of the Opera, Wicked) and soundtracks (a lot of Disney). And like Manks, the occasional K-Pop. :P
Old 01-30-2014, 01:38 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
I would like to hear about your Outlaw Country selection. I love the genre. Do you also like bluegrass? I'm going to see a great band tonight called Jayke Orvis and the Broken Band. You might like them. Very talented musicians.
Nothing revolutionary here, I must admit. Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams Jr., The Highwaymen, Shooter Jennings, Townes Van Zandt (cross-over here between folk and country), and a little by the likes of Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Billy Joe Shaver, Merle Haggard, Scott H. Biram, Bob Wayne, etc.

Definitely want to expand the range I listen to at some stage.

Bluegrass requires incredible skill, and I totally respect musicians who do it, but no, I don't generally like it.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 01-30-2014, 03:51 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
uhhh... uh... Pink Floyd?
Purrfection.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:23 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Hip-hop/Rap - I've been listening to a bunch of hip-hop lately and generally enjoy anything from the old school stuff (Boogie Down Productions, N.W.A.) to some newer shit (Kendrick Lamar, A$ap Rocky). I really enjoy stuff with somewhat witty lyrics like Tyler, the Creator and Childish Gambino. Also, been liking what I'm hearing of the "trap rap" or whatever lately.

Post-rock - God is an Astronaut and Mogwai in particular lately.

Pop - I have a soft spot for really upbeat shitty pop music. I usually stop what I'm doing at work and will listen when stuff like "Slow Down" by Selena Gomez and "Sweet Nothing" by Calvin Harris come on the radio at work. I actively listen to shit like Ke$ha, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Lorde too.

Electronic - I used to be obsessed with electronic music. Big beat like The Prodigy and Crystal Method. Trance of any kind like Infected Mushroom, ATB. Eurodance like Basshunter and Darude. I was big on dubstep when it was first gaining popularity.

Arabic/Middle Eastern music - I've always been big on anything Middle Eastern sounding. My roommates and I used to smoke hookahs for hours on end playing the "Middle Eastern" tag radio station on last.fm. I fucking loved Karl Sanders albums.

Classical - I always have the "classics" from a lot of classical composers in my iTunes library. Also, I really enjoy Vitamin String Quartet who do classical covers of contemporary music. Check it out.

Humppa - Weird Finnish polka type shit. The only band I know is Elakelaiset who, continuing with the covers thing, do humppa covers of popular songs. I fucking love this weird shit. Check it out. The best part of seeing Korpiklaani on their last tour was they played Elakelaiset over the speakers after Korpiklaani finished.

Aggrotech - Basically a mixture of club music, harsh vocals and horror movie soundtracks. I absolutely love it. Check it out.

I never could really get into much in the ways of blues or country, but I'm always open to suggestions.
9/12-14 Riot Fest
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9/27 Blood Feast