Despised Icon-- Worcester, MA-- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, ON -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 01-23-2014, 07:45 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

I agree with pretty much everything Manks said. I just thought it was an interesting view of both the extremes.

Also, I thought it was hilarious that the first article has a picture of Inquisition and says "This is what you elitists are defending." If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the same publications that praised Deafheaven also gave praise to the new Inquisition album. It just seems to show a lack of knowledge on the writer's part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
EDIT: Although I have to say, I usually hate Vice/Noisey article because how fucking smug, arrogant, and pretentious the authors come of as in an effort to try and convey, "HEY I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT LISTEN TO ME".
That's exactly what I thought. The dude's writing style comes off as really pompous.
1/9 Skull Fist
1/10 Cruel Hand
1/16 Mayhem
1/23 Sea of Shit
Old 01-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Martin Luther was one of the great individualists of our age. Let the black metal community stand with him in condemnation of rote tradition, blind following, and the unexamined life.

Black metal is about individualism. Often times it comes dressed up in vestments of paganism or satanism or misanthropy, but at its core itís about the freedom of the individual in the face of society. It has nothing to do with elitism. Individual thought and elitism shouldn't coincide.

To borrow from Epta Astera.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:50 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

I do think it's pretty easy to become 'elitist' about things toward which you're passionate. It's definitely not exclusive to metalheads. Maybe metalheads are more 'protective' about their music, if that makes sense, but generally I think any passionate music fan has an equal chance as any other to fall prey to elitist attitudes.

And for a stroke of hypocrisy/irony/what have you, much of the criticism towards Deafheaven comes from the fact that they don't "look" metal, but this dude is posting a picture of Inquisition, basically saying "lol look at these virgins dressing up in facepaint xD."
Old 01-24-2014, 12:20 AM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

Everyone can lick my ass. Deafheaven plays BM mixed with Shoegaze/Post-Rock/Screamo. They play it cause they want. They're not trying to "take over" the kvlt scence,nor try to be the "greatest bm band ever" its just them mixing music around. People need to get the fuck over it and realize not everything is gonna sound like Transylvanian Hunger. People dont have to like it,but seriously need to get the fuck over hating it just cause the album cover is pink and not the lead singers suicide selfie. They have thier own fans. Some are die hard Black MEtal dudes and some are douchy hipsters. Who cares. All "Hipster MetaL' that gets shit for like Ghost,Sunn O))),and Wolves In The Throne Room are always bagged on from douches who wont get over Metallica selling out. Once again,lick my ass. Trve Hipster Black Metal for life.

EDIT: I just found out Deafheaven is playing a headline date on my bday weekend. WOOHOO! H8ERZ GONNA HATE
1/23-Harm's Way/Disgrace

Last edited by elturtleboy; 01-24-2014 at 01:53 AM.