ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014

Old 01-18-2014, 03:06 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Neurosis -- Montreal, Quebec -- January 18th, 2014

Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Neurosis
Date: Saturday January 18th, 2014
Venue: the Metropolis in Montreal, Quebec
T-Shirt Worn: plain black

This had the potential to be the best concert I've seen in my life, but it didn't end up that way. Godspeed You! Black Emperor has been my favorite band for close to fifteen years, and I've never seen them live. So imagine NEVER seeing you favorite band and the day finally arriving. And imagine that you were going to see them two nights in a row (because I had a ticket for Sunday’s show too) I was so excited. And Neurosis I've always really liked but never seen either. When these shows were announced they were just the icing on the cake.

I drove my family six hours from Keswick (Ontario) to Montreal (Quebec) so I could see this show. We couldn’t find a babysitter. My youngest son was getting over a cold and we both knew my oldest was probably going to catch one. Needless to say, the entire trip had been terrible. I don’t want to get into it but puking (not from illness, from running too much), yelling, terrible behavior at meals, no sleep, getting lost in a province where no road signs are in English. It's not the kids faults, they’re babies. But you ever see those movies where the parents are driving, the kids are screaming and you can tell the parents are going to snap? That was me all weekend. I don't want to get too into it but it seemed like everything was just turning to shit this weekend. Nothing was working. And it all comes to a head a bit later.

I bought the tickets back in October and was worried since then that I wouldn’t get in since I had to use my wife’s VISA and they were in her name. The promoter seemed really amateurish so it was a cloud hanging over my head for three months. I got to the show way too early to "will-call" because I thought there’s be problems, but there wasn’t! Something worked out for me. The Metropolis is actually a very nice venue. I’d go back.

After standing there for almost an hour and a half Godspeed You! Black Emperor took the stage. I was finally seeing them. And they were fucking incredible. They could have played a little longer but just being able to see them was fine enough. I got chills during Mladic. So awesome. Behemoth was a nice new song that started a little slow but after the drone section in the middle it got really good. And the Sad Mafioso should have been the full song rather than the first half but it didn’t matter. Godspeed You! Black Emperor not only met my expectations but exceeded them. I couldn't believe that I was going to get to see them again Sunday. I was happy, I was finally relaxed.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
1. Hope Drone
2. Mladic
3. Gathering Storm
4. Behemoth
5. The Sad Mafioso
6. String Loop Manufactured During Downpour...

I didn't think Neurosis could follow that but they were damn awesome too. Starting with A Sun That Never Sets was a little anti-climactic but Locust Star was just incredible. Scotty Kelly is one seriously scary dude. Again, Neurosis exceeded my already high expectations.

Neurosis
1. A Sun That Never Sets
2. Locust Star
3. At the Well
4. We All Rage in Gold
5. The Tide
6. From the Hill
7. Water Is Not Enough
8. My Heart for Deliverance
9. Bleeding the Pigs
10. The Doorway
11. Stones from the Sky

However, four songs in my wife called me in a panic because my oldest son was having a croup attack. I figured out of province health care would cost me thousands of dollars so it happened: I snapped. I drove back to the hotel and told her to pack because we were leaving. I didn't care that I'd paid for a hotel another night or had another show Sunday. This trip was over. My boy needed to go to a hospital and I knew going to one in Quebec would not work. It may have cost me twenty dollars and gotten covered by my insurance with one phone call. But with my luck it would have cost thousands and been held up in legal paperwork for years. At midnight I started the seven hour drive back to Keswick, in a blizzard. I just didn't care anymore. Nothing had gone good this weekend. Am I a terrible person? Probably. Am I being selfish? Absolutely. But sometimes *you* have to do something for *yourself*. I've made a lot of sacrifices over the years but I just got to the point where I gave up. Look at any of the bands in my signature that I'm going to see. None if them matter as much as Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Just imagine waiting over fifteen years for something and having it snatched away from you. I've driven all over gods fucking green earth to take my wife to see Bon Jovi and every time it goes off without a hitch. The one time, the one fucking time, I try to do something for myself this happens. I’ve never done anything for myself and the one time I try it blows up in my face. I don’t know who to blame. My kids? No way, it’s not their fault. My wife? No, what did she do? I guess I have to blame myself for thinking I could enjoy myself. Thank god Godspeed You! Black Emperor went on first or I probably would've seriously cried. This was the worst weekend of my life and it ended in the worst way possible.

I think this could have taken Mr. Bungles spot as the best concert I've ever been to but I'll never know. If you ever have the chance to see either band don't even think about it, DO IT!
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 -DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 01-19-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:41 PM
N00B

Should be a winner of a show, I saw Godspeed 4 years ago Front row center in Vancouver and it was something else ill tell you. 2.5 hours of a nonstop wall of noise.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:21 PM

Maybe a MOD can change the title of this thread to read "Neurosis" instead of "godspeed you black emperor"? Neurosis ended up going on last so they get the title.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 01-18-2014, 09:04 PM
N00B

East Hastings hey? That would have been sweet!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:00 PM

edited the review, as you may read it was not a good weekend.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 01-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 01-20-2014, 05:18 AM
Dittohead

Sux u had to go through that dude! Ive got 2 young kids myself (and a 3rd on the way) so I completely feel your pain

First time to Metropolis? It is a great venue and place for shows! Ive only ever had one bad experience after I dunno how many shows Ive been to there, seeing Tool on the Aenima tour with no alcohol as it was an all ages show!Luckily tho, I had enough pot to keep me satisfied

Glad u got to see yur fav band though! If anything, that is the salvage point for the whole wknd. After waiting so long and then going through what u did to finally see them...makes it all the worthwhile! Just remember those 45 mins or so while they were on stage and you can at least have a smile on yur face
Old 01-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

First and foremost, I hope your son is OK.

That said, at least you got to see a full GY!BE set and four awesome songs from Neurosis. I realize that neither band tours that much, but chances are you'll get another opportunity to see them again someday.

I feel your pain about the family getting in the way of shows and metal in general - I have four kids around the same age as yours, and any time I go to a show it's a major accomplishment to get a hall pass and I somewhat feel guilty the entire time, but luckily my wife acknowledges that I need my releases from time to time and gives me some leeway. Still, I can't just run out to every show like I used to be able to do, and so if anything it makes me appreciate the ones I do see that much more.

Just hang in there and know that one day you just might be going to shows with those little bastards - and that'll rock more than anything you've experienced thus far. My oldest is getting close to the age where I might be able to take him to something tame such as a post-rock show, and I can't wait for the day to come. For now it'll just have to be limited to movies, sporting events, monster truck shows, Indian Guides campouts and stuff like that.

Tags
godspeed you! black emperor, neurosis