Disturbed -- Fargo, ND -- February 10, 2016
At the Gates -- Fort Lauderdale, FL -- February 9th, 2016
Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band -- Hartford, CT -- February 10th, 2016
AC/DC -- Denver, CO -- February 8th, 2016

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-17-2015, 06:50 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Kalfitegrdan's Year End Thread 2k15

Yeah, same as I've done in previous years.

- Top 10 EPs
- Top 50 albums
- Top 5 disappointments

Top 10 EPs/Demos

10. Bodybag - Demo 2015

Bodybag are newcomers to the Chicago hardcore scene who play slam infused beatdown hardcore similar to fellow Chicagoans No Zodiac. The problem with most hardcore bands that claim to delve into brutal death metal is that it's only apparent during the breakdowns, but Bodybag dispel that trope right away with numerous BDM drum patterns, blast beats and the intro riff to "Tormented" that sounds straight out of Amputated's playbook. The non-death vocals on the demo get tedious after awhile, but overall this is a great first taste of a local band that I'm excited to hear more from in the future.

Tormented
Whipping Post

9. Primitive Man - Home is Where the Hatred Is

Primitive Man are back at it combining the most visceral elements of sludge, black metal and doom in their new EP. The EP opens with "Loathe", an 11 minute opus that alternates between a bludgeoning sludge dirge and feedback laced melancholia in what might be my favorite P/M track yet. "Downfall" comes next and adds some blast beats to accompany a crushing sludge riff which a relative rarity for them. "Bag Man" is the last real song and is just an unrelenting crushfest all the way through. The only real complaint with it is the last track which is a four minute noise track that doesn't go anywhere. Home can get a bit samey, but overall when the music is this good, I don't mind at all.

Loathe
Bag Man

8. Mellow Harsher - Served Cold

Mellow Harsher are a sick ass grind/powerviolence band from Wisconsin who are back after releasing an amazing demo over three years ago. Thankfully the production quality is better this time around. The music almost seems less jokey than their demo as well with no goofy sub-bass breakdowns and less over the top vocals. If you're in the mood for fast as fuck grindviolence though then this is sure to hit the spot.

Full EP (Shit's only 5 minutes)
Favorite track: Open Sore

7. Spectral Voice - Necrotic Doom

These guys came out of almost nowhere and released one of the best demos of the year. They boast a lineup that is 3/4 of Blood Incantation and play horrifying death/doom that is equal parts Autopsy and Hooded Menace. Spectral Voice know how to write a damn good death/doom song, whether it's laying down a slaughtering death metal riff, amping up the menacing horror movie vibe or just a crushing doom passage, they've got you covered. This demo sounds like it was recorded in a dungeon which adds to the atmosphere most of the time although I would've preferred a clearer production.

Rotting Auras
Diffluence of Ruined Graves

6. Goolagoon - Patrickviolence demo

If you couldn't guess from the cover and title, Goolagoon are a Spongebob Squarepants themed powerviolence band. Despite the goofy subject matter (which I love), this is some competent PV that reminds of Ceremony circa 2006 mixed with Cloud Rat and Gets Worse. The demo also ends with a Jerry's Kids cover and a cool surf punk instrumental. The only negative thing I can really say is that some of samples are too long and get a bit tedious with more and more repeat listens.

Full Demo
Favorite track: Rock Bottom
2/26 Taake
2/27 Cannibal Corpse
3/3 Conan
3/6 Fucking Invincible
Old 12-18-2015, 02:58 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post

7. Spectral Voice - Necrotic Doom

These guys came out of almost nowhere and released one of the best demos of the year. They boast a lineup that is 3/4 of Blood Incantation and play horrifying death/doom that is equal parts Autopsy and Hooded Menace. Spectral Voice know how to write a damn good death/doom song, whether it's laying down a slaughtering death metal riff, amping up the menacing horror movie vibe or just a crushing doom passage, they've got you covered. This demo sounds like it was recorded in a dungeon which adds to the atmosphere most of the time although I would've preferred a clearer production.

Rotting Auras
Diffluence of Ruined Graves
Excellent choice.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:07 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

5. Gets Worse - The Blues

This is the third of three EPs released this year by U.K. powerviolence band Gets Worse. Most of the EP is Gets Worse's standard fare of Spazz influenced powerviolence until the middle of the EP. Enter "Berk Jerker" which starts off normal enough, but after a minute veers into a Baker Street-esque sax solo into a minute and a half of power electronics/drone. It's a complete left turn from what I was expecting from this EP, it's bonkers and I absolutely love it. Oh, and the rest of the songs are top notch too.

Full EP
Favortie tracks: "Berk Jerker" "Cause For Regret"

4. Analepsy - Dehumanization by Supremacy

Hailing from Portugal of all places, comes Analepsy with their debut EP which is the best slam release I've heard all year. Analepsy's style of slam is a mix of Abominable Putridity, Extermination Dismemberment and more straight forward brutal death metal like Disgorge or Putrid Pile (who they cover on this EP). They aren't afraid to stray outside of the slam niche though with songs like "Worm Putrefaction" which has a very Hate Eternal sounding midsection and "Lethal Injection" that has some hardcore inspired breakdowns. If you're not a slam fan, this won't change your mind, but this is necessary listening for any fans of the genre.

Worm Putrefaction
Viral Disease

3. Cave State - S/T

Californians Cave State are quickly becoming one of my favorite powerviolence bands with their second EP in as many years. Their sound falls somewhere between Infest and a less noise influenced Sea of Shit, although they do delve a bit into the noise territory to close out the EP. Overall, I don't find it as their last EP, but nothing they've put out so far has been anything short of great.

Manferior
Humiliate

2. Blood Incantation - Interdimensional Extinction

Blood Incantation (featuring 3/4 of Spectral Voice) are a relatively newer band that play a spacey brand of technical death metal. Their sound is heavily influenced by classic tech death bands like Timeghoul (the chanting vocals in the opening track remind me of "The Siege") and Demilich (the intro to "Obfuscating the Linear Threshold"). This EP excels at what most bands of the genre struggle with: combining technical prowess with engrossing riffs while still keeping the song entertaining. The guitar solo in "The Vth Tablet (Of Enűma Eliš)" might also be the most interesting of the year.

The Vth Tablet (Of Enűma Eliš)
Obfuscating the Linear Threshold

1. Gets Worse - White Horse

Have you ever wondered what Spazz would sound like in 2015? Gets Worse have the answer with this EP. If the original tracks don't convince you, they even included a cover of Spazz's "Not Even Phased". Of the three EPs that they released this year, this was the first and by far the best. Right from the opener "Unoccupied Skull" a well placed Hot Rod sample leads into a devastating hate mosh/retard vocal combo that sets the tone for the rest of the EP's duration. More grind bands need to give everybody in the band a mic because some of the best parts of Gets Worse's music comes from the frantic trade offs in vocal styles between members.

Unoccupied Skull
Morning Sunshine (Negged)

Honorable Mention: Sordo - The Pain I Have...Everyday

Top splits because I forgot to include them in my list:

3. Morbid Obesity/Girth split
2. Nak'ay/Pizzahifive - Cerebral Sacrifice to the Mongoloids of Grindcore split
1. Lycanthropy/The Afternoon Gentlemen split

Sorry if you don't like grindcore. :/
2/26 Taake
2/27 Cannibal Corpse
3/3 Conan
3/6 Fucking Invincible
Old 12-21-2015, 05:27 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Honorable Mentions:

- Oral Fistfuck - Spiritual Sickening
Swiss Tech Death/Slamming Brutal Death Metal

- Anal Vomit - Peste Negra, Muerte Negra
Peruvian Death/Thrash

- No Zodiac - Eternal Misery
Slam/Beatdown Hardcore

- VHOL - Deeper Than Sky
Blackened/Progressive/Traditional Metal

- Noisem - Blossoming Decay
Grind/Death/Thrash

- Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - The Night Creeper
British Heavy Psych/Stoner Rock

- Bosse-de-Nage - All Fours
Atmospheric Post-Black Metal

- Leviathan - Scar Sighted
Black Metal

- Black Trip - Shadowline
Swedish Hard Rock

- Deathrite - Revelation of Chaos
German Crusty Death Metal
2/26 Taake
2/27 Cannibal Corpse
3/3 Conan
3/6 Fucking Invincible
Old 12-21-2015, 07:21 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

50. Napalm Death - Apex Predator - Easy Meat

After two disappointing albums, Napalm Death is back with their first good album since 2006's Smear Campaign and their second best of the 2000s (after The Code is Red). Apex Predator captures the perfect mix between Napalm's metal side ("Stubborn Stains", "Timeless Floggings", "Cesspits") and their punk side ("Beyond the Pale", "Bloodless Coup", "Hierarchies") while still having it all rooted in their unique grindcore sound. My favorite track though is the more experimental "Dear Slum Landlord" which has odd vocals and an almost industrial quality to it that segues perfectly into the blasting intensity of "Cesspits."

Dear Slum Landlord
Cesspits

49. Lucifer - Lucifer I

Johanna Sadonis (formerly of The Oath) joins forces with Gaz Jennings (formerly of Cathedral) to create a doom "supergroup" that sounds like the sum of its parts. Basically Lucifer sounds like The Oath with latter days Cathedral riffing with some of Blood Ceremony's witchiness. The lyrics are kind of schlocky at times, but call me a sucker for tradition, there's just something about Sadonis crooning about Death that's just right. Seriously, the intro verse for "Grave" gives me chills every time I hear it.

Sabbath
A Grave For Each One of Us

48. Fit For An Autopsy - Absolute Hope Absolute Hell

Fit For an Autopsy play modern deathcore for a modern deathcore kid. Their sound is a blend of djenty (for lack of a better word) metalcore and Whitechapel circa 2008 similar to Martyr Defiled's last album. Songs like "Mask Maker" and "Ghosts in the River" sound like post- genre songs played through a -core genre filter (postcore?) although the latter song meanders too far away from their core sound for my enjoyment. Fit For An Autopsy would've benefited from switching the track order around because the album starts with five straightforward songs then goes into three proggier numbers before evening out for the last few songs. Overall, Fit For An Autopsy play best when they're going for outright brutality, but combine it effectively with forward thinking guitarwork and some of the most feel bad lyrics of the year to breathe some life into a stagnating genre.

Saltwound
Mask Maker

47. Vattnet Viskar - Settler

I'm surprised this album didn't end up being as divisive (or as acclaimed) as Sunbather since it's of a similar style and has a decided non-metal cover. The post-rock influence is more apparent than on previous album Sky Swallower and evokes some heavy emotion, especially on "Yearn" and "Glory". This is still a black metal album at its core though with plenty of harsh riffs and raspy vocals to satisfy any Norwegian although most of it sounds like when Alcest would pop out really good black metal songs like "Faiseurs De Mondes". Settler's only lowlight is the final track, "Coldwar" which bores the hell out of me and not the kind of last impression that an album like this deserves.

Colony
Glory

*Side note: Since I've been listening to both Fit For An Autopsy and Vattnet Viskar a lot back to back, I noticed that the part at 1:30 of "Colony" is really similar to the chorus of "Saltwound" which I think is weirdly coincidental and pretty funny.*

Acid King - Middle of Nowhere, Center of Everywhere

I'm ashamed to say I've never really listened to Acid King before this album, but have since remedied that. Acid King play the kind of stoner doom that just puts you in a trance and before you know it a nine minute song has just blown by. It's so weird for music this calming to be so heavy. The bass absolutely pummels, but like a tapotement massage, not a blunt object to the face. This is the kind of music that almost makes me wish I smoked weed.

Silent Pictures
Red River
2/26 Taake
2/27 Cannibal Corpse
3/3 Conan
3/6 Fucking Invincible
Old 12-21-2015, 09:55 AM
N00B

Blood Incantation and Spectral Voice are nice additions, and make me realize I am stoked for California Deathfest. Ill be sure to check out the other EPs.

I fucking loved Bosse-de-Nage and Leviathan, so Im curious why they are so low on your list. And I have been meaning to check out VHOL, their debut album kicked ass.

Ive barely listened to new music this year so hopefully, everyones lists will help remedy that.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:19 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

I call it now, 3 hardcore albums in the top 50 and maybe 1 pop punk?
Old 12-22-2015, 05:33 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datjazzfusion View Post
Blood Incantation and Spectral Voice are nice additions, and make me realize I am stoked for California Deathfest. Ill be sure to check out the other EPs.

I fucking loved Bosse-de-Nage and Leviathan, so Im curious why they are so low on your list. And I have been meaning to check out VHOL, their debut album kicked ass.

Ive barely listened to new music this year so hopefully, everyones lists will help remedy that.
Yeah, Blood Incantation and Spectral Voice are two of the main reasons I'm highly considering making it to California Deathfest next year.

Honestly I think that just comes down to me not being that big of a fan of black metal as opposed to other genres (I think there's maybe 5 black metal albums on my list) and that I didn't go back to those particular albums as much as I probably should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
I call it now, 3 hardcore albums in the top 50 and maybe 1 pop punk?
Depends how loosely you define hardcore and were there even any good pop punk albums this year?..and don't you dare say The Wonder Years.
2/26 Taake
2/27 Cannibal Corpse
3/3 Conan
3/6 Fucking Invincible
Old 12-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Leave this life behind and take the next step in the right direction.

Some of the music ya dig is really out there, how do ya find it? O.o

Also how old are you?
Old 12-22-2015, 01:14 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

It’s like with anything else. The more time and effort you put into something, the more you’ll discover and the more you’ll be rewarded.

http://astrangemind.blogspot.com/