Aerosmith -- Wantagh, NY -- July 10th, 2014
311 -- Lansing, MI -- July 9th, 2014
Ceremonial Castings -- Seattle, WA -- July 7th, 2014
Flotsam and Jetsam -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 9th, 2014
King Buzzo -- Dover, NH -- July 9th, 2014

Old 01-12-2014, 06:50 PM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

Energymetal14's 2013 Thread

2013 was a year that definitely had its ups and downs, but it couldn't have ended better. Musically, 2013 was a good year for me. Many albums I reaaly enjoyed, and I went to some of the coolest shows this year. I even met the coolest girl I've ever met through our love for music (I know, super corny, give me shit for it, i dont care ) I'm gonna start the thread off with my top 15 shows of the year, since its easier for me to describe experiences than music. I might post some albums I was into after the show list, and possibly do a little commentary. Maybe not, I'm not sure. Either way, I already have the show list made up, so I'll get right into it.

Not sure if I went to as many shows this year as I did this year (maybe I did, not sure). But the shows I did go to this year were a lot cooler and more fun. So here it goes, time to start the list.

15. Rotten Sound

Bill: Rotten Sound, Hivesmasher, Panzerbastard, Soul Remnants, Boxcutter Facelift
Venue: Cambridge Elks
Date: May 20, 2013

So this was a show with a touring act and a few local openers. Not the worst locals Boston has to offer, but definitely not the best. But who care, fucking Rotten Sound was playing! One of the first grind bands I got intto, and still one of my favorites in arguably my favorite subgenre of metal/punk/whatever. So I was obviously pumped to see them in such a small venue, with no stage or anything, even though I was seeing them days later at MDF. This was also the first show I went to with my now current girlfriend, so its memorable for that reason.

First band was Boxcutter Facelift. Death/grind stuff. Not bad, not great. Okay.

Soul Remnants was next. Death metal, we were outside talking and shit. Didn't watch them.

We went to get some food, and by the time we came back Panzerbastard was finishing. I swear they only played for 5-10 minutes. Oh well.

Hivesmasher was next. Decent grind. Some drunk/high dude kept getting in the singer's face during the set. A guy working at the elks had to pull him out eventually. I think he was a buddy of the band members, maybe he didn't realize how obnoxious he was being haha. Seen Hivesmasher a few times, always entertaining.

Lat but not least, Rotten Sound. The band we all wanted to see. They kick in with their set, and its just grinding insanity. I fucking love Rotten Sound, and they sound great live. After 10 or 15 minutes, a guy working there flashes the lights and says its curfew, they have to stop. Keijo doesnt seem to care or just didn't hear the guy, so he keeps going. The guy comes up and says they HAVE to stop, which gets fans pissed. Some shouting back and forth is done, then eventually things died down and everyone cleared out. Very disappointing the show ran late and their set got cut so short, but it was still a lot of fun. And it was just a warmup for what was to come at MDF.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:07 PM

14. Saint Vitus

Bill: Saint Vitus, Pallbearer, Hookers
Venue: Middle East (downstairs)
Date: October 15, 2013

I've listened to Saint vitus for a couple years, but I missed their tour last year. So I had to go this year. Told my buddy from work about it a few days before, he didn't know them that well but likes doom metal so he wanted to go. We both had the night off, so I picked him up at his place and we headed into Cambridge. Got ready to go in , then headed into the venue. I think there may have been a local opener, but we didn't see them.

First band we saw was hookers. Typical sex, drugs, and rock n roll kinda stuff. Wasn't into them.

Pallbearer was up next. Their album last year was one of my favorites of the year, so I was excited to see them. They sounded so heavy and crushing live, I love their sorrow-filled doom. I went on a little journey while they played, maybe it was my altered state. Either way awesome set.

Saint Vitus headlined. They sounded great, I was super impressed with Wino's vocals. I think they played for about an hour and a half, playing all the songs I hoped to hear pretty much. "The Troll" was especially sweet live. My friend really liked them too, even though he didn't know them that well. He was super into Pallbearer too, even got a shirt at the end of the show, which was cool. Another good show for me.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:19 PM

13. Black Twilight Circle

Bill: Volahn, Arizmenda, Bilirubin, Blue Hummingbird on the Left, Sangus Legionaries
Venue: House
Date: July 5, 2013

I'll be honest, I'm not that familiar with the Black Twilight Circle crew. I know who they are and stuff, but I really don't know their material and all that. I just wanted to go cause it seemed like it would be a good time and I wanted to check them out. I couldn't go to the date in Cambridge on July 4th cause I had to work, but I went down to Providence with my brother to check them out.

First band was a local black/thrash band, Sangus Legionaries. This was my first time seeing them, and they were fucking cool. Some songs were straight up black metal but some had a thrashy, Bathory type feel to them. I was really digging their set. Great local band to open the show.

Next, Black Twilight Circle played. I honestly can't tell you the order of the different bands, cause like I said I'm not that familiar with them, but they were all pretty awesome. Basically the group all took turns playing different instruments within the different bands. I thought it was really cool that they could all play multiple instruments and sound really good. The last 2 bands played with all the lights off, which was kinda cheesy but it was cool. Kind of a long drive to see a show with bands that I'm not even that familiar with, but it was a good time.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:44 PM

12. Limp Wrist

Bill: Limp Wrist, Subclinix, St. Ripper, Combat Zone, Exit Order
Date: May 17, 2013

This show was PACKED. And it was so hot inside the venue, you could barely breathe. It was fucking awesome.

I'm honestly not even gonna write about the local openers. Me and my brother were standing near the back the whole time, and I really don'tr remember how any of them were, None really stood out.

Limp Wrist is a very different story. My brother likes some metal and punk (more punk than metal), but isn't nearly as into it as I am, preferring more shoegaze-y, alternative type stuff, among other things. He's not a hipster though. He is really into social justice and political stuff and is very much to the left (as am I), and he loves when bands talk about that stuff in their lyrics. Limp Wrist is especially cool to him because they are a queercore band, and my brother identifies as queer. Plus they play some sick hardcore punk. They played for probably around a half hour I think, maybe a little more, and the enbtire crowd went NUTS. I was near the back, but I could tell it was a crazy crowd. Queer kids know how to have a good time. Martin had his typical skimpy leather outfit on, and he talked a few times between songs. He's a seriously awesome vocalist and performer. This was just a really great show. My brother got a Limp Wrist shirt that is quite suggestive. If people don't like it or get offended, fuck them.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:17 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Limp Wrist would be fucking awesome to see.
07/25 - Masked Intruder
07/31 - Warped
Old 01-12-2014, 08:38 PM

11. Ramming Speed

Bill: Ramming Speed, In Defence, Disaster Strikes, Opposition Rising, Yautja, Terminal Crisis
Date: December 3, 2013

Ramming Speed is one of my favorite local bands. Probably my favorite. I've seen them 7 or 8 times now, and each time is memorable. This was Ramming Speed's last local show as a Boston band, as they are moving down to Richmond, VA. Kinda sad, but I will be there any time they come back into town. Also my girlfriend's first time seeing Ramming Speed, and she had fun.

The first band that played was Terminal Crisis. The band features members of Draize and Curmudgeon. Decent band, nothing amazing but decent.

Yautja played next. They were on tour, I think from Tennessee. They were decent, wasn't super into them but not bad.

Opposition rising played next. They are a local punk band with shout-along choruses. They were a lot of fun, lots of people were in the pit and singing the lyrics. Good stuff.

Disiaster Strikes played next. We didn't really watch them, so I don't have much to say about them.

In Defence was up after Disaster Strikes, and they were pretty cool thrash/crossover type stuff. Kinda goofy lyrics, which i'm usually not too into, but they were fun.

Ramming Speed played last. I've seen them so many times, but each time I have a lot of fun. Everyone was into them as usual. I was near the back, but they sounded good and played a great set. I'm sad to see them go, but I know that I will see them again.