Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Old 04-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

I thought Cap 2 was excellent, easily one of the three best Marvel movies so far. Like Nat said, the action scenes were outstanding.

I just feel bad for all the people working in DC in that movie. Beltway traffic is bad enough without fucking burning aircraft carriers falling from the sky.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I had to watch that TMNT trailer just to see how bad it was. Are you guys talking about the one that's more April O'Neil than anything and with the "relax, it's just a mask" line? If so, then yeah that looks horrid.
Yeah, that's the one. Even my seven-year-old son looked at me and said "Dad, that looks like it's gonna be stupid."

One more trailer I forgot to mention...I saw yet another expanded trailer for the next X-Men movie. I cannot explain how beyond stoked I am to see that film. It looks sofa. King. Awesome. Even the trailer gives me goosebumps. In my opinion, X-Men: First Class is one of the best superhero films ever made, and the new one looks even better than that.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:51 AM

Yeah, Days of Future Past is going to be fucking bonkers.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:21 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Yeah, that's the one. Even my seven-year-old son looked at me and said "Dad, that looks like it's gonna be stupid."

One more trailer I forgot to mention...I saw yet another expanded trailer for the next X-Men movie. I cannot explain how beyond stoked I am to see that film. It looks sofa. King. Awesome. Even the trailer gives me goosebumps. In my opinion, X-Men: First Class is one of the best superhero films ever made, and the new one looks even better than that.
As long as they fix a lot of the continuity issues, this movie is going to to be epic. The main thing I want explained is that in the first one, Xavier said that Cyclops and Jean were his first students, but they are clearly not in First Class. Two other things that need to be explained though are 1) Emma Frost being old in First Class and being young in Origins, and 2) how Xavier was standing and bald in Origins.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:15 PM
N00B

I'll say this: Captain America 2 had less luls than the Avengers. After the intro scene Avengers took a while to get going, and in some instances is kinda boring. Captain America 2 seemed like a Bourne movie with an energy drink in its system in some parts. While I'm not sure if it is better than the Avengers overall, it definitely moves better and is paced better, and is, so far, the best "solo" film in the Marvel cinematic universe.

The one thing that is kind of lame about the Phase 2 Marvel solo films is that after The Avengers, we know they all know each other and stuff, so why aren't the other avengers helping each other out and shit? (Spoiler ahead, probably) The only explanation I can think of that's been floating around is that the events of Iron Man 3, Thor 2, and Captain America 2 are kind of taking place at around the same time. I mean when Tony Stark might have been dead in Iron Man 3 and the papers were showing it, and none of the other Avengers or Nick Fury stepped in to investigate, it was like "well, we know why they're doing it because of the solo films and stuff, but in the context of the story it doesn't make a lot of sense", but I guess if Fury and Captain America and the rest of SHIELD were all pre occupied with the events of The Winter Soldier to really care for what was going on with Stark and The Mandarin, while Thor was simultaneously dealing with his bullshit in London and on Asgard, then I guess it makes sense, as easy and cop-out-like as that explanation would be.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Look...there are some possible explanations about why the other Avengers were not involved in the plot of Cap 2 in this article, but the bottom line to both of you is that nitpickers are never satisfied, so if that's going to be your approach to these movies then you're probably going to miss out on a lot of good entertainment value because of a tendency to overthink things too much.

Check your brains at the door and have some fucking fun - these movies are way too awesome to waste time obsessing on minor details.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:01 PM

"Why didn't Iron Man come help Cap??" "Because Robert Downey Jr. is expensive."
Old 04-07-2014, 02:37 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
As long as they fix a lot of the continuity issues, this movie is going to to be epic. The main thing I want explained is that in the first one, Xavier said that Cyclops and Jean were his first students, but they are clearly not in First Class. Two other things that need to be explained though are 1) Emma Frost being old in First Class and being young in Origins, and 2) how Xavier was standing and bald in Origins.
I wouldn't expect much of that if I'm honest, Origins is too much of a cluster fuck to be counted as serious canon. Days of Future Past is a time travel story so obviously some of it can be fixed, but you gotta remember different people wrote that to the rest. First Class and Days of Future Past have basically the same writing team, which makes sense as this is combining the timelines of First Class and the trilogy.

Basically, disregard Origins and you'll be just fine

I'm VERY stoked for Days of Future Past. VERY ambitious film for them to be attempting. X-Men: Apocalypse is apparently next up, and it you though Avengers was a big piece of superhero film-making, if done right Apocalypse will be on another level.

Last edited by Dextrimental; 04-07-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:16 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Look...there are some possible explanations about why the other Avengers were not involved in the plot of Cap 2 in this article, but the bottom line to both of you is that nitpickers are never satisfied, so if that's going to be your approach to these movies then you're probably going to miss out on a lot of good entertainment value because of a tendency to overthink things too much.

Check your brains at the door and have some fucking fun - these movies are way too awesome to waste time obsessing on minor details.
That article makes a good point about it not being expected in the comics. Otherwise the only comic series we would have would be Avengers and Justice league.

I don't really read comics (most of my interest in superheroes and stuff came through television), so i'm not really "nitpicking", more just wondering "hey, why don't they call in for backup, or something".

I agree to a certain extent of not taking these films seriously, but the "Checking your brains at the door" comment only goes so far. There's a reason we can enjoy Marvel films and the Nolan Batman films while not enjoying Transformers and Battleship, other movies that ask us to check our brains at the door.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
I wouldn't expect much of that if I'm honest, Origins is too much of a cluster fuck to be counted as serious canon. Days of Future Past is a time travel story so obviously some of it can be fixed, but you gotta remember different people wrote that to the rest. First Class and Days of Future Past have basically the same writing team, which makes sense as this is combining the timelines of First Class and the trilogy.

Basically, disregard Origins and you'll be just fine

I'm VERY stoked for Days of Future Past. VERY ambitious film for them to be attempting. X-Men: Apocalypse is apparently next up, and it you though Avengers was a big piece of superhero film-making, if done right Apocalypse will be on another level.
Well I read an interview with a guy from the team that is making Days Of Future Past, and he said it will definitely fix some stuff. But no matter what it's gonna be epic and I'm really excited about Bishop, Blink, Sunspot, and Quicksilver (though the next Avengers is gonna have a Quicksilver to, so that's gonna be weird). I'm hoping that X-Men: Apocalypse is actually going to have Apocalypse and not end up being just a misleading title that actually means something else (I wouldn't think that would be the case, but that just seams like something that they would pull).

On a side note, I know this is never ever in my wildest superhero dreams gonna happen, but it would super awesome if they had a Ultimate Alliance movie after phase 3 of the Avengers. It doesn't even need to be all the heroes that are in Ultimate Alliance, I think Avengers (including Falcon and War Machine), X-Men, Spider-Man, Blade, and Daredevil (and maybe even the Guardians Of The Galaxy) would do just fine, though the budget would be threw the roof. And even more un-realistic would be to have a Marvel Civil War movie after that, but that would be freakin' epic.