Queens of the Stone Age -- Philadelphia, PA -- July 20th, 2014
Queensryche -- Waukesha, WI -- July 19th, 2014
Killswitch Engage -- Providence, RI -- July 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-12-2014, 09:56 AM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I listened to 95% of the albums people chose on here. I gave them all an equal chance but obviously we like what we like. I don't think there are camps per se I think a lot of it boils down to vocals. At least it does for me. On the other side of that I have friends who are guitarists who ONLY care about solos and could care less about vocals. To each his own.

As far as Hipster shit goes, I don't hate on people and I actually liked Sunbather for the music. If you were to define hipster lyrics though the title track would probably be example A:

Held my breath and Annotatedrove through a maze of wealthy homes. I watched how green the trees were. I watched the steep walkways and the white fences. I gripped the wheel. I sweated against the leather. I watched the dogs twist through the wealthy garden. I watched you lay on a towel in grass that exceeded the height of your legs. I gazed into reflective eyes. I cried against an ocean of light

Crippled by the cushion, I sank into sheets frozen by rose pedal toes. My back shivered for your pressed granite nails. Dishonest and ugly through the space in my teeth. Break bones down to yellow and crush gums into blood. The hardest part for the weak was stroking your fingers with rings full of teeth..

It's 5 A.M...and my heart flourishes at each passing moment

Always and forever

Now picture those words sang as aye yi yi yi yi yi yi yi yi and if you think that's better than Jesse Leach's vocals and lyrics on the new KSE then you might be a broootal elitist or a hipster. hahaha

Like I said we had the same #1 as Rolling Stone. That would be the only time it's not totally doucheville to use an eyeroll emoticon...
So, now heartfelt and personal lyrics are "hipster" lyrics? Last I checked, you dug Protest the Hero, and Rody writes a lot about personal shit that means a lot to him, and it's in a similar stream of conscious type style. Does that make PTH hipster now? That's a pretty elitist view point. Which leads me to my next point…

Trying to compare George Clarke's vocals to Leach's vocals is completely apples and oranges. Both fits what the music they're making really well. Trying to say one is objectively better than the other is very "broootal elitist".

And Rolling Stone giving Sunbather the #1 for metal albums is almost irrelevant because a) they didn't even include it in their Top 40 or 50 albums of the year, whatever it is they do, and b) it's fucking Rolling Stone, why should you care what they think? Really, I think you're just upset that the majority of the forum really enjoyed an album that got wide spread success and accolades from more mainstream publications. You're upset because a lot of people liked a popular record. That sounds pretty "hipster" to me. So why don't you get some thick rimmed glasses, shave the sides of your head, buy an ugly sweater, and shut the fuck up, hipster.
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 01-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
So, now heartfelt and personal lyrics are "hipster" lyrics? Last I checked, you dug Protest the Hero, and Rody writes a lot about personal shit that means a lot to him, and it's in a similar stream of conscious type style. Does that make PTH hipster now? That's a pretty elitist view point. Which leads me to my next point…

Trying to compare George Clarke's vocals to Leach's vocals is completely apples and oranges. Both fits what the music they're making really well. Trying to say one is objectively better than the other is very "broootal elitist".

And Rolling Stone giving Sunbather the #1 for metal albums is almost irrelevant because a) they didn't even include it in their Top 40 or 50 albums of the year, whatever it is they do, and b) it's fucking Rolling Stone, why should you care what they think? Really, I think you're just upset that the majority of the forum really enjoyed an album that got wide spread success and accolades from more mainstream publications. You're upset because a lot of people liked a popular record. That sounds pretty "hipster" to me. So why don't you get some thick rimmed glasses, shave the sides of your head, buy an ugly sweater, and shut the fuck up, hipster.
07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse
Old 01-12-2014, 10:07 AM
N00B

Quote:

Really, I think you're just upset that the majority of the forum really enjoyed an album that got wide spread success and accolades from more mainstream publications. You're upset because a lot of people liked a popular record. That sounds pretty "hipster" to me. So why don't you get some thick rimmed glasses, shave the sides of your head, buy an ugly sweater, and shut the fuck up, hipster.
Uh, didn't this whole thing start because people were pissed off about the Killswitch Engage album being in the top 10? Pretty much EVERYTHING you described above is what happened with people when it was announced that Disarm The Dissent was in the top 10. People seemed to be very upset that a lot of the forum voted for that instead of other more underground stuff. I think the backlash against Sunbather afterwards was just a result of the backlash against KsE.

That doesn't make the negative opinions on Sunbather any better or worse or more excusable, but it has seemed to show that people who are a fan of the more obscure stuff and less mainstream sounding stuff than Killswitch Engage are just as shitty at taking criticism of a band they like than the the other camp. If people are going to be able to dish it out, be able to take it back.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
Uh, didn't this whole thing start because people were pissed off about the Killswitch Engage album being in the top 10? Pretty much EVERYTHING you described above is what happened with people when it was announced that Disarm The Dissent was in the top 10. People seemed to be very upset that a lot of the forum voted for that instead of other more underground stuff. I think the backlash against Sunbather afterwards was just a result of the backlash against KsE.

That doesn't make the negative opinions on Sunbather any better or worse or more excusable, but it has seemed to show that people who are a fan of the more obscure stuff and less mainstream sounding stuff than Killswitch Engage are just as shitty at taking criticism of a band they like than the the other camp. If people are going to be able to dish it out, be able to take it back.
I'll admit, there is fault on both ends. But I think there's a slight difference between the two cases. People being upset about KSE being in the Top 10 is like when people were upset about Anthrax being in the Top 10 in 2011. They're not a bad band, but it's safe to assume the people who placed an album like that or the latest Trivium record in their top 10 didn't put too much effort in hearing new artists. Not that that in itself is absolutely inexcusable, but considering we're people who make an effort to talk about metal with one another on the internet, it's not unreasonable to think that those kind of people would also make an effort to discover great new metal all the time. Sure, that doesn't mean people can't still enjoy "classic" artists, but it just seems like a waste of time if you aren't trying to hear new artists. I'm not saying everybody who throughly enjoyed the new KSE doesn't do that, but it's not unheard of for some of the older posters on this forum to get mad when people like new stuff.

Which brings me to Sunbather. I think the difference between talking smack on Sunbather and talking smack on the new KSE is Sunbather's popularity came out of left field. Sure, by the end of the year, Sunbather was an obvious choice for most people, but I'm sure that in January 2013, nobody thought Deafheaven would dominate year end metal lists, but it'd come as no surprise if KSE dominated a lot of metal lists. I'm not saying that necessarily excuses people talking shit on KSE, but it is different that people talking shit on Deafheaven.
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 01-12-2014, 10:25 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

everything I wanted to say but didn't know how to.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:28 AM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Ya but to fair the bashing jhdeity has been giving Deafheaven is another level than "KSE top 10 gaaaay!". That dude just gives Deafheacen shit constantly even saying a pic of them playing live music was hilarious when in reality it looked like a standard pic of a passionate band playing music (slaps end of the year thread). Like nig we get it you hate Sunbather.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post

Exactly. I wasn't judging or hating on other people's music like some other people were. I also didn't claim Hipsters don't exist then post a picture of 2 Hipsters in a Deafheaven picture. That will go down as one of the most hilarious things to ever happen on this site. Right up there with Tom G. Warrior's mistress... Well played, Slappy! hahaha

Slappy must not have seen any of my discussion about PTH with Dethmaiden and how I wasn't a fan of the last cd because of the lyrics. All that believe her, breathe her, leave her, expose, rose, disclose, compose crap was too over the top and cheeseball for me. The reason I liked the new album was it didn't have those stupid lyrics.

I don't consider cheeseball lyrics hipster. Those Sunbather lyrics I posted are 100% hipster and you know it. Unless you think weearing a sweater cap in September in California in the front row of a concert isn't hipster. BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDoomsayerX View Post
Ya but to fair the bashing jhdeity has been giving Deafheaven is another level than "KSE top 10 gaaaay!". That dude just gives Deafheacen shit constantly even saying a pic of them playing live music was hilarious when in reality it looked like a standard pic of a passionate band playing music (slaps end of the year thread). Like nig we get it you hate Sunbather.
I didn't bash Subather until the Killswitch bashing went down. I liked Sunbather but the vocals are a joke and the lyrics are hipster. That being said the music is awesome to me.

You must have missed the part when Slappy claimed Hipsters don't exist. I started to think it was just an east coast thing because New York is f'n hipster haven. Then he posted that pic. C'mon man, that is BEYOND hilarious!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

but KSE top 10 IS gay
07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse
Old 01-12-2014, 10:38 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
I'll admit, there is fault on both ends. But I think there's a slight difference between the two cases. People being upset about KSE being in the Top 10 is like when people were upset about Anthrax being in the Top 10 in 2011. They're not a bad band, but it's safe to assume the people who placed an album like that or the latest Trivium record in their top 10 didn't put too much effort in hearing new artists. Not that that in itself is absolutely inexcusable, but considering we're people who make an effort to talk about metal with one another on the internet, it's not unreasonable to think that those kind of people would also make an effort to discover great new metal all the time. Sure, that doesn't mean people can't still enjoy "classic" artists, but it just seems like a waste of time if you aren't trying to hear new artists. I'm not saying everybody who throughly enjoyed the new KSE doesn't do that, but it's not unheard of for some of the older posters on this forum to get mad when people like new stuff.

Which brings me to Sunbather. I think the difference between talking smack on Sunbather and talking smack on the new KSE is Sunbather's popularity came out of left field. Sure, by the end of the year, Sunbather was an obvious choice for most people, but I'm sure that in January 2013, nobody thought Deafheaven would dominate year end metal lists, but it'd come as no surprise if KSE dominated a lot of metal lists. I'm not saying that necessarily excuses people talking shit on KSE, but it is different that people talking shit on Deafheaven.
No, it's not. It's not safe to assume ANYTHING about someone's listening habits based on them liking any one record by any one band. People can enjoy both KsE and Trivium and then still listen to and enjoy underground or more obscure albums and artists. Disarm the Descent was my number 1 album this year, and I listened to Nails, and Mouth of the Architect, and Deafheaven, and Gorguts and any number of other obscure and underground artists and records.

Liking more mainstream artists and liking more underground releases shouldn't be mutually exclusive to each other, and acting holier than thou because you like one more than the other is totally childish, and frankly idiotic. The KsE bashing is stupid and childish, and the Sunbather bashing is stupid and childish.

This whole discussion is fucking moronic.