Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-04-2014, 10:06 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
That Craniotomy is sick, good find man! I wish I enjoyed more slam/death metal, because the album art in those genres can be so fucking cool Cool list so far dude!
Oh trust me, I understand. There's plenty of slam that I can't stand, so I can certainly see how it can turn some away. If you take some time though, there are a few guys on YT that upload tons of slam to their channels, that's how I find a lot of it. BrutalityDeath66 or something like that is one of 'em. And yes, there is for sure some awesome slam covers out there. And I'm glad you're enjoying the list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBr00tulz View Post
Very true, and I guess I misinterpreted that part of you said, and I apologize. I just like Wormed's lyrics and concept because it's different from most Brutal Death Metal nowadays. As for the music itself, like you said, I don't judge based on their lyrics, otherwise I would never have discovered the wonders of slams. I'm a person who prefers whether the vocals go with the music, don't really care for lyrics.

Also, holy shit, how have I never heard Craniotomy before?
No apologies needed, man. I knew what you meant, I was just sayin'.

That's exactly what I said when I found these guys. Never heard of 'em, and they've been around since '98, with 4 full length's out. Their first album kinda sucked, but the next two were very good. Not sure why these guys aren't more well known.

07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm
Old 01-05-2014, 04:42 AM

Extermination Dismemberment
Serial Urbicide
Genre: Slam Death Metal

Not going to say much the others that have mentioned this album didn't already say. This is without a doubt the heaviest album I listened to this year. Granted I don't listen to hundreds of albums each year like some do (nothing wrong w/ that, just sayin'), I'll put this album up against any for heaviest of the year. The slams are sludgy and heavy, the guitar tone is almost perfect for slam. The bass drops are just fucking insanely heavy. Yes, they're there for the sake of being heavy. Stupid heavy. So heavy the recording level is blatantly turned down, and there is still crackling going on. The drummer is talented, both on the snare and the bass drum. None of the tinny, uneven blast beats we here from many Brutal Death bands. The first few times I listened, I though the vocalist was pretty average, but after a few more listens, the vokes started to grow. The guy is pretty talented, can spew some long ass growls and gurgles without sounding too burpy or farty. And NO PIG SQUEALS! The opener, 'Disemboweled Engorgement' and the title track are my favorite tunes. The bass drop into the slam in the title track is fucking beyond heavy. This album was in the 20's on my list after the first couple listens, but each time I blasted it while lifting it made me roar with every rep. That tends to give it a boost! The more I listen to it, the more I think if I re-arranged the list now, it might be even higher! Most people here won't like it, but any Brutal Death fan (don't neccessarilly have to be a slam fan) would almost assuredly love this.

Serial Urbicide

08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
Old 01-05-2014, 04:57 AM

Now fer 'da top 10........

Gutfucked
Fucked to Death
Genre: Slam Death Metal/Grindcore

A pretty unique sounding band here. They call themselves "Slamming Goregrind". Fairly accurate description, but I'll chat a little more (not that anyone cares) about their style. Brutal Death with heavy aspects of slam and grindcore, as well as some tech death. The vocalist is pretty solid, he has a good range. Gurgles, some shrieks, and his main vocals are tough to explain, sort of like a toilet flushing and the crackling of an open fire (if that's not the dumbest description you've ever read..........). Production is kind of poop, which is a bummer. But the band mixes heavy slams, solid guitar riffs, and some self absorbed oodly riffs. A lot of slam bands use samples, some of which work, others are just stupid. These guys use clips from comedies, I almost split a gut when I heard the sample they used from "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story". Really unique and fun slam.

Fucked to Death

08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
Old 01-05-2014, 07:31 AM

Katalepsy
Autopsychosis
Genre: Brutal Death Metal

I had listened to some Katalepsy before this one, and was never really all that impressed. Decent slammy brutal death, but nothing outstanding or creative. Figured I'd give this one a spin and man, am I glad I did. Did some research, and the band has had a ton of lineup changes over the years. They've been around since '03 which is nice to see in a Brutal Death band, and have finally made an outstanding album. Straight up heavy ass brutal death with aspects of slam and tech death. Almost a Cannibal Corpse/Devourment hybrid, I guess. Probably a better anology, but that's what comes to mind without thinking much. Perhaps even a touch of deathcore as well. Guitar playing is very nice, reminds me of Dying Fetus a bit, as far as style and approximation of technical riffs. Drumming is very powerful, and all the instruments mesh well together. Bass is inaudible at times, but noticeable and powerful at others. Again, it all meshes well. Their vocalist is pretty talented. His normal growls remind me of a Glen Benton/John Gallagher hybrid, and once in a while he will use some very impressive slam-style gurgles. And a rarity in gurgles, some of them are slightly audible. Album is overall extremely brutal and heavy without being full-on brutal for brutal's sake. One of the top 5 of the year in terms of heaviness for me. No tunes really stick out to me as particularly outstanding, rather there simply isn't a weak song. 10 soild tunes here. If hard pressed to choose, I'd go with the openers 'Lurking in the Depth' and 'Evidence of Near Death (E.N.D.)' as the best. I know most people won't check this out due to the rest of my list, but I really believe fans of any subgenre of Death Metal will really enjoy this album. Highly suggest you take a few minutes and listen.

Autopsychosis (Full Album)

08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
Old 01-05-2014, 08:38 AM
N00B

Yeah, I feel Autopsychosis was a HUGE step up from Musick Brings Injuries, personally. Hell, as soon as the opening track started, I knew what I was in for.
8/10 - Whitechapel
8/24 - Sleep
9/04 - Arsis
Old 01-05-2014, 09:33 AM
...the dead are among us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
Gutfucked
Fucked to Death
I saw these guys in 2012 on a bill of all slam/brootal death bands and they actually stood out. I'll check this one out. Thanks.
8/30 - Morbid Saint / Vektor
Old 01-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Headbanger

Quote:

Gutfucked
Fucked to Death

A pretty unique sounding band here. They call themselves "Slamming Goregrind". Fairly accurate description, but I'll chat a little more (not that anyone cares) about their style. Brutal Death with heavy aspects of slam and grindcore, as well as some tech death. The vocalist is pretty solid, he has a good range. Gurgles, some shrieks, and his main vocals are tough to explain, sort of like a toilet flushing and the crackling of an open fire (if that's not the dumbest description you've ever read..........). Production is kind of poop, which is a bummer. But the band mixes heavy slams, solid guitar riffs, and some self absorbed oodly riffs. A lot of slam bands use samples, some of which work, others are just stupid. These guys use clips from comedies, I almost split a gut when I heard the sample they used from "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story". Really unique and fun slam.

Fucked to Death
Usually I get a chuckle out of the bug splatter logos but this one is actually cool. I dig the artwork also. Doubt I would dig the toilet flushing fire cracklin' vocals but I'm gonna give em a whirl anyway
Old 01-05-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBr00tulz View Post
Yeah, I feel Autopsychosis was a HUGE step up from Musick Brings Injuries, personally. Hell, as soon as the opening track started, I knew what I was in for.
For sure, brutally heavy from the start. I didn't like their former vocalist's style on Musick Brings Injuries. Wasn't a bad album, but very blah as far as the vocals go. The same guy was on their 2010 EP (the name escapes me), and he sounded much better on that one. Their current guy though, I think is great.

08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
Old 01-05-2014, 10:38 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:

Gutfucked
Fucked to Death

Fucked to Death
Hahahahaha the intro music is from an anime called Elfen Lied, random!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Usually I get a chuckle out of the bug splatter logos but this one is actually cool. I dig the artwork also. Doubt I would dig the toilet flushing fire cracklin' vocals but I'm gonna give em a whirl anyway
Same here, most of 'em you can't even read. Yeah the vocals certainly aren't for everyone, but I bet you'll like the music.

08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)