Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Skid Row -- Toronto, ON -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-31-2013, 07:50 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Carcass
Surgical Steel
Genre: Death Metal/Death n' Roll

Sure, I'll be lambasted for some for having this lower than others on my list as it goes on. It's all about what sounds good to me. I really wanted to like this album more than I did. I still like it, and while it has some awesome riffs and crazy drumming, I'm not a fan of raspy vocals. I like my death metal to be more grunty/growly. Not that they're bad, just not my cup of tea. But again, the musicianship on this record is great. Some absolutely awesome riffs, great drumming, and many songs have speedy sections that could induce epilectic seizures. Enjoyable listen.

Surgical Steel (full album)

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-31-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
Yeah its a good album but I still really love the last one.
EVIL FUCKIN' FEARS ME!!!

I kid, cause that's one of the few songs from their last album I actually like.

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-31-2013, 08:02 AM

Hatebreed
The Divinity of Purpose
Genre: Hardcore/Metalcore

As I touched on when I mentioned this im my Top 5 Disappointments, I don't think it's a bad album, it's just not good for Hatebreed. I still listen to the album as there are some good songs, especially the opener. Plenty of great breakdowns, heavy guitars, solid drumming and decent songwriting, but not a whole lot stands out. Jamey's voice isn't quite outstanding anymore, and many of the riffs are rehased. But again, there are still some good songs, and is still worth a listen. It's a slight improvement over their last album, and as always seems to be the case w/ Hatebreed albums, the production is top-notch.

Put It to the Torch
Idoloized and Vilified

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-31-2013, 08:32 AM

Killswitch Engage
Disarm the Descent
Genre: Metalcore

Was never a big KSE fan, but I have several friends who are, and have subsequently heard plenty of them. I must say I was pleasantly suprised, as I actually enjoyed this album. It's nothing that I listen to a lot, but it's a good spin. First quarter of the album is it's strongest. Should the rest of the album have kept up with the beginning, it could have made my top 10. Throughout the album though, the guitars sound great and the drumming is outstanding. The opening track, 'The Hell in Me' is a great tune. Overall, I prefer Jesse to Howard, so that also gives the album a little boost.

The Hell in Me
In Due Time The Hell in Me

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-01-2014, 10:15 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post

Harm's Way
Blinded
Genre: Hardcore

This is the first Harm's Way record I've actually sat down and listened to. Was suprised. I always thought they were more of a straight up hardcore band, but this is pretty unique. It's a very angry and negative sounding album, which is I usually like. They lace their angry ass hardcore with metal and even some hints of industrial and atmospheric and noise overtones. I usually don't care for those, but it works here. I feel like this band has a generally negative opinion of the human race. As do I, which makes me like this record a little more. Bad ass vocals and heavily distorted guitars exacerbate this tone. Metal fans of many genres would probably enjoy this.

Blinded (full album)
You should definitely check out their previous album, Isolation. Negative as fuck hardcore, but with less of the Swedish death metal influence that's on this one. The breakdown in the title track is so stupid heavy.
9/6 Weekend Nachos
9/12 Sete Star Sept
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
Old 01-02-2014, 03:50 AM

Winds of Plague
Resistance
Genre: Melodic Deathcore

Lambast away. Didn't expect a whole lot from this album, as WOP's last album sucked, IMO. This isn't anything ground breaking or new, and while it doesn't come close to 'Decimate The Weak' (their debut and best album by far), it could rival 'The Great Stone War'. The best way I can describe this album is that it's a fun listen. Basic riffs and breakdowns, fairly generic vocals, but again, a fun listen. Production is a lot more clear and even than their last album, without being overproduced. I do however, miss the technical riffage that we heard in their first 2 albums. I'm thinking the band wants to stay straight forward and heavy, rather than technical.

Open the Gates of Hell
Sewer Mouth

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-02-2014, 05:03 AM

Entrails
Raging Death
Genre: Swedish Death Metal

Some old school sounding Swedish Death Metal right here, my boys. Was introduced to these guys by a dude who works in the same building as me. Apparently their last album, 'The Tomb Awaits' was universally acclaimed, and considered one of the best death metal albums of 2011. Need to check that one out. Straight forward, old school sounding death metal. Thick and crunchy guitars and pounding bass. Clean, yet still a little fuzzy, production. The kind of production I think works great for old school death metal. A lot of the tunes have some awesomely complex structures without getting wank. Lot's of different riffs and tempos. Track #5, 'Cadaverous Stench', is an absolutely gorgeous tune. Slow, groovy and technical, reminds me a lot of Cannibal Corpse's 'Gallery of Suicide'. An excellent track, one of my top songs of the year. Unfortunately, no vid of it on YouTube. I can't picture any old school death metal fan not enjoying these guys.

In Pieces
Bloodhammer

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-02-2014, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
You should definitely check out their previous album, Isolation. Negative as fuck hardcore, but with less of the Swedish death metal influence that's on this one. The breakdown in the title track is so stupid heavy.
Will do, and thanks for the head's up.

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-02-2014, 08:03 AM

Guttural Secrete
Nourishing the Spoil
Genre: Technical Brutal Death Metal

Gotten into Brutal Death Metal (and all it's annoyingly-named subgenres) big time over the past 2 years. For those that aren't familiar, these guys are a very unique blend of brutal death, tech death, slam, and grind. Not unlike Benighted, for those of you who are familiar w/ those psychotic Frenchmen. This is a catchy and brutal-ass death metal record. Plenty of techincal doodles that don't go into wank levels, crazy ass guitar riffs, heavy bass drops and killer slams and breakdowns. I hesitate to use the term breakdown, cause they're more slammy than chuggy. The vocals are a little generic, but their vocalist is certainly talented, and mixes up typical death metal grunts w/ slam gurgles. 'Stainless Conception' (lovely lyrics) and 'Serrated Impurities' are my favorite tracks. I was bummed to hear these guys broke up this year, but according to their FB page, it sounds as though they're making another album and self-releasing it this year. Great news, cause these guys have been around for 10+ years, which is a long ass time for a BDM band nowadays. I really think any death metal fan will dig this.

Nourishing the Spoil (full album)

11/25-Slayer (?)

Last edited by hellawaits77ny; 01-02-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:18 AM

Warbringer
IV: Empires Collapse
Genre: Thrash Metal

I've never really gotten into Warbringer, mostly because the older I get, the less I like thrash, and the more I've gotten into death metal. I didn't check out their last album, and didn't really like their first 2, although I will say these guys are an outstanding live band, and I have the utmost respect for them seeing how much they tour and how hard they bust their asses. Didn't expect much from this album, especially seeing how many lineup changes they've had the past couple years. Man, I was pleasantly suprised. This album fucking shreds. Some absolutely riff-o-rama here. Without a doubt some of the best riffs of the year. I find a lot of thrash metal vocals cheesy, but I like what their vocalist does on this album. And the thing that sticks out to the most besides the quality of the riffs is how the album doesn't get stale. At least not to me. 'Horizon' and 'Black Sun, Black Moon' are my favorite tracks. This album requires almost non-stop air guitar. Preferably in public.

IV: Empires Collapse (full album)

11/25-Slayer (?)